Why are evolutions free?

thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
To be clear, I'm talking about celerity, etc. Not leap, etc. I suppose asymmetry is the answer. Life form explosions aren't best as bad as they once were. But to some degree they still occur. Giving evolutions a small charge, say 1-2 pres could further spread life forms out. It would encourage players to think more. Hopefully less throwing away skulks because they want to keep from rebuying evolutions so they can evolve sooner. Skulks are fodder, yes, so the cost cannot be too great. Some player will forgo evolutions in favor of reaching a higher life form sooner.

Thought? Opinions? Reasons I am an idiot who should be banned from existing? :)

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Upgrades cost res early on in the beta.
    Result: nobody used upgrades on skulks.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    thefonz wrote: »
    To be clear, I'm talking about celerity, etc. Not leap, etc. I suppose asymmetry is the answer. Life form explosions aren't best as bad as they once were. But to some degree they still occur. Giving evolutions a small charge, say 1-2 pres could further spread life forms out. It would encourage players to think more. Hopefully less throwing away skulks because they want to keep from rebuying evolutions so they can evolve sooner. Skulks are fodder, yes, so the cost cannot be too great. Some player will forgo evolutions in favor of reaching a higher life form sooner.

Thought? Opinions? Reasons I am an idiot who should be banned from existing? :)
    Symmetry as marines dont pay for their armour upgrades (ala carapce).

Also it was tried and was a terrible failure during the beta, simply punished aliens when marines got everything for free (and could recycle most p-res purchases).

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Replies from strofix and hakenspit and my butt/brain doesn't hurt? Madness. Was in beta, don't remember that phase. Must have repressed it.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Who is responsible for the butt and who for the brain? :P
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    |strofix|:

Do you know if that setup was ever tested with pres for kills?

I'm sure if you were confident enough to break even on the deal that plenty would of still evolved as skulks with that setup
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Marines get weapon and armor upgrades for free. It wouldn't make sense to force the aliens to pay for theirs
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    upgrades cost res in earlier versions of ns1 and no skulk ever used them because it wasn't worth delaying the fade/lerk/hive.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Because we need another stupid mechanic in addition to no-res-while-dead to encourage aliens to sit and wait for res?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    |strofix| wrote: »
    This.

It only made sense to spend PRes on lifeforms expected to live longer than a minute or two.
    |strofix|:

Do you know if that setup was ever tested with pres for kills?

I'm sure if you were confident enough to break even on the deal that plenty would of still evolved as skulks with that setup
    RFK was removed in B194 (Gorilla) and upgrades became free in B205 so (I believe) there was some overlap between RFK and non-free upgrades (though I can't find which build upgrades were introduced and whether they started out as free or not). However, it still made more sense to put your RFK PRes towards a lerk or fade than throwing it away on skulks.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, it's just not a fun choice to make. Marines get their weapon/armor upgrades for free, why should skulks have to pay?
    I think it would be interesting to see the effect of hyper effective upgrades on gameplay.
    So, if all life forms other than the skulk were made significantly weaker, but upgrades were made significantly more powerful, how this would affect the opinion of the skulk as an end game lifeform.

At the moment, the skulk is essentially a stepping stone to bigger and better things. The intention was of course to ensure that no life form was ever made obsolete, and to a certain extent this has been accomplished, but lets be honest; a fade is better than a skulk, every time.
    If life forms like lerks, fades and onos were made weaker, but had their upgrades buffed in turn, they could be kept roughly where they currently are in terms of power. However, this system would then allow skulks to, for example, get carapace that provided twice the amount of armour, or celerity that increased speed by 50% more than it currently does. For a price, of course.

In such a system, the skulk would definitely still die more often than a fade or lerk, but it would obviously be more reliable to keep alive, and be more effective in combat. If a lerk would need to spend 30 resources to evolve, and 4 resources for two upgrades, then a skulk would be able to die 8 times, getting two upgrades each life, during the lerks life time in order to break even.
    You could essentially get "career skulks".
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members

This was also tried in NS1 - did they forget why they removed it?
    ultranewb wrote: »

This was also tried in NS1 - did they forget why they removed it?

They remembered why they wanted it in.