Railgun Exo's 8 minutes into a competitive game... got some good fps footage

2»

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    So are railgun exos better against structures than miniguns? Is there dual rail gun exos? I'm usually to frantic at that point of a game to do anything other than hammer click on dual miniguns ...

If rails are better against stuctures that would be interesting, I've knocked an onos down with fist (I had back up but thats the plan, right?) so very interesting.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    i think railgun is better than minigun, because dps is not 'all important'.

look at the design of any sniper rifle - the dps isn't particularly high compared to alternatives, but you can pick your more powerful shots based on opportunity.

if a fade comes in, attacks you, then retreats... the minigun will normally get 0-100 damage off, railgun should get 200.

also, being able to shoot through your teammates and through multiple buildings/enemies further increases the opportunity.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    So are railgun exos better against structures than miniguns? Is there dual rail gun exos? I'm usually to frantic at that point of a game to do anything other than hammer click on dual miniguns ...

If rails are better against stuctures that would be interesting, I've knocked an onos down with fist (I had back up but thats the plan, right?) so very interesting.

I don't understand how people can't see the value of long range, nearly hitscan, shotgun-comparable damage. Skulks and Lerks dropping with a single click is nothing to scoff at. Burst Damage has always been very effective in a million FPS/RPGs/RTS, and will continue to be so.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    You can get armor 1 + railguns up in 4:45 if you can mange to hold 4 rts. No one will be able to buy them until about 6 minutes in though.

Yeah i typicly get welders and mines or shotties for them to hold the rts down, problem is they cannot afford exos for even longer then, commander should get the same pres rate as the others for being alive! :) haha
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like railgun better because it highlights the enemy skulks. I have a bug with my custom crosshairs, where it doesn't use the giant circles on the regular exos anymore... :(
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    Minigun has better dps.
    I think at least one minigun would complement rail guns well. Parallel to rifle+sg mix. A rifle can pick off retreating life forms and shotguns are superior at melee range. Exo suits are vice versa. It can be difficult to hit fades at melee range as a missed charged shot is extremely punishing. 2s charge time + weapon cooldown. 200 dmg is not enough to two shot a fade. Structural dmg is similar to normal I believe. A minigun can pick up the slack at melee range, structures, and onos
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Zenu wrote: »
    I wonder what would be good counter tactic for that. Don't think that fades work very well against railgun exos because they can get fully charged shot to face pretty easily and lerks aren't as effective at sniping from distance since they are so easy to spot these days. Skip fades and save for onos?

Well some things comes to mind when I think about how a team would counter this. However, the counters are based on if the aliens noticed them before they committed to a fight or being completely surprised.

If they had noticed them, then I believe the best defense would be to either res-deny or launch coordinated attacks at main bases. That way, you force them to either defend your offensive OR split their forces. If they opt to split forces, then quite possibly instead of 2+ welders on an Exo, there may be only 1. A concerted attack on that welder drops him and then the Exo is toast. Doing anything on the map to keep those exos from stepping into the hive would be key.

If they were surprised, I would assume the best defense would be to group up and all rush together as one. If they were walking into the hive, have the team group up outside. Sure, you may lose eggs, some structures, etc - but at least you won't be streaming in one-by-one getting nailed.

This all works out good in theory - but we all know that once you throw individual player-skill into the equation; the best laid out plans can go to hell lol
  • DVoXDVoX Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184211Members
    Yeah, really there's an answer to any strat. Our implementation of an exo rush relied on several variables and really requires map control in the early game, and a "whatever go for it!" mentality. That was our first execution of that strat in a 6v6 match, so you will see it evolve quite a bit later on. We have some really good shots on AtroX, and figured we could utilize the rail exos to shut down fades before they became a threat and compliment our players natural talent.

Glad you all enjoyed the show, we learned a lot from watching ourselves, so thanks to RedDog and Neetchie ( lol spelling?) for their exuberant casting, it made us feel good to hear it!
  • Marshall_DrumminMarshall_Drummin Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174115Members
    Do not listen to DVox, he suffers from a rare illness thought only to affect cats.