Has anyone else noticed the slight stacking, lately?

The_JanitorThe_Janitor Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184320Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I feel it's getting a bit out of hand.

nVGByOt.jpg

Gj43Lfv.jpg

DBywtXH.jpg

I personally blame the Skulk-Marine relationship. A skilled Marine can kill skulks left and right. But a skilled Skulk still needs some teamwork to pull off their feats.

Comments

• MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    skulk is useless nor fun until second hive

false on both accounts
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    MrPink wrote: »
    skulk is useless nor fun until second hive

false on both accounts

no

• frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Disabling the ability to raise your chance of joining a specific team by going in and out of the "join zone" in ready room or anything similar would already help alot against stacking. Let chance decide who can join a team. UWE do you realise that?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    It's simply because servers this weekend have been overwhelmed with rookies who for the most part rather play marines than alien, because they suck more as a skulk than they do as a vanilla marine.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Thankfully, most of the servers I frequent have the "vote random" command. :)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Most servers I just see people stack whichever team won the previous round or has "that guy" that everyone thought was a total killer. It flops back and forth all the time.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    I've noticed that most of the vets tend to stay on one team whether it's marines or aliens ... and the team full of rookies/new players just get stomped...... really don't see how the vets find that fun.... makes me wish the server I frequent forced random.
  • jorgamunjorgamun Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183703Members
    My server runs with 45% vote required to randomize, and tomorrow we should be rolling out enforced random that will prevent people from restacking the teams once randomization happens. Stacking is pretty prevalent and we come down hard on it, and as a result we've been having great games.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    Res wrote: »
    I've noticed that most of the vets tend to stay on one team whether it's marines or aliens ... and the team full of rookies/new players just get stomped...... really don't see how the vets find that fun.... makes me wish the server I frequent forced random.

Made a habit of going spectate to shame veterans into evening out the teams. Should be evenly balanced in terms of new players.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Only problem I saw was most newbies join marine, so the vets need to random alien.
    Then they complain stack, when we had no choice in teams to begin with. :/
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited March 2013
    Res wrote: »

Yeah. Our server has that problem quite often.

At first I tried helping out the new players by commanding and giving them general tips, but it became painful to continue so I just put my music on and started killing them all. :o
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Slight, lately? Welcome to NS, this has been a problem since the first game. Servers that have the random addon are slightly better, but random is random, so the teams still end up unbalanced most of the time. I'd rather see an addon that keeps shuffling the teams between rounds instead of it being totally random.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    Only problem I saw was most newbies join marine, so the vets need to random alien.
    Then they complain stack, when we had no choice in teams to begin with. :/

This. Almost every game I play all the Greens flock to Marines because it is understandably familiar, leaving all experienced players to join Aliens.

Rautapalli wrote: »
    Slight, lately? Welcome to NS, this has been a problem since the first game. Servers that have the random addon are slightly better, but random is random, so the teams still end up unbalanced most of the time. I'd rather see an addon that keeps shuffling the teams between rounds instead of it being totally random.

I designed a system for this but there are a few problems in implementation, the largest being that effectiveness is based largely on having a very continuous group of regulars. I hope that my server does get more regulars going because with regular players a lot of problems in things like this become solvable.

I also have a shuffling option where it takes data from the the previous games on the server with the current players and applies a very, very basic algorithm to try and come up with semifair teams. The steam servers can be too slow to respond sometimes though for things like grabbing NS2 playtime for unknown players so there is an annoying delay. The problem with this approach is that it needs players to train it as I feel that game length is not purely indicative of balance because of turtling.

So from my own point of view, I know that at least one guy is working on solutions to stacking. You'll always have steamrolls though even with "fair" teams, and in a game with as many variables as this it's tricky on all counts.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I think the majority of players naturally find the traditional first person approach of aiming with a crosshair to be more fun compared to how the alien team plays. The situation was no different before the skulk was "gimped", players simply gravitate towards marine.

The only way to remedy it would be to make skulks more powerful than marines, which would obviously be terrible for balance.

I think this was less of a problem in NS1 (or we perceive it to have been) because what most of us remember of NS1 involves players who had played the game for 2 to 3 years or more. After that much playing you simply accept each team as different and play them in varying amounts as not to get bored of either one.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    Gliss wrote: »
    the problem really can't be solved with some external method like forced random or shuffling players. players stack marines for a reason: it's fun. it really does come down to the skulk not being fun to play, I wasn't trying to be facetious. the old ground-acceleration still has yet to make a return, which makes combat very dull and completely reliant on ambushing and stealth. wall jumping is still gimped. however, most new skulks are just going to charge headfirst at the enemy. most people stack marines to take advantage of these terrible skulks to take a screenshot of their scoreboard and kill endless hordes of skulks walking at you. it's been a "problem" since as far as I can remember.

additionally, skulks don't really scale well with skill in terms of combat effectiveness either. it's not "fun" like it is to play a lerk or a fade where you can actually have an impact on the flow of game. it relies on teamwork, too, which is where the entire concept falls apart in pubs. I'm not saying skulks can't be effective of course; it's just that most of that time is spent biting structures and on small-level tactics (such as baiting or teamwork) which pub players are for the most part not interested in.
    ns_combat wasn't popular just because it was a fragfest, it was popular because you could actually have these super-scaled lifeforms so that it wasn't even rare to see someone go fully upgraded skulk (carapace, regeneration, focus, leap, etc) in a lategame combat scenario. or lerks with celerity and adrenaline. the lifeforms were fun to play, and scaled well so you could dictate the flow of the game.

solution would be to make skulk fun to play again. skill movement (bunnyhop, walljump), no "no res while dead", more lategame relevance (joining a 20 minute losing game as alien with 20 res and 2 RTs is just obnoxious), hell - even making Leap less terrible. these have all been issues for as long as we've been playing NS2 and they have not been addressed.

Except... you're incorrect. On our server using vote random we've actually had a long series of very good matches with fairly even teams, with a few steamrolls interspersed between. Once you get some regulars onboard with randoming and some people that actually communicate this issue dilutes.

There is no end-all solution to team stacking, and there never will be. That doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to get good matches in.
    jorgamun wrote: »
    the problem really can't be solved with some external method like forced random or shuffling players. players stack marines for a reason: it's fun. it really does come down to the skulk not being fun to play, I wasn't trying to be facetious. the old ground-acceleration still has yet to make a return, which makes combat very dull and completely reliant on ambushing and stealth. wall jumping is still gimped. however, most new skulks are just going to charge headfirst at the enemy. most people stack marines to take advantage of these terrible skulks to take a screenshot of their scoreboard and kill endless hordes of skulks walking at you. it's been a "problem" since as far as I can remember.

additionally, skulks don't really scale well with skill in terms of combat effectiveness either. it's not "fun" like it is to play a lerk or a fade where you can actually have an impact on the flow of game. it relies on teamwork, too, which is where the entire concept falls apart in pubs. I'm not saying skulks can't be effective of course; it's just that most of that time is spent biting structures and on small-level tactics (such as baiting or teamwork) which pub players are for the most part not interested in.
    ns_combat wasn't popular just because it was a fragfest, it was popular because you could actually have these super-scaled lifeforms so that it wasn't even rare to see someone go fully upgraded skulk (carapace, regeneration, focus, leap, etc) in a lategame combat scenario. or lerks with celerity and adrenaline. the lifeforms were fun to play, and scaled well so you could dictate the flow of the game.

solution would be to make skulk fun to play again. skill movement (bunnyhop, walljump), no "no res while dead", more lategame relevance (joining a 20 minute losing game as alien with 20 res and 2 RTs is just obnoxious), hell - even making Leap less terrible. these have all been issues for as long as we've been playing NS2 and they have not been addressed.

Except... you're incorrect. On our server using vote random we've actually had a long series of very good matches with fairly even teams, with a few steamrolls interspersed between. Once you get some regulars onboard with randoming and some people that actually communicate this issue dilutes.

There is no end-all solution to team stacking, and there never will be. That doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to get good matches in.

Your scenario doesn't show that anything is being solved. All it shows is that players were forcibly assigned a team, potentially a team which they did not have fun playing. Force random will not solve their lack of fun.

edited March 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »
    Your scenario doesn't show that anything is being solved. All it shows is that players were forcibly assigned a team, potentially a team which they did not have fun playing. Force random will not solve their lack of fun.

Check the title of the thread? It's about team stacking, which is exactly what was being solved.

You're trying to redefine the problem that I attempted to solve to something that I wasn't aiming to do. None of my efforts were to change the fun value of skulks - I can't do this without a mod anyway. My efforts were to get better, fairer matches going - and they have worked.

I agree that skulks need to be made more fun again, but in the meantime, I'm not just going to sit around and let the stacking go on like it was before. There's no point when I can actually make a difference where I like to play.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I don't know about you, but I personally find the game much more fun when the teams are balanced.

Check the title of the thread? It's about team stacking, which is exactly what was being solved.

If that is what you were referring to, then you probably shouldn't quote someone who wasn't referring to team stacking at all, and then tell them that they are incorrect. It can be misleading.

• AkimotoAkimoto Norway Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183642Members
    Early skulk kick ass. I can easily kill 2-3 marines (if they don't all spot me at once). Adding early speed would only make it better.
    It is the late game skulks gets "boring"/less effective, since you have to hit the marines 5 times with bites, while they can still kill you with 9 bullets. And I bet you, not all of those 5 bites will do 50 damage! Since if you're aim is off by just a little, it will do 25.. Which means one bite is less effective than 1-2 bullets.
    edited March 2013
    Akimoto wrote: »
    Early skulk kick ass. I can easily kill 2-3 marines (if they don't all spot me at once). Adding early speed would only make it better.
    It is the late game skulks gets "boring"/less effective, since you have to hit the marines 5 times with bites, while they can still kill you with 9 bullets. And I bet you, not all of those 5 bites will do 50 damage! Since if you're aim is off by just a little, it will do 25.. Which means one bite is less effective than 1-2 bullets.

Anyone else struggling to take this post seriously? Just want to make sure it isn't just me over here.

In case it is, skulk bites do 75 damage, and 50 if your aim is off. Hope this helps to further your prowess with the lifeform.
    If that is what you were referring to, then you probably shouldn't quote someone who wasn't referring to team stacking at all, and then tell them that they are incorrect. It can be misleading.

He said that people stack marines for fun (which is a reference to team stacking) and that you can't solve this with randomization and shuffling.

I pointed out that in my experience this is incorrect, as our randomized games have been very fun for both sides generally. Even those marine-preferential players getting put on aliens are having fun with it and become the ones to initiate the voterandom at the start of new rounds later on.

The devs are working on the momentum issue. Even when that's tweaked you'll run into stacking anyway. It goes deeper than one mechanic.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No matter what you do, stacks will happen, there's nothing you can do to stop it entirely, just reduce its frequency.

He said that people stack marines for fun (which is a reference to team stacking) and that you can't solve this with randomization and shuffling.

I pointed out that in my experience this is incorrect, as our randomized games have been very fun for both sides generally. Even those marine-preferential players getting put on aliens are having fun with it and become the ones to initiate the voterandom at the start of new rounds later on.

The devs are working on the momentum issue. Even when that's tweaked you'll run into stacking anyway. It goes deeper than one mechanic.

His implication was that the problem cannot be solved with things like force random scripts, the problem being that aliens is potentially not as fun as marines, and its manifestation being the stacking of the marine team.
    The idea that players purposefully choosing to join one team over the other cannot be circumvented by disallowing players to choose which team they join is obviously absurd.