Parasite: Hit Reg? Too many beers?

1scorpion1scorpion Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183418Members
It is great to tag a clueless marine from across the room, especially before a1.. but shooting through them before an ambush is pretty jostling.

Maybe its the blotchy cross-hair, maybe its my noob aim.. Does anyone else have trouble landing parasite on rines? I've emptied out whole clips as a skulk on what i thought was a solid orange target and got squat out of it.

I don't often get to gun people down as a skulk, i only try before a1 comes out, so i don't want to put my foot down on this quite yet..

Also. THE DEVS HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO BE WORKING ON! <<< This is mandatory to be in every thread?

Comments

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    1scorpion wrote: »
    Does anyone else have trouble landing parasite on rines?

Yes. I think its the crosshair. I'm not actually sure what part of the line is supposed to be over the marine to get a hit.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    It's difficult but I believe working well. I suggest getting a custom crosshair from the workshop. I use a white dot, the default is pretty terrible.
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Yes even with a custom cross hair. I think the parasite projectile "width" is pretty big and collides with geometry pretty easily. Furthermore, with alien vision on, you cant see the visual splat of a failed parasite on a wall which makes it very frustrating.

To test easily the problems of parasite get into the vent of the double node in refinery and try to parasite marines going to crusher. Long range shot, plenty of geometry ( chains in the middle of the room, vents infront ), few parasite landing.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Draconis wrote: »
    Yes even with a custom cross hair. I think the parasite projectile "width" is pretty big and collides with geometry pretty easily. Furthermore, with alien vision on, you cant see the visual splat of a failed parasite on a wall which makes it very frustrating.

To test easily the problems of parasite get into the vent of the double node in refinery and try to parasite marines going to crusher. Long range shot, plenty of geometry ( chains in the middle of the room, vents infront ), few parasite landing.

I think you meant mineshaft, not refinery.

But yeah, parasite seems to hit geotry a lot. Same goes for bullets.
    A lot of the props and terrain seem to have boundaries that extend further than the visual prop itself.
    Here's an example to clarify: I'm crouching, using a crate for cover. I peek around the corner and shoot a skulk. Instead of hitting the skulk, I end up hitting an invisible model of the crate that extend at least 5 inches beyond where the crate actually is.

Besides some props and terrain being innaccurate, parasite is pinpoint accurate.
    I also wonder if parasite has a short travel time or animation delay or is having problems with server-side/client-side recognition delay.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It's also a projectile so you need to account for that when you are moving while parasiting. I would also suggest changing crosshairs.
    current1y wrote: »
    It's also a projectile so you need to account for that when you are moving while parasiting. I would also suggest changing crosshairs.

Really!? I assumed it was hitscan?
  • Ra1nRa1n Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26798Members
    mhm i always thought it had the same problem as the gorge spit a few patches ago.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've never been able to pinpoint the reason, but yes parasite has always seemed extremely difficult to land.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Since this isn't technically a bug I can't divulge anything for the very next patch coming soon. ;)
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    Well I hope it gets fixed cause the hitreg on it absolutely sucks right now.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Since this isn't technically a bug I can't divulge anything for the very next patch coming soon. ;)

Well? Horse made of Iron, tell us the problem.

Is landing a parasite difficult because:
    some of the terrain and props have boundaries that extend further than the visual prop itself?
    it is a projectile?
    the parasite projectile has a travel time?
    the crosshair is not intuitive enough?
    the parasite projectile is large, width-wise?
    parasite has an animation delay?
    there are problems with server-side/client-side recognition delay?

OR
    all-the-above
    OR
    some-of-the-above: if so, which ones?
    OR
    there are factors that are also not considered and unknown
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The projectile is too small.
    But my first post was more important than this info if you understand.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Emoo wrote: »
    current1y wrote: »

Really!? I assumed it was hitscan?

So apparently it is a hit scan but there is disagreement on whether you need to lead targets like you do with the gorge spit hitscan :). I'm doing to test during tonight and make sure you actually do need to lead targets. Hopefully im wrong since not needing to lead targets would make things so much easier. :D

EDIT: no need to lead it.... click right on the marine.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

IronHorse you are so deep, so deep that I don't even know what you're saying D:

Oh you and all your crypto hints!
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited April 2013
    I'm certain that parasite is not a projectile but hit-scan, it never even occurred to me it may not be. No travel time, like a bullet. If you should lead then I'm very, very surprised.
    Yea its hit scan iirc, (just realized I used the word projectile) but there's still size/width associated with it, like the rail gun
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So parasite is being removed and acid rocket is coming to skulk weapon 2? Awesome, Ironhorse, thanks for the confirmation!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think there is a slight delay when you fire, 'cause you gotta wait on your tongue to do the flick. That might be throwing people off.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    FYI when he said "projectile" what he meant was a time delayed hitscan (same as gorge spit). Client side, doesn't involve physics, etc. At least I think that's what you meant, current1y.

I've always assumed it was a straight hitscan myself, actually. I'd never really thought about it much before. A custom crosshair helps a lot, particularly a small empty circle or dot.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Default crosshair is crap and doesnt reflect size of projectile, I also believe it is misaligned and the projectile is not shot down the center.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    I totally use the FLUX crosshair series on the workshop to help alievate the default crosshair blues. :3

But yes, ironhorse is giving a BIG hint. ;)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Every playtester is a jerk now.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited April 2013
    I think the crosshair is a big part of it, the crosshair is much bigger than the spot parasite actually hits, so it tends to be missleading. Also, another big help for landing parasites quickly is to have a crosshair shown for melee. That way you can aim while bite is selected and quickly switch to parasite and shoot, rather than having to readjust the aim after switching.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Ooooh is parasite going to get a model? So the skulk actually fires a little BUG out of his mouth? ;)