[Video] Lerking About - Tips and Tricks

TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
edited February 2013 in New Player Forum
I made a couple lerk videos with tips, tricks and commentary in order to help improve your lerk game. In the same style as my skulk video. Sorry about the audio, as the game audio can sometimes make it hard to hear me, but have a watch and get lerking.

Video one:
[Url]http://youtu.be/kBXIDhNqneA[/url]

Video two:
[url]http://youtu.be/mMhjXRm7C2o[/url]

Embedded them in a reply post below.

Comments

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    great vids, good tips, and good voiceover.

Battle Lerk. :D
  • Zerfleischte KanadierinZerfleischte Kanadierin Join Date: 2013-01-11 Member: 179019Members
    Thank you alot for these videos. Really helped me out in my Lerk play :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Easier way to pancake (go up and down fast) is to use your crouch key. It'll make you drop like a rock, then hit space real fast (without holding any of the WASD directional keys) to get back up fast.

Also, you put yourself in some very dangerous situations in these videos and were mostly saved by the fact that those marines couldn't shoot at all. I cringed every time I saw a shotgun marine go through a PG when you were biting it. Against any halfway decent marine, you'd be dead.
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2065822:date=Jan 24 2013, 03:03 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 24 2013, 03:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easier way to pancake (go up and down fast) is to use your crouch key. It'll make you drop like a rock, then hit space real fast (without holding any of the WASD directional keys) to get back up fast.

Also, you put yourself in some very dangerous situations in these videos and were mostly saved by the fact that those marines couldn't shoot at all. I cringed every time I saw a shotgun marine go through a PG when you were biting it. Against any halfway decent marine, you'd be dead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are correct in that I took some silly chances, but I also knew the limits of the server. The point of the videos though were to get newer players off the walls and into the actual fight with the bite and evade. Showing that they can be kind of beastly encourages people to get in there and be the pain in the ass we all know lerks can be.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Tyrsis wrote: »
    QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 24 2013, 03:03 AM) »Easier way to pancake (go up and down fast) is to use your crouch key. It'll make you drop like a rock, then hit space real fast (without holding any of the WASD directional keys) to get back up fast.

Also, you put yourself in some very dangerous situations in these videos and were mostly saved by the fact that those marines couldn't shoot at all. I cringed every time I saw a shotgun marine go through a PG when you were biting it. Against any halfway decent marine, you'd be dead.

You are correct in that I took some silly chances, but I also knew the limits of the server. The point of the videos though were to get newer players off the walls and into the actual fight with the bite and evade. Showing that they can be kind of beastly encourages people to get in there and be the pain in the ass we all know lerks can be.

I like the effort, and I really like the videos, but don't show new players a lerk biting a phase gate too much, it's more of an effort of last resort because honestly, that's asking to be one shot, especially with the laughable netcode this game has.
    edited February 2013
    Video one:

Video two:
  • AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
    Thanks, these are most informative. I'll definitely recommend these videos to anyone who asks about being a better Lerk, and I'm excited to try this out next time I play!

The up-down movement does explain why some Lerks die very quickly (those who get it wrong) and some hardly ever die the whole game.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Quick Notes:

Up&Down - Humans track vertical movement very poorly compared to horizontal. You can tack that up to millions of years of evolution. There's a simple and famous street magic illusion where you get close to someone and bounce and object up and down. Just throwing it over their head makes it magically disappear for the one person while the crowd giggles. Second, to fool the hitbox prediction, the easiest thing you can do is change directions. Third, the flap animation basically makes 70% (made up on the spot) of your body dodge bullets.

Regen - These videos were made before regen got a huge nerf. Regen is now just OK to use early game but becomes useless for most lerks as shotties get out and damage gets upgraded.

Crowds - Lerks against better-than-average shots are not for attacking crowds solo. If you can rambo your lerk and mop of the floor with the other team, there's a huge discrepancy in skill level. By itself, the lerk should attack single units or units that are out of line-of-sight of other teammates. Optimally, it should be supporting other lifeforms and important locations.

As a teamwork player against crowds early game, the lerk should distract initially and give skulks time to close the distance and clean up. Depending on damage taken, the lerk can quickly return to help the skulks. Late game (especially in larger pub servers), the lerk should be sporing groups at chokepoints to make it easy for higher lifeforms to kill and/or umbra-ing upgraded marines to ensure lifeform survivability. This is a team game, after all.

As a footnote, the stance of a marine holding a shotgun in a crowd is unique. This should tell you just how bad an idea it would be to fly into a that group and expect to live against good shots. Your level of aggressiveness can be increased, however, when you've good resource flow, can easily re-lerk or go to a higher lifeform, and the current engagement is not mission critical.
    The lerk has changed a bit with the smoke tracers on the spikes, but these guides still apply.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Good vids! Lerking definitely isn't easy but it's extremely rewarding once you get the hang of it.
  • john_wesleyjohn_wesley Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183445Members
    Fantastic videos tyrsis. You're guides are probably the sole reason why I've gone from an average player to one who consistently tops the scoreboard :)
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Excellent stuff, it made me start using the bite attack and up-down evasion, did not even know about the poison.