Lets discuss NS2_Descent

ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
So hey guys after a long long pcw on descent we felt a bit ... well ... slow all over the map (even as alien with celerity wich cost us the game at all) and after the match we started to check out whats the reason for this and what we've found is stuff like this:

Some Vents are pretty bad placed so meanwhile if you spawn in monorail those vents offer 0,000% useage for aliens - marines after they have jetpacks done could easily sneak into those and grab up your base - they are very small too so its a save escape for shotgunners also.

if you think that descent needs a rework and especially for competitive and if you found more useless stuff take a friend make a video of the situation and add it here.

some vents are also wrongly placed on the map, so you def. search a while to find it for the very first time.
anyways im a bit tired of playing descent in competitive too (even if we have voted against the map in the ENSL), because this map has no structure its unpredictable in any match - it does lack also a lot of restowers wich slows the entire gameplay wich is usually pretty fast down

anyways i think monorail is a new pipeline hivespawn but just my words

Comments

• invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Vents don't always have to provide a short cut but rather an alternative path which is what this vent is designed for.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    What about the vent in Hydroanalysis? A Gorge can Bile Bomb the entire marine base from up there and even the power and marines have a hard time to kill it before GLs or Jetpacks are up. Last time I checked, this kind of vent was deemed OP and nerfed in Nanogrid. This time it's in a tech point. On the other hand can marines ARC Hydro from the west side easily and there is no entrance that is remotely close to Hydro for aliens to prevent this. Just an extremely narrow staircase on the northern side and a long hallway and a staircase on the south side, while marines can happily reinforce through Club if they hold Launch Control or Fabrication.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    What about the vent in Hydroanalysis? A Gorge can Bile Bomb the entire marine base from up there and even the power and marines have a hard time to kill it before GLs or Jetpacks are up. Last time I checked, this kind of vent was deemed OP and nerfed in Nanogrid. This time it's in a tech point. On the other hand can marines ARC Hydro from the west side easily and there is no entrance that is remotely close to Hydro for aliens to prevent this. Just an extremely narrow staircase on the northern side and a long hallway and a staircase on the south side, while marines can happily reinforce through Club if they hold Launch Control or Fabrication.

Really the only vent that gets much usage that I see in Descent is the one in Hydro. However, I'm pretty sure with the nerfed range to bilebomb, you cannot reach the powernode from the vent like you suggest.

I agree that arcing hydro from that receiving area is way too easy.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    One of the biggest problems I have with this map (despite its size) is hydro itself. Imo hydro is the most vital point of the map for beeing the central techpoint and allowing the marines to push most hive locations pretty good. So aliens want to prevent the marines from getting hydro. Ok but for the aliens themselves hydro is quite useless in its current layout, at least if the marines have any base including launch, fabrication or drone bay. From each of this locations arcs are easily sent to recieving and take out the hydro hive in no time. So despite needing to defen all the entrances to hydro, aliens would have to defend the surrounding rooms with even more entranaces making it almost impossible or sets the whole team on defense which is never a good spot to be in.

Maybe hydro would be a more valueable hive location if the techpoint was centered in the room out of arc range. But by this all the fighting would be about hydro rendering large parts of the map .... irrelevant?
  • LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    I have not experienced what it is like to start and defend Monorail as an Alien, but I found the current implementation of the Monorail vents to be really good for attacking marines IN monorail. As long as you can make it to water treatment, you can have reliable / safe access to both of Monorails entrances.

Initially I thought the map was bad, but players seem to be getting the hang of it making for better matches.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    I dislike how there is only two vents marines can enter on the entire map, and no vents the marines can access the full vent without jpacks.

I always enjoyed sneaking through a random vent you could get into with some work and catching a sneaky skulk, but this map has 0 vents that you can traverse the full thing without a boost or jpack, and only two you can enter a partial section of the vent.

I also dislike how the vents are mostly ceilings. It's difficult to locate some vents cause they are straight above, and it's irritating getting killed by a skulk that just shows up on top of you from the ceiling vent you couldn't see without looking directly up.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    We win an awesome game on descent as marines yesterday evening by arcing hydro from receiving, pushing the arcs up to security to take down fabrication (making as much noise as possible to attract the aliens to this move) and simultaneously walking a coulee of dual minis into monorail. 3 hives down in a minute when we really should have lost...

I think it's to easy to arc almost every hive on descent. Fab, hydro, monorail and launch control are all very vulnerable to arcs, and drone bay to a lesser extent...
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    When I compare Descent and Summit (both have very similar layouts), the thing that irritates me the most is, while on Summit every location has it's qualities and therefore is important for one or another thing, in Descent I get the feeling there are some areas that are totally neclectable.
    For example, i have never experienced fights over Club, Water Treatment or Shipping. Energy Flow and Gravity Control on the other hand are a magnet to constant encounters and ongoing trench warfare.
    I haven't played alot on Descent and therefore might not yet see the strategical importance of aforementioned places, but overall I get the impression the map is not balanced as it is.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I LOVE this map. So beautiful. That said, @KwisatzHaderach is correct, I wish there were more fights going on in other places.

Just plop the Tech Point out of Hydro and put it in Water Treatment, then move the Resource Nozzle from Energy Flow and move it to Club.

Is this crazy? Absolutely! Is it stupid? Probably! Please voice your opinions here.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Oh, not crazy at all, not stupid at all! I would rather call it insane.... and... bovine! And how about a dual tech point in Monoral and triple res nodes in Hydro? 8-}

No, seriously, a tech point without a res node is not a good idea and I believe it has got more to do with the way the rooms connect than with the distribution of res nodes/tech points. I mean, a similar res/tech layout works like a charm on Summit...
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Energy Flow distinguishes from other junctions on the map in having a Resource Nozzle. All other RTs in this layout with a TP in each cardinal direction and the center are distributed in a way that the RT is between two tech points, but Energy Flow is one that is also basically between the northern point and the center in a choke position.
    It is already valuable enough to hold Energy Flow on it's own for the choke point that it is, so I don't think it should have that additional RT there. That one should maybe be moved more into the Silo area so Monorail feels also less like Pipeline. (Though that might cut Fabrication a bit off… there is not really a proper solution to the problem due to the long way from Drafting into Silo)

I also find the Power Node location in Hydro extremely annoying. It's extremely vulnerable and you have no LoS to it from the tech point due to the pillars. I kinda see what you were going for there, but it's almost as bad as the Power Node of the marine start in Turtle.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    hated it during free weekend. After players who knew how to play ns2 became the majority after free weekend, ive grown to like it.