VAC sucks so how about something different?

SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh!Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
I know I will most likely get flammed for this, but with VAC being a terrible cheat deterant perhaps another method is in order? I know UWE has A LOT on their plate and don't have time to concern themselves with all the complaints about hackers, but there was a solution that MW3 tried to do, considering their lack of PC support on the issue. I believe the reason it failed was because they never went through with it.

With all the recent events of hackers popping up maybe something should be done?

Perhaps UWE could setup an email and one person to dedicate on their free time to view said email/video footage of possible hacker(s) - I've seen global ban mods for hackers placed on servers which are ran by people who pick and choose or who think they are hacking get added to the list, not letting them connect to the other servers running the mod. Personally. I've seen it abused. Who better to be the judge and jury than someone from UWE? With their recent post of having to deactivate keys because of the stolen CC/resell issue surely they can deactivate keys of cheaters as well?

Thats really just my two cents. Including since the team is striving to make this game into a competitive game. If their are no hackers, or not many. Over time their will be and it'll continue to grow and get out of hand, just like on every other steam game.

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Not in the entire future of mankind will there ever be an adequate anti-cheat solution for online video games.

Best you can do is grab an admin and have them do on the spot bannings.

Works great if you preemptively friend server admins on Steam to all of your regular servers. Right now you have to do some Googling/asking around to find them. However, I hope that one day someone would create a Server Admins Steam Group for NS2 so that players can look them up quickly and contact them.

Edit: just created it: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2serveradmins

All that's left is to start asking server admins to join this group.
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh! Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    Well the system MW3 PC cheat team uses is. "Send in the video" and if its blatantly obvious they will ban the person/pull the cdkey. They dont judge players on "maybe he is so lets ban him" They only do it, if its 100% blatantly obvious. IE: Standing in the middle of the map, not moving, snapping onto targets across the entire map killing everyone over and over with headshots lol. Oh the sad memories of MW3 PC :(

edit: Yeah, hopefully they join the group. You should add it to your profile siggy too. :p
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I find a good server community is the best scenario to get baddies banned. However, I do like some sort of software checks for the times I am not around.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    SloppyKisses, it's not because there are some hackers, that they won't be banned. VAC do not insta-ban the cheaters, it can take several days/weeks before they do it.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    VAC is terrible because anyone who does hack knows there's a 2 week delay before they get banned. So they get a copy of the game, get the hacks, and they have two weeks (not give or take) to annoy the crap out of people.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    VAC is terrible because anyone who does hack knows there's a 2 week delay before they get banned. So they get a copy of the game, get the hacks, and they have two weeks (not give or take) to annoy the crap out of people.

I know people can be assholes, but I find it hard to believe anyone would have so much free time and money in their hands they would just create new Steam accounts and buy games for the purpose of trolling people by hacking. Seriously?
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Today there was one player on our server complaining about the "unnatural aim" of someone. "2 perfect hits with an shotgun, thats impossible!!!". Well, it is possible.

In the end i kicked the...

.. complainer

I didnt give a cent on complains of people who bought the game a week ago.
    Its like the CoD crowd bring this cheater-paranoia to ns2.

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd like to have another anti-cheat in addition to VAC, I really like the way some new titles have done this to better thwart cheaters in their game. E.g. PunkBuster in addition to VAC or some other anti-cheat would be really nice, something that would complement VAC nicely with its real-time and advanced features and admin tools.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2013
    shonan wrote: »
    I'd like to have another anti-cheat in addition to VAC, I really like the way some new titles have done this to better thwart cheaters in their game. E.g. PunkBuster in addition to VAC or some other anti-cheat would be really nice, something that would complement VAC nicely with its real-time and advanced features and admin tools.

Punkbuster is terrible and gets installed all over your computer. VAC is fine, and there's probably less than 0.001% of the population cheating
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited April 2013
    NS2 is especially vulnerable just because everything runs in Lua. VAC has no chance of ever detecting some of the hacks that are possible. I wouldn't hold out much hope of ever getting any serious anti-cheat measures put in NS2.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    If they improved the performance of first person spectate and added server side demo recording like what you got with hltv it would be much easier to catch and ban them and have evidence to begin to create global ban lists. You get an idea how effective having a demo of everything that occurs with evidence by looking at how effective it is at catching hackers in CS:S here http://www.ibisgaming.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/10-ADMIN-Perma-Ban-Requests
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    If they improved the performance of first person spectate and added server side demo recording like what you got with hltv it would be much easier to catch and ban them and have evidence to begin to create global ban lists. You get an idea how effective having a demo of everything that occurs with evidence by looking at how effective it is at catching hackers in CS:S here http://www.ibisgaming.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/10-ADMIN-Perma-Ban-Requests

STV's are pretty iffy when it comes to hackusations. Because they're server side, you don't actually see exactly what the player sees (which is kind of important), nor do you see their exact mouse movements (also a wee bit important).

just a couple examples as to why all leagues require POV demos and don't ban on STV, but for a public server you're more likely to get the people who don't try to hide it so it doesn't matter as much.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    If I was UWE, I would consider the following:
    1. Fix the in-game demo feature.
    2. Improve 1st person spectating (crosshairs/damage/etc).
    2. Create a wall-hack mode which can be toggled on and off which only works in 1st person spectator mode.
    3. Allow the community to record demos of suspected hackers in 1st person spectate mode.
    4. Let the community judge who is hacking and who isn't, this takes the responsibility away from UWE as they don't want to be in a situation where they incorrectly ban someone. However if a server admin wants to ban the player on their own servers, they can.