Build 242 the performance................ again ...

ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
my god this ... GODLIKE PERFORMANCE

what did u thought ? build 242 is totaly awesome the lowest fps on descent @ 24 slot after 55 minutes was 38 ! thank you so much for this UWE - totaly nice work on that build NS2 runs now on a MUCH HIGHER overall and min. fps ! keep this work going now the game is playable on field for me after a long time of 239/240/241 !

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    There's a big absence of people complaining about performance this patch...something's up.
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    Performance is significantly better with this patch. Thanks UWE!

It's still not "Good" though. I'm still being limited by a 4Ghz AMD 8120. I have a really terrible Radeon 5670 (it's a terrible $90-100 budget card from three years ago) and the CPU is still consistently the bottleneck in most parts of the game. Any kind of fight will always bottleneck at the CPU. The game is definitely more enjoyable after this patch, but it still does not run very well, and it definitely does not run well for a ton of people with a CPU that would even be 10-20% slower than mine.

Overall though I'm glad I can maintain at least 40-45 for much of the game. It still hits 30's in the large lategame fights.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    God damnit my fps is terrible. I'm only getting 100.
  • AddedAdded Join Date: 2013-03-20 Member: 184098Members
    I still get slight performance hits in areas with a lot of infestation, but gameplay is SIGNIFICANTLY smoother this time around.
    dux wrote: »

Nobody is getting 100FPS. As a dev you should probably be aware of this. People with $200 2500K and 3570K CPUs that are also overclocked can't maintain 60 in lategame fights, at least before this patch. Hopefully after the patch a $200 CPU can maintain at least 60.This game has a serious problem. My CPU isn't great, but it's not a budget CPU by any stretch of imagination, and sub 30 FPS lategame is really bad.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Nobody is getting 100FPS. As a dev you should probably be aware of this. People with $200 2500K and 3570K CPUs that are also overclocked can't maintain 60 in lategame fights, at least before this patch. Hopefully after the patch a $200 CPU can maintain at least 60.This game has a serious problem. My CPU isn't great, but it's not a budget CPU by any stretch of imagination, and sub 30 FPS lategame is really bad.

That was joke...
  • frallan123frallan123 Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151962Members
    in competitive 6vs6 I can mostly maintain 100fps+ didnt feel any performance boost or anything negative with this patch.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    edited March 2013

Joke, you can relax.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

I get 100fps....dropping to 80 sometimes.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I know it was a joke, but the reality is this game has a significantly higher minimum fps for responsive gameplay than other games. Most games are at like 30 or even 25. NS2 is at like 125 or so... I haven't played 142 or 143 yet so hey, maybe it's changed.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    edited March 2013
    I play with 30 fps...

And I like it that way!

(Not really, but it's a 6 year old "middle of the road" rig. I don't expect much out of it.)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Is there a actual tech support issue here or should I close this/ move to general discussion?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2066155/#Comment_2066155
    derWalter was apparently getting an average of 144fps back in B237. Though, he has a beastly machine and was running in 1024x768 with minimal graphics.
    That's actually really damn impressive, but it has to be emphasized that that is a water-cooled overclocked over $300 CPU, very very fast RAM, and 6v6 on a private professional server. Gameplay on such a server is not representative of what you'll see in most game as those games tend to be shorter and not contain as many performance-expensive things such as lerk spores. The smallest servers people play on are also 8v8, and there is a very significant performance difference between 6v6 and 8v8. It's a 33% player increase, and from what I can tell there the performance drop per amount of people might be somewhat linear.

Also to the guy who said "I get 100fps", I also get 100 fps. In the ready room. High fps doesn't matter in places it's not needed. It's in fights where fps is the most important, and that's where it's always the lowest. The performance graphs in the thread ScardyBob linked to kind of speak for themselves.
    edited March 2013
    That's cool, I get 180fps in the RR.

100 When running around the map normally, 80 in fights, and I never drop below 60 when recording with a 3rd party program like fraps or bandicam.
    The only time my fps drops really low (45 or less) for more than half a second is when I enter a room that has 20 whips, 15 crags and 12 players in it. But since that never really happens, I'm pretty satisfied with my performance.
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    hm alright since build 243 my game crashes during loadingscreens :-/

@IronHorse just wanted to troll a bit - this build didnt changed the performance into the worst finaly :P

@Ghosthree3 what setup do you use to play with + graphicaloptions?
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I have much better early to mid game performance since 242.
    Exoskelett wrote: »

@IronHorse just wanted to troll a bit - this build didnt changed the performance into the worst finaly :P

@Ghosthree3 what setup do you use to play with + graphicaloptions?

2600k at 4.5ghz (HT off), GTX520 "Overclocked" (nice of them not to tell me what to)
    In order from top to bottom my video settings are:
    1920x1080
    Fullscreen Windowed
    Disabled
    High
    High
    1/5
    Minimal
    On
    Off
    Off
    On
    Off
    On
    On
    Off
    On
  • PhoeBubbaPhoeBubba Join Date: 2012-09-23 Member: 160475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd like to chip in with a bit of gloom: Since the update I retrieved on the morning of the 21st my in game update rate has been unplayable across all range of pings. The frame rate looks okay but skulks bounce around even more erratically than skilled dodging would account for and marines are nowhere near where they were when I started to bite them. I've also had two crash to desktops today compared to only one or two over the entire lifetime of the game up to this point. Neither of the crashes prompted me to submit a bug report.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    performance is better i get +15-20 fps good job.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Is it consistent about what it says on the screen when it crashes? For example, does it say "Compiling updated shaders"? This process was the only change between 242 and 243, so that would be my immediate suspicion.

Compiling the shaders will push the CPU to 100% usage across all cores, which is something you don't often seen in normal usage. Have you run your overclocked CPU at that load before?
  • KenshikenKenshiken Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182698Members
    edited March 2013
    Is it consistent about what it says on the screen when it crashes? For example, does it say "Compiling updated shaders"? This process was the only change between 242 and 243, so that would be my immediate suspicion.

Compiling the shaders will push the CPU to 100% usage across all cores, which is something you don't often seen in normal usage. Have you run your overclocked CPU at that load before?

Will gonna check the CPU usage during compile, and, I have something to say -

I confirmed too that my game crashes during "Compiling updated shaders".
    Not every time, but, often.

.. and, I get another bunch of crashes (which I NEVER had with pre 242 patch) with 243 during the game flow, it's a "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime error".
    I am know a little bit about computers, so, I checked my Dxdiag, and it's ok, then, re-install all the Microsoft Visual C++ distribution's from MS site, reboot, re-install the game, but, still had that error.
    I dont know why it happens, I just play as normal as I would all the time.

And, yeah, another one is - light in menu is didnt appear, and it doesn't matter how much you wait. (tested it)
    This "bug" also come with 242, but, it's didnt crash my game, so, I didnt worry about it.

I like the game, but, this crashes and little bugs that come with 242 drives me a little bit insane from time to time, especially, when you on top of the scoreboard, you get crashed, and you sit on the chair, look at the desktop .. and there is your cat on your right, which yawn and looks sad, and you suddenly realise what he feels.

Sorry for my English, it's not my main language.

Edz4sb5S.png
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    and there is your cat on your right, which yawn and looks sad, and you suddenly realise what he feels.

haha made me laugh :D
    I dont have a cat, but I know what you mean!

I become the same kind of sad when I look at the scoreboard (tab) and tell my mates how awesome my score is (alt).
    ALT+TAB!!! So I am in windows, and the game explodes when I alt tab back. DOH! Happened to me like 1000 times.
  • rawinsrawins Join Date: 2013-03-21 Member: 184139Members
    The FPS still take a nose-dive everytime something is happening on screen. Please tone down all those awful particle-effects. Unlike game designers and artists we players *know* that particle effects are an incredible performance hog that add nothing gameplay wise.
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    Oh my lord NS2 is almost there! Give me 10 more fps and I'll call my performance issue fixed! 242 gives me constant 60+ all max but dips to 50s around some marine structures and late game large battles.

That 10 more fps would put me at a min of 60fps at max which is exactly what a great performing game should be :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    rawins wrote: »
    The FPS still take a nose-dive everytime something is happening on screen. Please tone down all those awful particle-effects. Unlike game designers and artists we players *know* that particle effects are an incredible performance hog that add nothing gameplay wise.

I'm sure the actual CPU bottle necked game code has absolutely nothing to do with "something is happening on screen" ...
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Max wrote: »

I'm running a core i7 920, with stock cooling not overclocked at all. normally runs at 60C. When I start compiling shaders all cores (4+4hyperthreaded) jump to 100% and temp starts climbing. at about 80C my computer started beeping a lot due to overheating. at 90C I alt+f4'd out of the game with shaders still at 60% or so. I'd rather this take longer than risk causing serious CPU problems.

update: i started ns2, set affinity to just 1 core and got through compiling shaders. overall performance is good but completely multithreading shader compilation seems pretty risky.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Locked as requested.
This discussion has been closed.