Railgun Exo's 8 minutes into a competitive game... got some good fps footage

RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Heellllooooooooo NS2 FANS!

So North American teams AtroX and Team156 clashed last night on Summit and Tram. AtroX ended up proving just too much for Team156 to handle - but still good games all around. I have to hand it to 156 for sticking it out and forcing AtroX to earn each "W".

That being said, something happened in the 3rd round that I myself have never seen in a competitive match - Railgun Exo's 8 (or 9) minutes into the match. I don't think in all the matches I have casted I have EVER seen Exo's on the field - of any type. And I've casted a lot of matches! So I was really excited to see these in action. Marshall from AtroX was REALLY good with it - one shotting aliens left and right and I got some good first-person footage of his rampage.

And because Neatchee and I were NOT expecting Exo's at all, especially that early, we didn't even notice until I saw the kill icon in the top left lol

Anyway, enjoy! Action starts at 7:15 if you want to skip to it.

Comments

• SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    It's funny, you can see the "Exo research complete" symbol come up at about 5:30 but you guys were so busy doing play by play you must have missed it. I'm surprised we didn't see any exos on the field sooner than we did.
    Well played.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Spooge wrote: »
    It's funny, you can see the "Exo research complete" symbol come up at about 5:30 but you guys were so busy doing play by play you must have missed it. I'm surprised we didn't see any exos on the field sooner than we did.
    Well played.

haha! Failed casting FTW! ;)
  • Marshall_DrumminMarshall_Drummin Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174115Members
    My man RedDog dishin out some exciting casting. Haven't heard colorful commentary like this since Brood War during KESPA's era.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    That was funny to see. :)
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    9:25

"uncharged shots deal 150 damage"

blatant lie :/
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I believe an uncharged shot is 100, or less.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    That might be vs structures? Considering full charge does 200 to lifeform and 400 to building. Technically it's not a lie and I think they were caught up in the moment! :D

Railguns so damn awesome to play with and play against.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

"uncharged shots deal 150 damage"

Railgun; Chuck Norris edition.
    iirc it's 50 damage uncharged.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My man RedDog dishin out some exciting casting. Haven't heard colorful commentary like this since Brood War during KESPA's era.

Your railgun shots were amazing. Never seen so many exploding Aliens!
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    iirc it's 50 damage uncharged.

Yeah, pretty sure it's 50 to life forms and 100 to structures. It's more DPS to charge it.
  • neatcheeneatchee Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184006Members
    Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure ChrisAUS has it right. It's 150 to buildings, uncharged, on weapons 3. I was definitely caught up in the moment :P I DEFINITELY know that I've seen 150 damage numbers when using uncharged shots on a rail.

I'm also 100% positive that spamming uncharged shots does higher DPS than charging every shot. The charge time takes long enough that it results in lower DPS.

RedDog and I will be doing a video in the next few days that will test out exactly how much damage the rail gun outputs at each weapon level, both charged and uncharged, so we'll have some final, conclusive answers for you on this.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Weapons upgrades aren't supposed to affect exos, unless that's a recent change.
  • neatcheeneatchee Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184006Members
    Possible. Just another thing for us to test for conclusive results :3

But we just confirmed with some raw footage from immediately after the Gorgeous update landed that uncharged spams at weapon 0 were doing anywhere from 115 to 135 against structures (and this was just some random fire, not a controlled test). 400 for charged shots.

Again, we'll do some controlled tests soon and post the videos.
    edited March 2013
    no need for tests, it's structural damage (double to structures).

the damage is linear 100-400 depending on charge.

so, against players it's 50-200.

it's not increased by weapon upgrades, and due to the long cooldown between shots it most definitely feels like fully charged shots gives higher dps without even needing to verify with a stopwatch.
    unscientific raligun test:

It's actually kind of hard to get a completely uncharged shot off, but i'm seeing 9 uncharged (between 112-120, gonna call it 116) per 10 seconds, and 3 charged per 10 seconds. So it's something like 104.4 dps for uncharged and 120 charged.... but that test is not very scientific, i didn't have anything in mind when i did it i just went and spammed shots at the hive for awhile.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    thoose railgun exos had some epic aim!
    one time i got advance armory the second we started and second base was up so fast no body had the pres to buy exos when they was researched! :D must been some record of some sort. if you dont loose extractors and team really defend what you got instead of replacing all the stuff you can advance soo fast its almost criminal!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ugh. My decision to fade charge those exos look even more terrible in retrospect. That exo tactic threw off my normal economic prediction meta-gaming.

Anyways, gg AtroX and nice to see non-standard strats being tried out in these matches.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    neatchee wrote: »
    in the next few days that will test out exactly how much damage the rail gun outputs at each weapon level, both charged and uncharged, so we'll have some final, conclusive answers for you on this.

Thanks for the feedback!

you should shoot the hive from 100 to 0% charged and uncharged as close as you can get, then put the 2 footages side by side and label them charged uncharged so you get the comparison from the first second you start attacking the hive!

for bonus do the same while fisting it at the same time and we can count dmg/second then multiply per exo so if you wanna killa hive in X seconds you will need X exos to attack at the same time :D
    edited March 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Ugh. My decision to fade charge those exos look even more terrible in retrospect. That exo tactic threw off my normal economic prediction meta-gaming.

Anyways, gg AtroX and nice to see non-standard strats being tried out in these matches.

It's actually not as bad of an idea as you think, fades are REALLY good at taking out railguns if you can get in close and stay behind them and I think we were just getting armor 2 up at that point. I honestly thought we were going to have to change tactics after we lost the first two exos.. that was a major hit to our Pres.
    RadimaX wrote: »
    thoose railgun exos had some epic aim!
    one time i got advance armory the second we started and second base was up so fast no body had the pres to buy exos when they was researched! :D must been some record of some sort. if you dont loose extractors and team really defend what you got instead of replacing all the stuff you can advance soo fast its almost criminal!

You can get armor 1 + railguns up in 4:45 if you can mange to hold 4 rts. No one will be able to buy them until about 6 minutes in though.
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    Tarquinbb is right. 50-200 structural damage regardless of upgrades. (X2 for structures)

Now on to important discussions. I haven't seen the video yet but I am excited to hear about possible rail gun meta game. In theory it sounds like a reasonable strat. 50 res rail gun exo to gimp pre-fade life forms and step on eggs.

Otherwise there's only one strategy, Jp+sg
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I've seen some more of your recent videos, it's really cool that you start to use first person more frequently. It adds a lot!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's actually not as bad of an idea as you think, fades are REALLY good at taking out railguns if you can get in close and stay behind them and I think we were just getting armor 2 up at that point. I honestly thought we were going to have to change tactics after we lost the first two exos.. that was a major hit to our Pres.
    True, but I don't really have much practice at doing it without blink. I gambled my fade on the hope that I wouldn't make a ss+jump misstep against two railgun exos. The issue is that if both of them focus-fired on me, you could kill me in a single shot from each. I violated my 'stay alive at all cost' fade rule because I was desperate for a change in the momentum. It didn't work out in the end.
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    edited March 2013
    anyone else feel like the railgun is a nerfed AWP from CS?

*edit* either way, I feel like aliens are lacking a lot. marines get entirely different units when... aliens don't... and nothing to counter the railgun...
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    Finished watching. I look forward to exo strats being fine tuned. One thing i noticed was they pushed for armor upgrades which made sense. So i believe the theory was that railguns would carry the team to an end. It might work better if at least one exo went minigun. I think it would go a lot smoother once jp are out asap as non-exos wouldn't need to rely on exos for survivability. Or if jp+sg was tech'd before railgun.

It was nice to see shift first with egg spawning. It's hard to determine if that was what allowed them to finally get a second hive or that AtroX went for fast exo.

irEric wrote: »
    It was nice to see shift first with egg spawning. It's hard to determine if that was what allowed them to finally get a second hive or that AtroX went for fast exo.
    It was fast exo. The shift hive was unfortunately necessary because that Havok/Marshall Drummin combo was wrecking our survivability even before exos. I actually told my team that we needed to make them pay for going fast exo. Sadly, we were unable to do so.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I love it when you go into FP-spec with the exos...so much more exciting seeing it from the ground :P
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wonder what would be good counter tactic for that. Don't think that fades work very well against railgun exos because they can get fully charged shot to face pretty easily and lerks aren't as effective at sniping from distance since they are so easy to spot these days. Skip fades and save for onos?
  • DeskLampDeskLamp Australia Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182783Members
    I would imagine good intelligence would prepare aliens for an exo attack. Exos can be pretty easy to kill once you have a few skulks close range. Once they get into the hive it seems to get more difficult to get them out.