Discuss the Ping Advantage (crosspost from ENSL.org)

2»

Comments

• GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    This will probably get shouted down immediately but I'd be interested to see what people thought seeing as it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet:

What about you find the server that has the lowest highest ping (think that makes sense) and then everyone else uses the net_lag command to increase their ping to that level?

Flame on!

im sure some people will exploit this with hacks that show a fake ping while they still have their low ping. :(
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    This will probably get shouted down immediately but I'd be interested to see what people thought seeing as it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet:

What about you find the server that has the lowest highest ping (think that makes sense) and then everyone else uses the net_lag command to increase their ping to that level?

Flame on!

Hehe, that is one way of "fixing" lag compensation :P
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    It wouldn't be all that much work to have the server broadcast a minimum lag and then reuse the net_lag code to dynamically adjust each client to that much lag.

So definitely within the realm of possibility.
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    matso wrote: »
    It wouldn't be all that much work to have the server broadcast a minimum lag and then reuse the net_lag code to dynamically adjust each client to that much lag.

So definitely within the realm of possibility.
    This.
    I remember that it was possible to make your latency worse atleast in games like Quake.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    Gamerkatze wrote: »

Flame on!

im sure some people will exploit this with hacks that show a fake ping while they still have their low ping. :(
    Well, internet fairplay usually has to rely on individuals being honourable to a certain extent, NS2 seems to have a better community than most in this regard so I don't know that that would really be a big problem.