To all the new people

2»

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Zek wrote: »
    Aliens clearly need an answer to this... Can Gorge tunnels be built inside other Gorge tunnels?
    actually, could actually use this
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    Aliens clearly need an answer to this... Can Gorge tunnels be built inside other Gorge tunnels?
    Yo dawg, we heard you like gorge tunnels
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Gadx wrote: »
    You guys are doing it incorrectly. You need an armory, obs, protolab and PG in every room. Please correct this next time.

Turrets? Robotics Factory?

dont get carried away.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    amoral wrote: »
    actually, could actually use this

Grand Gorge Station?

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    In one game today, the marine comm built phase gates at skylights and topo...

Yeah, that didn't last too long.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    "Press 'C' to open the map" is the best tip you can possibly give anyone in this game.

Is it c? I mean, I know mine is c, but it seems for a lot of the rookies it was actually m that opened their map after talking on the mic.

Mine has been c for so long I can't remember if that was the default or a rebind.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    C is the default, but so many people just go straight to options to set the keys how they think they should be before even playing the game...
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    M has been the new default for ages, delete your content and re-install and see which key the map is.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members

I'd like to see this.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah M is the new default for some weird reason.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    M for Map.
    More intuitive than C for Map.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Though much harder to actually use, as you can't hit the M key while walking around very easily.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »
    "Press 'C' to open the map" is the best tip you can possibly give anyone in this game.

UWE changed it to M by default actually... so I actually caused more confusion than helping. -_-
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Let's have battery powered PGs in gorge tunnels
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    M is intuitive for map, except it's hard to reach out there. C is better for reaching, although C gets a bit annoying when commanding occasionally due to it's dual functions of map and commands.

What would have helped rookies is if someone put the loading screens for all maps as the default button assignments. Stare at that for a minute each map load and we probably wouldn't have spent so much time telling aliens to push F, B, M etc
    It strange that it's beyond a lot of people to look in the options at what the bindings are and then either print, write down or place on 2nd monitor.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yeah the default map key should really be changed to something like the center mouse button by default. Its hard to know how important the map is and now that its assigned to M by default no one will be using it.

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I kinda wish the default was both C and M, actually.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    Wake wrote: »
    Let's have battery powered PGs in gorge tunnels

Now you're thinking with portals.
    current1y wrote: »
    Yeah the default map key should really be changed to something like the center mouse button by default. Its hard to know how important the map is and now that its assigned to M by default no one will be using it.

But not everyone has a mouse that has extra buttons.

Maybe when you first get the game, a pop up should ask you if you want to remap the map key?

I have mine relinked to my side mouse button. So much better than the C key.

I'm pretty sure it can't be done. But I will try next alien game
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Default map key isn't the problem. The problem I've noticed is people jump into the game for the first time, don't even check their control options and then don't know what anything does in game.

I really don't know how people can literally do this? I suppose they assume its going to be WASD with Left-Click primary-fire, Right-Click secondary-fire, 1-2-3 weapon switch and that's all you need.

Having said that, when I see rookies on the server and they need to move to a room, I explain to them that C or M will bring up the map, just like on Aliens I will tell them to use F for alien vision because it's easier to spot marines.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    ChrisAUS wrote: »
    Default map key isn't the problem. The problem I've noticed is people jump into the game for the first time, don't even check their control options and then don't know what anything does in game.

I really don't know how people can literally do this?

Ya I don't get that either... one of the first things I do when I jump into a new game is look at the keybindings.... (Actually it's the 2nd thing, 1st thing is checking graphics options.)
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members

If they could, you would end up with an exit to a tunnel inside the tunnel. keep going further in and just end up inside the same tunnel forever. Would be an excellent way to annoy marines.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Res wrote: »

Ya I don't get that either... one of the first things I do when I jump into a new game is look at the keybindings.... (Actually it's the 2nd thing, 1st thing is checking graphics options.)

I do this.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    sotanaht wrote: »

If they could, you would end up with an exit to a tunnel inside the tunnel. keep going further in and just end up inside the same tunnel forever. Would be an excellent way to annoy marines.

You can't build anything in gorge tunnels. It was allowed for a while in the internal builds but it tended to create problems. I don't think you could ever build gorge tunnels inside gorge tunnels even back then, though, as their placement restrictions are a bit more strict than other things gorges can make. You can evolve in a gorge tunnel and it can be a nice safe place to grab your upgrades as long as both exits are in safe spots at your hives.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    I can't even tell you how many times i watched commanders jump in and just start building totally random stuff like 4 IPs, 3 arms labs, 3 armories, 4 robot factories, upgrading to advanced armory and researching GLs and Flames before we even capped a 2nd RT...
    Or Khammanders doing nothing but building whips, placing spurs / shells in main hallways and not even upgrading them.. meanwhile I am on the mic non stop trying to explain to them how to do it.. they almost never listen. I might have had 3 out of 30 people actually listen to me and try to do what I'm saying.
  • SleekSleek Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182709Members
    joederp wrote: »
    I can't even tell you how many times i watched commanders jump in and just start building totally random stuff like 4 IPs, 3 arms labs, 3 armories, 4 robot factories, upgrading to advanced armory and researching GLs and Flames before we even capped a 2nd RT...
    Or Khammanders doing nothing but building whips, placing spurs / shells in main hallways and not even upgrading them.. meanwhile I am on the mic non stop trying to explain to them how to do it.. they almost never listen. I might have had 3 out of 30 people actually listen to me and try to do what I'm saying.
    I experienced some of this over the weekend, though I was able to help most of the comms regarding upgrades and tips etc. Though there were some that just did not listen or respond via voice or txt...which usually ended up in an ejection.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Res wrote: »

I do this.

depends, sometimes it's more useful to get a feel for the game, decide what actions are useful, then change keybinds