Any plans for a demo?

noxnoctumnoxnoctum Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71985Members
I would like to buy this game but I'm not sure if my PC can handle it, it's right on the fringe of the min requirements.

Is there no demo or way for me to see if the game runs decently? I really enjoyed the first.

thanks

Comments

• EiZONEiZON Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65687Members
    Could be a good way to get people into the game also.

Although I'm not sure how you'd have a demo edition given it's an online multiplayer game.

Maybe it's just a 5 hour time-limited version or something...
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    EiZON wrote: »
    Could be a good way to get people into the game also.

Although I'm not sure how you'd have a demo edition given it's an online multiplayer game.

Maybe it's just a 5 hour time-limited version or something...

Problem is, that you can get endless free steam accounts, and therefore endless free Demos. So you need some limitations for the Demo, but I really can't think of any, which wouldn't destroy the game.
    The only thing i can think of would be an Explore Mode only Version. So you can test if the game is running on your machine and you can see what features the game has. But it would be a very boring demo ...
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    noxnoctum:

Demos are dated. . . with Steam it makes far more sense for UWE to offer a free weekend or 48 hour trial

Many have been disappointed with hardware performance after purchasing this title so if that is your concern I'd be wary and dig a little deeper before buying
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    B3rT wrote: »
    Problem is, that you can get endless free steam accounts, and therefore endless free Demos. So you need some limitations for the Demo, but I really can't think of any, which wouldn't destroy the game.
    The only thing i can think of would be an Explore Mode only Version. So you can test if the game is running on your machine and you can see what features the game has. But it would be a very boring demo ...
    Time-limited demos would be fine as the hassle of constantly getting new accounts/demos is pretty high. Also, its something steam could solve by requiring each new account to have one purchase before accessing free demos.

However, I think some sort of free benchmarking program would be helpful for NS2. Its totally reasonable to want to get an idea of the type of fps you can expect before purchasing a game.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    However, I think some sort of free benchmarking program would be helpful for NS2. Its totally reasonable to want to get an idea of the type of fps you can expect before purchasing a game.
    It would be nice to have an official benchmark. They could try to make it all cool like the gorilla trailer possibly.
  • noxnoctumnoxnoctum Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71985Members
    Well I lucked out, free weekend, downloading now. Hope it runs decently :).