USB headset not enabled?

VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
I've just started NS2 for the first time in a while (last time I played was before the Gorgeous patch) and it doesn't use my USB headset (Plantronics 780) for audio output anymore. Checked the console after start and it starts using the integrated soundcard for output and the headset's microphone for input. Yes, the headset is the default playback device, yes, it worked perfectly fine before.

Log file
Date: 03/27/13
Time: 21:53:58
Build 243
Steam initialized
Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M (8.17.12.9610)
Sound Device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) stereo
Record Device: Microphone (2- Plantronics GameCom 780)
Mounting archived build 232
M4::ZipFileSource::Attach: OK attached to G:\games\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2/builds/build_232.zip
Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
Main Menu Initialized at Version: 232
Steam Id: xxxxxxxx
Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.

Comments

• rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    Had you checked in the sound settings to make sure that the correct device is selected?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sometimes it doesn't automatically register USB headsets on the first go. Just check the sound tab and cycle through the devices till it works.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    If it doesnt show up in the ingame audio options, double check that windows has it set as your default device.

Right click the sound icon in your system tray, click sounds, click Playback tab, select your headset and click "set default" and then rightclick that device and ensure default device is selected too. Apply. Retry NS2 options.
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    edited March 2013
    Fixed in the system_options XML by removing the entire sound-output tag.

Also, for some reason the main menu (at game start) doesn't have the device selection options, they're only available on the in-game menu. Bug?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Bug.
    thanks for posting your fix, but you should've been able to simply change the device from the options without editing the xml file. Was your device not showing up?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Wonder if removing it from the XML would mean I don't have to go to the sound tab every time I start the game...