Abilty to add people to a squad.

ScottyTripodScottyTripod Join Date: 2013-03-30 Member: 184546Members
It would be nice to be able to tag other team members so its easier to coordinate attacks and strategy. This could be done by just having your squad or group show up green on the map and their name is in green when you look at them. that way 3-5 people can go off and attack certain areas together. you could even add a squad chat layer if you wish. Please i would love this!

Comments

• randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    You can already highlight a group of players, units, and structure and cntrl+# them for groups. The only thing is that the players are unaware of their grouping (ie there are no icons or symbols). Then you can press 1-0 and then give that group waypoints. It would be nice if the marine knew that they were in a squad. Like a number before their name or perhaps a grouped squads name above their model would change color to themselves and the other marines. "Green team go here" as you hit their number and give them a way point.
  • ScottyTripodScottyTripod Join Date: 2013-03-30 Member: 184546Members
    yeah, i was hoping for a way for each person to see their other squad mates, so they can get together a bit easier or to fallow each other. not so much for the commander though that would be nice too.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The main problem with a squad system in NS2 is that people die. Then they respawn somewhere far away. Say your IP's are in Terminal. Your "squad" is attacking maintenance from courtyard. You died in the fight and have just respawned. East wing is now under attack. Do you just go and rejoin your "squad" or go and get East Wing? (If you answered East Wing you're right).

NS2 relies on a flexible system, something like a squad system would end up being a supreme hassle for a comm to upkeep, or else it would just go unused. So yeah, squads would be awesome, but I can't see how they'd work.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    I'd like to see some visual indication that you are grouped together with other players; a simple blue/green color change on mouse-over text and minimap icons would suffice. This way you would be able to quickly check where your squad is in relation to you and the rest of your team. Once phase gates are up, regrouping with your squad is significantly quicker.

Another change I'd like to see is your objective being visible on the map. Of course, both of these changes would only affect the commanders who issue objectives through right clicking, and groups marines with the control + number keys.
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    If assigning squads is too much of a hassle for the comm, and i can see why it would be, could the comm not assign squad leaders? A squad leader would be able to select near-by marines and they'd join that group. Dead marines would respawn groupless, but be easily regrouped when they rendezvous with a team, but can go sort out east wing before they meet up.

I can't imagine it would to hard to display a symbol like the needs-welding symbol on peeps you're in a team with.
    You could perhaps even use a welder type item to assign squad leaders, i.e.

The Comm has A-Welder, B-Welder, C-Welder. He drops A-Welder, and a marine picks it up. That marine is Team-A Squad Leader, if he "welds" a marine that marine becomes part of Team-A. They obviously get a visual representation, somehow :p.

Perhaps the welder could be used for simple squad orders too--if it was used whilst pointed at the floor/walls all the members of Team-A would get a waypoint there, if it was used whilst pointed at an enemy they'd get a focus-fire-on-enemy waypoint.

Also, as the team would technically be assigned to the welder were the SL to die but the team survive they could just pick up his welder and carry on the mission, and the welder could even be returned to the real SL when he's [or she's] respawned and met up.
  • RohanStanthejellymanRohanStanthejellyman Join Date: 2013-03-26 Member: 184445Members
    Yep, just kills me that this isn't already in the game. Aliens should have kill teams as well but maybe make them less tactical. Marines should have point man and squad leaders and you should be able to assign repair man as well as support. Also a hold position and alert warning to those who wander away is wanting here.

If I had a kill for every damn time I've died due to aimless dipshits wondering scattering I would be one well made bamf indeed
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Disagree with this entire thread, squads/group serve no purpose. You can see your entire team via map and you have 6-8 people on your team. heck I don't think there's a single game out there that would benefit from group/squads
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    There was a thread a while back that suggested simply having a person on the ground tagged by the comm as a "leader." No buffs, or effects on anything (maybe a different color name in voice/text). But it simply serves saying that the Comm recognizes that person as knowing what they're talking about.

Pretty much everything in here boils down to communication. It's just hard sometimes to keep your team together when people aren't communicating. I don't think a new "squad system" or "welder orders" would solve this problem. At least, not very effectively.