How I make the Lerk not alive?

LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
What is the best weapons or armor / Weapon upgrade order to kill lerks early game?

I have been really struggling to kill any lerk smart enough to hit once, bugger off then come back ( which is fine because thats how a lerk is supposed to work) but what can I do as a marine to counter this on a pug server without having every single corridor blocked off with layers of additional marines.

Is there a way to dps down a lerk before he has a chance to leave from the first bite, because the shotgun is not working for me.

Comments

• ZTrainZTrain Join Date: 2013-03-15 Member: 183969Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Shotgun :) (practice more)
  • LagLightLagLight Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149708Members
    Bah! shotgun....

What weapon level do you need to take one out....instantly
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Stand at room entrances with a shotgun. Its a good way to catch hurt lerks retreating.
  • BULLET WIZARDBULLET WIZARD Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177702Members
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Stand at room entrances with a shotgun. Its a good way to catch hurt lerks retreating.
    Exactly this, if I had a dollar the amount of times I've died as lerk because a marine knew to wait for the retreat I'd have ~83 dollars. Or something.

Plus you get the added benefit of making the lerk player shit his pants well before you kill him.
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    LagLight wrote: »
    Is there a way to dps down a lerk before he has a chance to leave from the first bite, because the shotgun is not working for me.

Usually no. With their speed and armor upgrade any good lerk that is gliding at max speed and can avoid walls will always get out. The best bet is to find them in a long hall without many turns like the main hall in tram (even though its kind of an exception) or from logistics to repair. But the main way I usually find myself killing a lerk is if I continue to chase it to the next straight area, just like with an Onos. You have to chase those aliens down, they usually don't expect marines to do that.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    A teammate with a pistol is always a good way to take out a lerk whos roosting. Those spike trails make it rather easy now since you can see the second they land.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know you can take out a lerk with one shotgun blast, but I can't remember what weapons level that takes. I think it's just w0 or w1 though.
  • IkeIke Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183661Members
    edited March 2013
    lerk witouth cara has 225 hp (125+50armor)

Full blast sg wp0 =170 (10 bullet) damages
    Each wp upgrade add 17 damages.

So wp1=170+17=187
    wp2=187+17=204
    wp3=204+17=221

So, you technically cant os the Lerk.

But a full blast is deadly dangerous.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    EXO Railgun perhaps
  • BaallBaall Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18374Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whenever I encounter an early Lerk, i try to run towards his escape route and catch him when he comes back and is already weakened. Works sometimes, sometimes he just flies by me without me being able to hit him :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Shoot gun or shotgun, you take your pick :P
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    This
    ScardyBob wrote: »

And on most occasions this
    Plus you get the added benefit of making the lerk player shit his pants well before you kill him.

The number of times I have turned around to fly out of a room and find a marine has come up behind me with a shotty to pick me off as I retreat has led to some pretty stinky pants moments :)

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    1) Walk around with a pistol

2) Wait for lerk to swoop in and bite

3) Surprise, shotgun!