If the Problems and Restrictions surrounding serverside Mods are not solved, I do NOT want to host a

2»

Comments

• StukaJU87cStukaJU87c Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166988Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017716:date=Nov 9 2012, 04:34 PM:name=Maxunit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maxunit @ Nov 9 2012, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You actually only modify the Server.lua from line 13 to 23. You have to add one line around line 13 and one line around line 23. Re-read the instructions, it might sound a bit confusing at first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm note sure what your saying...it says only one line needs to be added

<i>You will also want to make sure that you place the Script.Load("lua/DAKLoader.lua") before the load statement for ServerConfig. It
    also needs to be after Script.Load for Shared.lua. (Between lines 13 and 23 currently (B228)).
    </i>

That's the only place it talks about modifying server.lua
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    If you open Server.lua, then you have

Script.Load("lua/Shared.lua")

at line 12 (or 13). Change it to

Script.Load("lua/DAKLoader.lua")

Then at line 24 (or 23), you have:

Script.Load("lua/ServerConfig.lua")

change it to:

<!--quoteo(post=2018207:date=Nov 10 2012, 04:33 AM:name=Maxunit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maxunit @ Nov 10 2012, 04:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you open Server.lua, then you have

at line 12 (or 13). Change it to

Then at line 24 (or 23), you have:

change it to:

Script.Load("lua/ServerConfig.lua")<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Placing it twice is pointless, as long as it is below shared.lua and above serverconfig.lua it is the same. The instructions do not say to place it twice, just once in between those 2 which is what ive done. Either way ill try it once the server empties out though i doubt it will do anything
  • TechnIckSTechnIckS Join Date: 2007-01-14 Member: 59616Members
    Agreed @ StukaJU87c
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Actually, that's how you have to do it, to be honest. I tried it in other ways and it always failed AND there should be a reason, that a LUA Coder (and NS2 Modder) states it like that.

Server.lua: Add line before Script.Load for Shared.lua = Script.Load("lua/DAKLoader.lua") before Script.Load("lua/Shared.lua")

That's how LUA works and that's how NS2' LUA works.

The main reason for this "strange" editing is most likely the fact to get DAK loaded without the Server being flagged as modded. If you would do it differently, your server will most likely show up as modded (community content)
    I see what your saying and i will try it, im at work atm. My point is the verbage in the instructions does not say to place the line twice, it says it needs to be before serverconfig.lua and also after shared.lua. the location of that line in my server.lua satisfies those conditions. Alas, i will try when i get home. So i take it gamesetup.xml should not be on the server?
    No, the game_setup.xml should not be copied to the server. Only the lua folder.

I agree tho, that the instructions are confusing at first, but I thought a bit "around the corner" and then understood it and I felt the same like you do, with a big o_O.
  • itspreachitspreach Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164638Members
    It does not need to be added twice... My server is running with DAK with the workaround.
    itspreach, what did you do? I had to add the line twice before it worked.
  • itspreachitspreach Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164638Members
    edited November 2012
    I think the better question is what did >you< do? lol... the instructions only call for it being added once, Here are lines 12 through 27 of my server.lua

dakloader is on line 24, it just needs to be before serverconfig and after shared.lua

Stuka - did you modify your mapcycle file too?

Script.Load("lua/MapEntityLoader.lua")
    Script.Load("lua/Button.lua")
    Script.Load("lua/TechData.lua")
    Script.Load("lua/TargetCache.lua")

Script.Load("lua/MarineTeam.lua")
    Script.Load("lua/AlienTeam.lua")

Script.Load("lua/Bot.lua")
    Script.Load("lua/VoteManager.lua")

Script.Load("lua/ServerAdmin.lua")
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You will also want to make sure that you place the Script.Load("lua/DAKLoader.lua") before the load statement for ServerConfig. It
    also needs to be after Script.Load for Shared.lua. (Between lines 13 and 23 currently (B228)).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I understood it like this, that you have to add it twice to the file. I added it after Shared.lua first, did not load. Added it before! ServerConfig.lua, it did not load. Then I added it after Shared.lua AND before ServerConfig.lua and it loaded.

I DO NOT know, why it is like this and why it acted like this. At least I never had to modify my mapcycle to include the mod, it always runs after each map cycle.
    I did modify mapcycle, for the .lua method does command line have to be modified?
    edited November 2012
    No, you do not need to add the mod in the command line. I can say this for certain this time :)
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It only needs to be loaded once, the instructions should say after Shared.lua and before ServerConfig.lua. However having it loaded twice will not cause any issues.

You wouldnt need to modify any other files if you are loading it that way, adding the ID for the workshop mod is not needed and would only cause additional issues.
    edited November 2012
    I'm not sure why it's not working for me then...I've added the line. Placed all the files in the preset locations..modified the lua...change loadfromlua to true...I'm not sure what I'm missing

Plugins go into lua/plugins, correct?
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Topic: Modded Server Filter, Whitelist, Consistency Checking, Steam Workshop

For me, the drive and excitement of hosting a NS Server, is and has always been to make it unique, different and special.
    This necessarily includes the use of mods and plugins.

Unfortunaly, several Problems and Restrictions surrounding those, are making it near impossible for me to use them.
    And I'm sure a lot of other server owners feel the same.

Here is a list:

1) Modded Server Browser Filter & Whitelist:
    On by default, even re-enabling itself on the next start of NS2, if unchecked.
    Forces server owners to make the following decision: Mods (= empty server) or people playing. I posted a possible solution here.
    For why a whitelist is a very impractical and insufficient attempt to solve this, I posted something here. Edit: And here.

2) Consistency Checking & Steam Workshop:
    I posted a whole thread dedicated to these issues over in the server forums.
    Unfortunaly no reply from UWE yet. So it's still unknown wheter this "serverside consistency checking" is intended or a bug.

3) Small Private Mods and Branches of bigger Mods:
    Both Whitelisting and Steam Workshop requirement are making it very hard and impractical for individual server admins to develope their own, customized branches / versions out of "mainstream" mods.
    It also affects the developement of small private mods, as each mod/plugin, no matter how small or minor, has to be uploaded to Steam Workshop and be whitelisted.
    Lets take NS2Stats or DAK Admin Mod as an example. Even if one of those was both, available on Steamworks and whitelisted, server admins could still only run the entirely identical version of the mod, as it is on Steamworks and Whitelisted.
    Even small modifications/customizations to the code, to fit the individual servers needs, would (and will!) make it not whitelisted anymore & trigger serverside consistency checking.
    (Again, it is currently unknown if the latter is even intended.)

Please do something about it, UWE.
    Serverside modding has to be just as easy and accessible as in NS1.
    Remember that it was the modding community and server admins who kept the game popular and alive for so long.
    (Not to mention the loyal community, which is smart enough to tell a modded from an unmodded server. They already do have different colors in the server browser, jeez.)
    This is important to us.

Reposted, due to the new forum irreparably destroying links & formation.
    Official statement regarding those issues would still be appreciated. :]
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Atm this community is driven by workless serveradmins who can hang around 6 hrs every day on theyr servers to fill them.
    But people who spend time in extensions are wasting there time, cause people dont join modded servers.

We have great community maps, gui based votingsystems and other great serverside enhancements.
    Go and tell the people how wonderfull servermods are instead of trying to bypass the modflag.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    dePARA wrote: »
    Atm this community is driven by workless serveradmins who can hang around 6 hrs every day on theyr servers to fill them.
    But people who spend time in extensions are wasting there time, cause people dont join modded servers.

We have great community maps, gui based votingsystems and other great serverside enhancements.
    Go and tell the people how wonderfull servermods are instead of trying to bypass the modflag.

Or, you know: UWE could just stop discriminating mods already, as if they are something bad and not what kept NS1 alive for so long - ultimately making NS2 possible at all.
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    Agreed. UWE should identify, but not discriminate against modded servers
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    They said they'd get rid of marking modded servers as yellow.
    Though I hope they also fix the default filter.

The mod tag and ingame notifications are more than sufficient to tell people what is going on.