We have a problem on Workshop..

VolkerVolker Join Date: 2013-03-29 Member: 184525Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hello NS2 Community, I'm new to this Forum but I registered to bring this issue to the attention of the Developers. First of all I'd like to say if I made any grammar mistakes, I am VERY sorry.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135101759

^ This is the problem, it's clearly a hack and it just doesn't sit right with me. I play Marines almost 90% of the time and it still angers me to see something like this on the steam workshop, not to mention the fact that something like this can get on the workshop. I hope something will be done about this, and I am simply just bringing this to the attention of the Developers and everyone else in the community.

--Volker.

Comments

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited April 2013
    You're right, we DO have a problem, the owner of that mod is blatently stealing the work of the owner of http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109537600 (the color in the mod doesn't match the screenshot, both mods use pink skins).
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    sotanaht:

The owner of that mod hosted that on the Workshop to try and get something to happen in regards to blocking/preventing it's use. Making it public was a way to say 'hey look at what people can do, what can we do about it?'
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited April 2013
    ChrisAUS wrote: »
    sotanaht:

The owner of that mod hosted that on the Workshop to try and get something to happen in regards to blocking/preventing it's use. Making it public was a way to say 'hey look at what people can do, what can we do about it?'

OR it's a clever excuse to get away with hosting it. Either way, the "new" one is actually just his files with a couple things removed, re-posted by a different author and no credit given.

Anyway, I think the particular files that most need to be restricted are the illumination shaders (*_illum.dds). Without the shader making everything bright even in dark parts of the map, the pink skins aren't nearly as ridiculously advantageous.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No...he really is trying to get stuff like this blocked. If he wanted to use it he wouldn't have to make a workshop submission to do it.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited April 2013
    Meanwhile, "pro" gamers crank up their alpha.

Edit: DERP!

You know what I meant to say, but this is funnier.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Thanks Tempest for helping admins block this garbage. Now if only the servers listed this block in their titles so I wouldn't have to guess!
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    It's allways good to turn your alpha up.
  • -XiziX--XiziX- Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68653Members
    I understand the reason why the Workshop sounded like a great idea. However, those great ideas - that can and will come from the Workshop - are going to be overshadowed by the entries such as the one in OP's post.

No matter what we do at this point, people will abuse the crap out of it in case it wasn't obvious now. And I only see a couple solutions to this:
    - One being that the Workshop is constantly monitored to keep these things off of it. But this option takes precious time away from those who have to watch ever single upload to the Workshop. It's tedious and just seem ridiculous.
    - Or we completely remove the Workshop all together for NS. Which takes away from the community creativity.

All of those don't sound very pleasant. As I said before, some cool things can spawn from the Workshop. But sadly, some people just love to ruin things for others...

I wonder if there is a way for the Devs - or whoever is in charge of that Workshop - to restrict what can and can not be added to the Workshop? Because I really have no ideas on a proper solution to this that doesn't involve removing the Workshop. Sure, servers can turn off these things, but not all servers know how to do it - or are even aware of them.

I really hate it when people ruin games with this crap. Why would you want to do it anyway? Why buy a game if you are going to cheat and make it easy on yourself and ruin it for others? Guess we will never know. :(

All I can do is sit on the fence and wait to see what comes next. Afterall, it's Unknown Worlds' move now. Hopefully they say something to us. Because this is a very serious problem.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There have also been found mods in the Workshop where all the walls are just transparent. UWE just doesn't care.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    -XiziX- wrote: »
    I understand the reason why the Workshop sounded like a great idea. However, those great ideas - that can and will come from the Workshop - are going to be overshadowed by the entries such as the one in OP's post.

No matter what we do at this point, people will abuse the crap out of it in case it wasn't obvious now.

72 current subscribers for this mod.

The original mod (Down With This Sort of Thing) has 762 subscribers.

Hardly an overshadowing epidemic in even the most liberal case.
  • -XiziX--XiziX- Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68653Members
    edited April 2013
    lamb wrote: »
    There have also been found mods in the Workshop where all the walls are just transparent. UWE just doesn't care.

They'll care when people stop playing their game. Especially when word gets around that UWE doesn't care enough to get rid of this crap. (I will put some faith in them however, and say they do care.)

But if that isn't the case. Why try to play a game when the problem is so obvious yet nothing is done about it?

@ Squishpoke

I ment overshadow as in the bad may just outweigh the good when it comes to keeping the Workshop. We can have awesome mods, but if people keep abusing the Workshop, there might not be one in the long run. The bad, if that were to be the case, would overshadow/outweigh the good.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

They'll care when people stop playing their game. Especially when word gets around that UWE doesn't care enough to get rid of this crap. (I will put some faith in them however, and say they do care.)

But if that isn't the case. Why try to play a game when the problem is so obvious yet nothing is done about it?

What exactly do you want UWE to do? Consistency checking is already available for server admins to tweak and utilize.

Meanwhile, "real" cheats will be done outside of Steam Workshop, and those will be difficult to circumvent for any developer. Even those with more than 200 people working for them.

• VolkerVolker Join Date: 2013-03-29 Member: 184525Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »

What exactly do you want UWE to do? Consistency checking is already available for server admins to tweak and utilize.

Meanwhile, "real" cheats will be done outside of Steam Workshop, and those will be difficult to circumvent for any developer. Even those with more than 200 people working for them.

The real problem I'm trying to get down to is: The simple fact that a hack such as that exists on the workshop, OBVIOUSLY no one with authority has seen such mods on the workshop.. Therefor it's up to us the Community to point our finger at UWE and Steam and say, "Do something about it, we want this crap off the workshop for every loser out there to see and use!"

I also understand that you simply can't get rid of hackers.. They're in every multiplayer game out there, but at the moment it's so easy to find hacks on the WORKSHOP. It's just irritating that such a thing was able to stay on there for a few days.

What I'm asking is: Get steam to remove all of these hacks on the workshop, it's what the reporting was made for, which was to remove mods such as this from appearing on the workshop.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    a blacklist for mods could be a nice feature for server owners, so they could block the mod id´s.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Volker wrote: »

The real problem I'm trying to get down to is: The simple fact that a hack such as that exists on the workshop, OBVIOUSLY no one with authority has seen such mods on the workshop.. Therefor it's up to us the Community to point our finger at UWE and Steam and say, "Do something about it, we want this crap off the workshop for every loser out there to see and use!"

I also understand that you simply can't get rid of hackers.. They're in every multiplayer game out there, but at the moment it's so easy to find hacks on the WORKSHOP. It's just irritating that such a thing was able to stay on there for a few days.

What I'm asking is: Get steam to remove all of these hacks on the workshop, it's what the reporting was made for, which was to remove mods such as this from appearing on the workshop.

It's not a hack. Play on a server with Extended Consistency Checks.
  • VolkerVolker Join Date: 2013-03-29 Member: 184525Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Volker wrote: »

It's not a hack. Play on a server with Extended Consistency Checks.

And I would if I knew which one did and didn't through the browser, and even then it wouldn't affect me much because I play Marine 90% of the time, like I said in the OP. I just dislike hacks in general, any amount of unfair play <AKA Cheating> I instantaneously get irked and angry.

And that's not the point: The point is that there's mods on the workshop that allow for cheating, like what someone in this thread had said, "There have also been found mods in the Workshop where all the walls are just transparent." If that kind of stuff is on the workshop, it needs to be removed ASAP.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Rellik_pt wrote: »
    a blacklist for mods could be a nice feature for server owners, so they could block the mod id´s.

You can play with mods without mod id's by just downloading the mod and running it with the -mods command
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    kalakuja wrote: »

Censored

Don't spread stuff like that around...
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    Mods just have to change one little thing to overcome any blacklists. Whats needed are commonly shared and updated whitelists...maybe something with some official stamp on it.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    invTempest wrote: »
    These 3 mods can easily be blocked by simply using the following files:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41876022/ConsistencyConfig.json
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41876022/ns2.zip (just extract to the root directory of your server)

You haven't been given enough credit for providing these files, so thank you.

I've downloaded them and will implement them on my servers tonight.

:)
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    kalakuja wrote: »
    Censored
    Don't spread stuff like that around...
    It's not like it was an official thing... you can even publish an invisible mod to the Workshop without anyone able to see it - except the devs I think.

Just play on servers that block that kind of stuff and that's all (yes, UWE should find something to speed up consistency checking and apply it by default to all the servers). If the admins don't even take care about the configuration of their servers, they probably never administrate it correctly and the experience will be probably just as bad, just don't go on those shitty servers, that's all.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    not a f*** was given by UWE that day...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    I understand .dds not being consistency checked (legit re-textures), but I'm surprised .material files aren't currently consistency checked by default and require server operators to go to extra lengths.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Locklear wrote: »
    gamma @ 1.5, gg

1.7 for lcd

then you benQ equalize that bitch
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »
    gamma @ 1.5, gg

1.7 for lcd

then you benQ equalize that bitch

and makes whoever is using that a much better player ....... wish I had it. lol

• SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    invTempest wrote: »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41876022/ns2.zip (just extract to the root directory of your server)

What is the file in this zip good for? (Serious question)