Idea: Good Game, Bad Game vote button.

IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
edited March 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hello, I have a simple idea that may help give Unknown Worlds a more useful glimpse into the status of their game.

The idea is simple, just like Vote Concede, we have a Vote Good Game and Vote Bad Game options. If 51% vote good game, the game is logged as a good game, if 51% vote bad game, the game is logged as a bad game. If not enough vote, the game is logged as Neutral Game.

The statistics would be sent off somewhere (ns2stats?) to be turned into a pie chart of some sort for later consumption.

Players can vote any time during the round, and they can change their vote any time they want as well. The votes are only tallied up at the end of a round.

I believe this simply feature will greatly change how ns2 is developed, instead of focusing mainly on wins/loss ratios it should be focused on good games/bad game ratios.

This wouldn't rank games, it wouldn't rank players, it would be purely "Did I have fun that last round?" If a game isn't fun/enjoyable, why play it?

Please post whether you agree, disagree or don't care so the thread doesn't die.

Comments

• rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    I'll tell you what constitutes a bad game. Either bad comms who don't know what they are doing and usually don't have a mic, AFK'ers on team (i dont mind AFK'ers on readyroom), or stacked teams where the skill differential is 10x as in 10x more kills in 5 minutes..
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    What would it accomplish? It would give some direct feedback to the developers about whether their game is good or bad... subjective is exactly how it should be. "Do you like this game?" - "Well subjectively I hate it, but objectively it's great"...

UWE can look at the stats go "hmm, looks like people are enjoying the game more this patch, let's find out what we did" or "hmm, looks like only 3% of people actually enjoy the game... let's find out what's wrong". Instead of just going (50/50 win/loss ratio, games balanced, job done).

Bogging down the system with comments is kind of useless, the forums are the place for comments, so is other various places I've heard about. In the game we just need something simple to give a bit of feedback to say whether we're currently enjoying the game or not.
  • RiorachRiorach Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183760Members
    I think it should be a more sophisticated query. "Good Game" would just be automatic, where as "bad Game" would have additional fields like "bad commander" or "unbalanced teams" something a bit more sophisticated to give the devs more solid feedback yanno?
    Yeah, I agree, would very much like to see that level of depth but keep it simple for now.
  • RiorachRiorach Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183760Members
    To make it easier on the gamers who don't want to get bogged down, have the vote run in the Ready room. People spend anywhere from 15-20 seconds milling about and talking about the game, so the sophisticated version of your query would only take up approx. 4 seconds of that time, while continuing to allow them the ability to converse with the post game funtimes.
    How about a compromise and say that's for version 2 of this feedback system?
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    So similar to what Valve's DOTA2 does at the end of every game? I am still unsure why they do it, as it has to be horribly inaccurate for the sole reason of bias. I know when I lose a game in DOTA2 I automatically say it was a horrible, terrible game and give it 1/5 stars (usually out of spite or frustration). If I absolutely dominate, I give it a 5/5 stars.

With this in mind, I don't think Valve or UWE would gather any good data with this feature.
    But that's exactly the point, if you win, and you enjoyed it, you say "Good Game", if you lose, and you enjoyed it, you say "Good Game". It's supposed to give feedback on how people feel. Of course I am not an advocate of a 1/10 or 1/5 or any sort of scale system. I just say "Good" or "Bad" the rest are irrelevant. All games should be good games to some extent. If you didn't enjoy the game, you say it was a bad game. UWE can then look into the issue further on the forums or other means. The point is this is a subjective, biased feedback system, as I said "Objectively this game is good and balanced, subjectively I hate the crap out of it".
    I'm actually kind of confused why there is a large amount of people against an idea that would allow a game to get some more insight into how good it is. Reviews from critics who only played the game for maybe 10 or possibly 20 hours don't count all that much. Win/Loss ratios don't count much either as that's just a statistic as to whether the game was won or lost according to the rules of ns2. It shows nothing as to whether those rules result in an enjoyable experience.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    I like OPs idea.
    It might be possible that if UWE analized the data of good and bad games,they can find the main similarities between all good games and between all bad games and than see the diffrences between good and bad games.
    It might help them a little bit in the development procces.
    I cant see it doing any harm to the game so why not give it a shot.
    Yeah man Madd0g, as far as I'm concerned, UWE has no real way of knowing the quality of their game at the moment, they need to try out various methods to figure this out, and this idea is one way of possibly doing it. After the idea is in place, I have a heap of other ideas that could significantly improve on it but I want to keep it simple and especially simple to implement quickly as well.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I LOVE this idea. The genius thing about it is that it would allow UWE to be able to further tailor the game towards being something that is insanely fun to play by looking at statistical correlations etc.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    May be good tool idea to gather data unless a lot of sore losers out there vote bad game every time... hmmmmm
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I think the result would be: Win = good game, lose = bad game. Perhaps I'm overly negative about the gaming community, but in any case I don't think that doing this without actual stats and feedback from the players (why good/bad?) would be useless.

Presenting a survey after each game would be tedious. I don't see a place for such things in NS2, since you start the next round from ingame, the ready room.
    I completely 100% disagree with you @Angelusz, if the game was enjoyable, even people who lost will select good game. Also, I mentioned people can vote any time during the round, the result only gets sent off at the end. I also mentioned it was optional, with a majority of people not voting resulting in the game being logged as neutral.

With the recent post by UWE about their statistics, how they gather game times for example, I'd be interested in seeing game time being related to whether a game was classified as good or not. Are games that go for 18 minutes mostly "good games"?

You have a valid point about the "without reason, this could be useless", but as NS2 is iterative, I don't see the gg, bg vote system ending there, I see it improving... naturally over time.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    I completely 100% disagree with you @Angelusz, if the game was enjoyable, even people who lost will select good game. Also, I mentioned people can vote any time during the round, the result only gets sent off at the end. I also mentioned it was optional, with a majority of people not voting resulting in the game being logged as neutral.

I'm just being the devil's advocate. Most people probably won't vote. If they do, it's more likely they'll only make the effort when their experience was bad, because people that are happy, are most often less inclined to convey this message (see psychology textbooks). Add to that the possbility of getting 'trolls' that want to influence the system..

I don't think there's a way to make this reliable enough. If you can't "control" your target audience (e.g. - make sure that the average demographic is represented), no conclusions can be drawn from the results.

That being said, I do definitely like the suggestion itself and what you aim to achieve with it.

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Angelusz wrote: »
    I think the result would be: Win = good game, lose = bad game. Perhaps I'm overly negative about the gaming community, but in any case I don't think that doing this without actual stats and feedback from the players (why good/bad?) would be useless.

Presenting a survey after each game would be tedious. I don't see a place for such things in NS2, since you start the next round from ingame, the ready room.
    I agree with Angelusz here. The majority of people are going to click 'bad game' if they lost, especially if they had to concede. (for any reason)

The real problem is, as Angelusz alluded to, is how do you DEFINE a good game? Ask a dozen people and you'll get 13 answers. Even if you get more specific - Was this a "fun" game? - you still run the risk of different people having different definitions of 'fun'.

The one 'poll type' thing I *would* like to see in NS2 is similar to what they have in L4D2 on the main menu, where the devs can do polls of the gamers. Those polls reach ALL players, as compared to forum polls which only reach a fraction. I think that would be a better way to go since you could properly define the question, which would make the answer meaningful.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    It's a well known fact that people (especially when adding internet anonymity) who are angry, annoyed or just trolls in general tend to go out of their way to make lots of noise. They'd even go as far as to try and skew results... While people who have something positive to say generally don't go out of their way to vote/go on forums and such and as a result are severely outnumbered...

I think internet forums about any subject are proof of this. There's always more negativity on them then positive remarks, even for good products. Unless we can get the positive people more motivated to vote as well, I'd be highly skeptical about the reliability of such a system. Not even mentioning how easy it would be to try and influence it one way or the other.

Humans suck and the sooner we realize this, the better off we all are!
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    This is a good concept. User feedback is extremely important.

Maybe if they click good game or bad game it leads to feedback tree. This would all be optional, of course. If they don't access the feedback system within some arbitrary number of seconds, the feedback system disappears.

Here's a sample of what one branch of the feedback tree might look like:
    *game ends*

"Good game
    or
    Bad game?"

*user selects "bad game"*
    *new question replaces initial question*

"Why was the game bad?
    a. lost game
    b. technical problems
    c. joined late
    d. other"

*user selects "d. other" *
    *form replaces previous question*

"Please describe your bad game experience

Obviously a certain set of people post on the forums, and its clear that UWE values this feedback. However, what about the players that play for the first time and decide never to play again? Wouldn't it be nice to know why?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited March 2013
    Draptor wrote: »
    What would this accomplish? Such a binary choice doesn't factor in anything other than emotion at the time of polling. Good and bad are very subjective, so you would never really know why they thought it was so. Well, I imagine you would because most of the "bad game" would come from the losing team and vice versa. So in order to take any useful data from it, you would have to have a comments box, which would be 95% garbage, 4% useless and 1% good, and that 1% would probably just be redundant because of things like this forum (Not to say this forum is necessary full of good ideas). And require a full time staff just to sift through.

And emotion at time of polling (which is to say, during and immediately after gameplay) is the entire point of the game. The function of the game is to produce pleasing emotions in the playerbase, if it is not doing that, it is not fulfilling its function.

And no, that isn't all it tells you, you can combine it with the huge number of other metrics to find trends. Compare it with game length, whether the player won/lost the last round, server performance, server size, map, whether x lifeform/upgrade was present in the game, whether the player used x lifeform/upgrade.

About the only statistic which isn't tracked at the moment is whether players actually enjoy any given game played, and that's possibly the most important thing to track because it ultimately lets you build a map of how the playerbase is experiencing the game. If long games are universally disliked, work towards making games shorter. If one map is universally preferred, look at that map and try to figure out what makes it so good, and put it in the other maps. Perhaps you may even notice a trend that causes people to say a game was good even if they lose, perhaps if the game gets to a point where both sides are fielding good gear then all players tend to say the game was fun, even if they lose, and from that you can go on to say that getting good gear on the field is a massively important thing for player enjoyment.

A simple binary choice like that adds so much context to the other statistical data that I can't imagine for one minute why it wouldn't be implemented. It is incredibly short sighted to dismiss it as useless because 'people would just vote based on win or lose'. If they do that that's still valuable information, it tells you that the game itself doesn't matter so long as you win, and the only thing of value is ensuring a 50/50 win rate because that is evidently the only thing that matters at all to the playerbase.

I think, however, you would find it a bit more nuanced than that.
    @Chris0132 thanks, you get the whole point of the idea completely. It's not to give objective feedback, we already have plenty of objective feedback, it's for the subjective side of things. People might be scared of this, and that is understandable, but you have to think beyond the immediate and into the fact objectivity is useless without subjectivity.

Here's a quote:
    A creation needs not only subjectivity, but also objectivity.

Which is saying exactly my point in one, concise sentence. We need both, we currently have the objectivity side, but not the subjectivity side. I see no other ideas on how to get this into the game.

I would really love to hear some developer's thoughts on the idea.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Draptor wrote: »
    What would this accomplish? Such a binary choice doesn't factor in anything other than emotion at the time of polling. Good and bad are very subjective, so you would never really know why they thought it was so. Well, I imagine you would because most of the "bad game" would come from the losing team and vice versa. So in order to take any useful data from it, you would have to have a comments box, which would be 95% garbage, 4% useless and 1% good, and that 1% would probably just be redundant because of things like this forum (Not to say this forum is necessary full of good ideas). And require a full time staff just to sift through.

Emotions at the end of the game (time of polling) are the most important ones of all. They determine whether the individual continues to play, or is compelled to return to play at a later time.

I think it may be surprising how much information can be garnered from such a simplistic and binary choice as this one. You can compare enjoyment to so many things, like overall game time, resources gained, marine or alien k/d, overall tech level, total number of kills. These things could or could not have a direct impact on how much enjoyment a player experiences, but a system like this would identify any existing patterns, and give you a certain level of evidence.

The case of winning players voting good, and losing players voting bad game could be an issue, but I don't think it would be. This is because if that is the case, and the norm is for losers to vote bad and winners to vote good, then you can isolate situations where this is not the case, and identify patterns in this limited data set that contrasts to the ordinary case.
  • RedrimRedrim Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160112Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it's a nice idea.
    But I think this system should track individual experience. That will prevent a lot of games from being voted neutral.
    It also helps to solve the problem of rage voting of the loosing side.
    I really don't like to go against someone who is inherently agreeing with me. @Redrim, the Rage voting of the losing team, or alternatively, the good game voting of the winning team is not a problem. If that happened, it would highlight an issue with the game, rather than the voting system.

As for tracking individual experiences in general, while I think it would be interesting to go really in depth and see where the players were that disliked the round, what they did, how much time they spent alive, dead, as a certain class, firing their weapon, reloading all that good stuff.. I think a binary (was the game liked by most people, or was the game disliked by most people) choice, being simple as it is, is the best place to start out, as that alone can be linked to other statistics already being gathered to give huge insight to the quality of the experience of the game.

Tracking individual experiences would be too much for the developers to look at, and possibly too much for their system to handle, or at least it would be unnecessary for the most part.

@|strofix| you get my idea completely, the developers can match up the 3 possibilities (gg, bg, neutral) with other variables and figure out patterns.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Why not just make it a rating system from 1-5 based on enjoyment?
    That's a good point there @Ohnojojo we would of course need to define what the increments mean though. Perhaps 3 = Mediocre (didn't enjoy, didn't hate, was kinda bored possibly), 4 was a good game, 5 was a great game, 2 was a bad game, 1 was a terrible game.

I personally don't think that's all too necessary but I wouldn't mind such a system, Youtube used to use a star rating and in all honesty, I preferred that to the pure like/dislike system. Of course, youtube isn't a FPS / RTS with complex player interaction mechanics.
  • RedrimRedrim Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160112Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well there should be least 3 options: good, neutral, bad. So that if someone forgets to vote it doesn't autocount.

I guess you right about individual vote, that it will be too much data. Although I feel it can give some interesting conclusions)
    Hmm, I still think a non vote should count as a neutral vote. It's an "I don't care" option that requires no input and says exactly that "I don't care". If you do care, you vote.

So with that said, I also think that the neutral vote should be "weighted" significantly lighter than the other two options, I like ratios, so I would have a say that half is a nice weight for the neutral vote.

On an 18 player server for example, 10 neutral votes is equivalent to 5 active votes. So on the same server, if 4 / 18 voted bad game, 4/18 voted good game and the rest said "whatever" and don't vote. The game would be logged as neutral. But if 5 people vote good game. That's a tie, there's a problem. I would say the game would still default to neutral if it's not beaten by over 50%. Meaning, 6 people would have to actively vote for good game in order for the game to be logged as a good game.

If people leave before the votes are counted, their vote gets tossed.

I would go on to discuss the possibility of a heavy neutral vote, or an active one, where it's worth the same as an active gg or bg vote, but I think that might be a bit too complicated for the needs of this idea. This system needs to be elegant to use and to code and to analyse. SIMPLICITY.