Remove camo, add... Echo.

Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
Camo isn't very popular choice now that it's nerfed. It's slow to move, if you want to keep it even partially active and you can't really approach marines directly with it. Tedious sneaking. Then I thought about silence -upgrade and how it allows you to move as fast as you want while still giving full benefit. And then I thought about anti-silence and came up with Echo -idea.
It would be a skill that allows you to make sounds from the spot you target with your crosshair. Sounds like Skulk's movement, Fade's shadowstep whoosh or maybe Gorge's gurgle. That way a skulk could get a marine turn his back to you and you could spam the sound until you were in biting distance. Or maybe the skulk could sneak away, if he was in a bad place. Or it could be used while fleeing to make marine(s) turn to face imaginary danger, if it was closer than the skulk.
The sound you first made would be repeated every time you use Echo -skill, until you waited 10 seconds and then the sound would be reseted. Otherwise, it would be pretty weird to first hear Skulk, then Lerk and then Onos. Maybe there should be some kind of crosshair -angle check, too. Gorges don't normally lurk on ceilings...
I think this could fit well in a game, where the sounds are so important.

Comments

• WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    Sorry, brah, i think evolutions should be as passive as possible, this sounds more akin to leap or something than to other evolutions.
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    Well, the way camo works now makes you keep shift -button pressed down ALOT. I think my idea would be actually improvement :P
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    This would be stinkin awesome to play with. It would be annoying as heck to play against as marines so I"m not so sure about it being a passive trait. Making it an ability for maybe the Fade could work though. The distraction tactic just enough to get the enemy or his buddy to turn around and let you get in and stab him. It's basically like hallucination except not as direct.

Or maybe even a drifter ability unlocked with shade hive evolution?

I very much like the idea, but I don't know about it being a shade trait.
  • ManwichManwich Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182715Members
    It's an interesting idea, but I think it would always be better for marines not to know you are there until it's too late rather than the marines knowing something is around and being alerted.
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think this would fool any player with bit of experience. There are only so many places where you can approach the marine from and if you have to target the place where you want the sound to be played you have just managed to reveal your location to marine.
    When I'm playing as marine, I'm always alert when going anywhere and when I'm playing as a skulk with camo I can see marines checking ceilings, pipes, ventilation shafts etc. so I don't think it would change that much. Except, if you use that in their base :). You could be able to make Echo sound come far away, if you targeted far, making marines a bit less alert than if you made the sound come from right behind them. That would probably result hilarious bunny hopping and maybe some wasted ammo.
    Zenu, let's imagine that you're waiting above a door and see marine's flashlight starting to point up because he wants to check ceiling. If you made a sound come a bit further, for example from a nearby ventilation shaft or from one of those endless pits or maybe so far away from curving hallway that he can't see there, he might investigate that first. Or if he still wanted to check above door first, you could point Echo to come right from his feet just before he spots you and when he jumps frantically pointing down, you get a drop on him. There's lots of possibilities.
  • rakzrakz Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164315Members
    Give back our camo!
  • ArmymunchkinArmymunchkin Join Date: 2012-06-30 Member: 153788Members
    This would be cool as some sort of Khammander ability or something so it allows Khammander to assist a player who is in a bad situation, like a player could be stuck in a vent and the commander could make a fade noise in a nearby area and distract the marine as the alien escapes
  • AkimotoAkimoto Norway Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183642Members
    This is an awesome idea.
  • FirebreathingmaniacFirebreathingmaniac Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184057Members
    It sounds pretty cool but it needs a new name there's all ready a mature shift ability called echo that lets you move stuff near the shift to anywhere on infestation.
    Oh.. Well then I suggest Kharaa Ventriloquism. Or A Trap (as in marine's last thought: "It's a trap!"). Other, more catchy name suggestions are highly appreciated.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Commander ability to click and create the sound of a Fade somewhere, akin to the Commander Scan mechanic? Simpler to use than a Drifter Enzyme, more equal to a Nano Shield.