Tactical Gamer, Voogru, National Gaming: Good Job

Comments

• Pumpkin PiePumpkin Pie Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164554Members
    edited March 2013
    Tinker wrote: »
    But it still the fact that if anyone has a problem with these server's, Ignore it! Don't come whining to a Forum, cause it will do you no good

Except TG is actively trying to find a solution because people communicated their frustration. So it does do good and ignoring it isn't an option for most of the people who fall trap to it because they haven't yet learned which servers to avoid. Thanks for the constructive "shut ignore it and deal" advice though, that's WAY better than communicating with the community.
    Ok! One server is trying to fix it... Yet, just cause one server is fixed doesn't mean this whining will stop. Until ALL server's fix this the whining will be going on and on and on and on (I could do this all day!) So you fall to a trap to it once? Big deal, Unless you are falling for it 10-20 time's a day, its not that bad. Ignoring something like this small is better then Trying to "Fix(A.K.A Whine)" about It.

6 Dis-agree's! I SHOULD GET A BADGE FOR THIS O:

Edit:
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    "I pay for my beer, therefore it's my right to piss on the street."
    This make's no sense.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    1 subset of the community that runs 3 or 4 servers and has a history of sharing their developments with the NS community as a whole (for basically 10 years) is trying to fix it. Yes. But you can continue to misconstrue a community talking out problems and finding solutions together in the way that you did if you like.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    They pay for their server and they can do whatever they want with it. It's not the server owner's job to cater to everyone and it's not a charity.
    You seem to be missing the point the OP brought up and why it has 15 "agree's"..

It has so many agrees because everyone on these forums is an entitled baby who has never rented a server in their life.

I admined a server and we chose to use an on/off password instead of a reserve slot plugin for this specific reason. Server ops are responsible for the frustration they choose to cause other people.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    This make's no sense.
    I don't think I could explain it in such a way that either you or sixty would understand.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    It has so many agrees because everyone on these forums is an entitled baby who has never rented a server in their life.

You're talking about entitlement? The server renters are entitled children who think wasting 100's (or 1,000's) of peoples time by advertising an open server then kicking people when they try to join is ok.

Of course neither of those things is exactly true but one of them is terrible for the community at large. hmmmm.

EDIT: To add something useful, would it be possible to check for reserved slots BEFORE loading everything else. It might be a smidge of extra work for UWE but no one would care if it didn't take time to load before it kicked you.

And this is the basic attitude on these forums. The people who pay for, operate, and moderate servers that all of you use FOR FREE are the entitled ones. Wow.

Check mate, I rest my case.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    if someone came into my kitchen for a free meal and told me how to cook my food, i would laugh in their face
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Zek wrote: »
    Server ops are responsible for the frustration they choose to cause other people.

Can't be said any plainer that this.
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    Server ops are responsible for the frustration they choose to cause other people.

Can't be said any plainer that this.

No.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    Wow... You all really managed to derail this thread.

To clear a few things up:
    Can server admins do whatever they want: Yes.
    Can server admins change the way their reserve slots work to benefit the community: Yes and with little effort.
    Do they have to: No.

OP never intended to create a debate on server running etiquette or who is "entitled" to make suggestions. He just wants people to be aware of the fact that some of the current reserve slot servers are giving new players a negative view on the game. Nothing more.

if players joining an unofficial server think that getting kicked for reserved slots and crap are part of the game itself, then i don't know what to say
  • pip1pip1 Join Date: 2004-09-06 Member: 31430Members
    if someone came into my kitchen for a free meal and told me how to cook my food, i would laugh in their face

If someone invited me to their home while knowing that it was already full, only to then reject me at the front door with a "go away!", I would be annoyed. The free food in the kitchen does not make that person much less of a douchebag.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    if players joining an unofficial server think that getting kicked for reserved slots and crap are part of the game itself, then i don't know what to say

How is it not? To the player the question of whether or not the developers are personally responsible for it is irrelevant. They tried to play the game and that happened.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    It's designed to be annoying to entice you to pay for a slot. This "for free" business is a red herring.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2013

You're talking about entitlement? The server renters are entitled children who think wasting 100's (or 1,000's) of peoples time by advertising an open server then kicking people when they try to join is ok.

Of course neither of those things is exactly true but one of them is terrible for the community at large. hmmmm.

EDIT: To add something useful, would it be possible to check for reserved slots BEFORE loading everything else. It might be a smidge of extra work for UWE but no one would care if it didn't take time to load before it kicked you.

And this is the basic attitude on these forums. The people who pay for, operate, and moderate servers that all of you use FOR FREE are the entitled ones. Wow.

lol, except i can't use the server at all.
    I guess its too much to ask the server operators to run their servers responsibly. But hey as long as you pay for your beer, pay for your car and have insurance you can drive drunk; or speed; or hit and run...
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    $2 a slot? Umm check out ns2servers.com or bluefangsolutions.com.

those are also 2$ per slot.
  • Pumpkin PiePumpkin Pie Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164554Members
    edited March 2013
    This make's no sense.
    I don't think I could explain it in such a way that either you or sixty would understand.

Except You didn't explain anything... You payed for a beer, But what does that have to do with using the bathroom on the street? You didn't pay for the Street. Server owner's Pay for the servers. Aka In this case, the beer and the street.

lol, except i can't use the server at all.
    I guess its too much to ask the server operators to run their servers responsibly. But hey as long as you pay for your beer, pay for your car and have insurance you can drive drunk; or speed; or hit and run...

You Can! That's the thing, you payed for it? Do what you want! Doesn't mean There won't be any consequence's. For example, the server owner's, they payed for it they do what they wan't! The consequence? Less people = Less donation's to run the server.
    ultranewb wrote: »
    It's designed to be annoying to entice you to pay for a slot. This "for free" business is a red herring.

Donating to a server you enjoy playing is just a scam isn't it?
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    i enjoy reading this thread. please continue
    edited March 2013
    ultranewb wrote: »
    It's designed to be annoying to entice you to pay for a slot.

No, it's not. The Tactical Gamer admins are well aware that they are annoying people, and they regret it. They wish they weren't. They aren't doing so to get people to sign up as members or pay for a slot. They're doing so because the server browser mechanism doesn't give them many choices about how to implement reserved slots. They can either annoy everyone who isn't a member or slightly inconvenience their members. They've chosen the former. That's the wrong choice, but your characterization of their motives is completely incorrect and is an unwarranted slander against the server admins.
    @SixtyWattMan, you're not contributing to the discussion. Please stop posting.
    How is it not? To the player the question of whether or not the developers are personally responsible for it is irrelevant. They tried to play the game and that happened.

i think you missed the point of my post
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    CrazyEddie, you seem to complain about this a lot. If it bothers you so much, why haven't you started running your own server? The server software isn't exactly hard to find, and even if you don't know how to use it, there's plenty of people that will host it for money.

People play on the servers with reserved slots because they enjoy doing it. If these are so awful to players, then you should have no issues populating a server you run. Maybe you can even attract enough in donations to not have to pay for it (though, without reserved slots, I doubt it).

Basically, if everyone on the forums complaining about reserved slots was running a server, your average player would have a much smaller chance of hitting a server running them. Wouldn't that be better then complaining to groups that are not going to change things? (You say they're wrong for prioritizing what their community wants over NS2 as a whole. I say that's the entire point of running a community.)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Don't forget that the timing of this thread had some bearing. While it's a valid criticism to say that a player who can't be bothered to find a game in a different server is probably not going to be someone who will stick with and contribute to ns2, the damage they can cause during a free weekend by badmouthing the game as a result of their experiences is not necessarily insignificant.

As sometime who ran an ns1 server and community for a few years, I completely understand the arguments here, and I don't act 'entitled' because I know better. I am grateful for all the server admins' efforts and expenditure, and also organisers of eg ensl.org. The contribution they all make to the community is great and appreciated.

The one line comments from sixtywattman might be better received and understood if they weren't made in such a horrendously bad mannered way.

Ultimately, the success of ns2 in the long term requires a certain degree of cooperation from us all, and especially a coherent and united front when we have free weekends and sales to ensure that we attract new blood to the game.

As an ex server admin who ran a very popular ns1 server from my own pocket and later with contributions from regulars, I still appreciated the need not to piss off new players and people new to my community. From that perspective, the OP raises a valid criticism in the context of the free weekend.
    edited March 2013
    devicenull wrote: »
    CrazyEddie, you seem to complain about this a lot. If it bothers you so much, why haven't you started running your own server?

It seems you've completely misunderstood what I'm complaining about.

I invite you to reread this thread's original post, as well as my first post on the matter (please read my other comments in that thread as well, but ignore most of the others as they are generally off topic). If, after rereading them, you still think that my concerns could be addressed by running my own server, let me know and I'll try to explain it more clearly.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    No.
    What an entitled reply.

uh oh, I think somebodies internet girlfriend broke up with them... I knew it wouldn't last, you can only stack so many games until they find a new and better player! :(
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Couldn't we have consistency check go against this and label these as modded servers?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited March 2013

Just because you operate a useful manufacturing business producing useful goods for the community doesn't mean you get to put up a sign on top of it that flashes on and off all colours of the rainbow and shoots lasers in random directions and plays the banana phone song at the same volume as a jet engine.

Basically, if you clutter up the server browser with your crappy server, and annoy thousands of people trying to connect to it, people have a legitimate complaint. By all means continue to provide your service, and charge whatever you feel you can get away with to do it, but do it somewhere the rest of us don't have to look at your monumental lack of taste in the advertising department. Or fix your damn sign so it's less annoying.
  • WakelaggerWakelagger Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170906Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There was a post on the steam forums during the free weekend. It was a guy that was new to the game and he was complaining about how he was always getting kicked from servers and he didn't know why. The theory was that he kept joining servers like the ones mentioned in this thread. No where was it stated that he was being kicked because he was filling a private slot. What he took away from this was that the game's server browser mechanics were broken. This example shows one of the negative impacts of reserving slots via kicking.

uh oh, I think somebodies internet girlfriend broke up with them... I knew it wouldn't last, you can only stack so many games until they find a new and better player! :(

laffin @ this bitter child
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    again, when I started, this was the case, kept trying to join, kept getting kickEd for no reasonspecified, finally started to favorite servers I knew I wouldn't get kicked from, took a long add time though.