Troll Comms and What to Do?

jvedrickjvedrick Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183891Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey all,

This thread is inspired by getting troll commed in 1 server three times (explained better below) in a row, switching servers and then troll commed again in that one.

The first one some guy (dont know if you can name names on here) hopped in on aliens side and nutrient misted a bunch of times then left. Everyone f4'd and restarted game.
Then he (under a different name) trolled marines by dropping a bunch of med packs, then left. F4, reset.
Then, under a different name yet a third time (he talked in each one trying to put the blame on someone else, that's how i know it was the same guy), misted a bunch again. I left the server.

New server same story, anyways i really have not ran into this too much but was wondering if there is some process to report them and how to do that. I saved both of their names, is that enough? Thanks all in advance.

Also, is it national troll day or something?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ideally, you get a video or screenshot of what they did and their steamIDs (via sv_status in the console) and post it on the relevant server/community websites/forums.
  • jvedrickjvedrick Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183891Members
    Thanks for the reply ScardyBob i will use that console command in the future. If this is not the relevant place to post this, what would be an example of somewhere else to do so. ( i honestly don't know not trying to be snarky) Do most servers have a website?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Many do, but the lack of a MOTD typically makes it hard to find them. The easiest way is just to google the server's name to find their corresponding website/forums.
  • ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
    These trolls were rampant yesterday. There are at least three of them, working in concert to disrupt as many games as possible. Typically as marines they'll let the game run for a while, then recycle everything and waste those resources by scanning a thousand times or dropping medpacks. As aliens they'll dump everything into mists after killing the cyst chain. I recorded the Steam ID of at least one of them. It's just a matter of getting the server admins to ban them. Unfortunately, there is no centralized mechanism to do that, and most of the servers run all day every day without a single admin present, and no mechanism for the players to vote kick or ban. So the trolls have a flipping field day without any semblance of retribution. It's destroying the game, honestly.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    votekick
    voteban
    voterandom
    votemap
    votecommander

these things should be standard on all servers imo.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's not much to be done about a troll comm that gets in at the start of the game, that game is ruined no matter what. However I think it would be nice if there were some restrictions about new comms that jump in the chair. For instance, prevent them from recycling anything for 15 seconds, and if the previous commander votes to Eject during that time then he is instantly removed.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    you can do but one thing:
    THROW IT INTO THE FIRE! DESTROY IT!
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    edited March 2013
    There should be an hour playtime limit before you can comm. Maybe at least 40 hours or so. Really you need that much experience before you know what to do in the chair.

At the least this would prevent them using throwaway accounts and would make the penalty for being banned higher.

If no one has the required playtime then just force the senior guy to do it.

PS: I also got hit like 5 times across 3 or 4 servers.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Throwaway accounts? Don't they have to rebuy the game for each account?
    They might, I'm not sure. It's not a deterrent if they are using stolen credit cards (which is possible as the steam key resale fiasco shows).
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sv_status on some of these unpleasant players reveals at least 15 hours, if not more. Most prevalent on marine side, perhaps had their butts kicked as an alien too many times.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    If you need an admin for one of these trolls on an Official UWE server, please contact me.
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960471387/
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    jvedrick wrote: »
    The first one some guy (dont know if you can name names on here) [..]
    You can't. We don't want these forums to be flooded with hacker/troll call-out threads.
    But that only applies to these forums. If someone out there feels that there needs to be some centralized place to keep track of trolls/hackers, we won't/can't stop you.
  • john_wesleyjohn_wesley Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183445Members
    imo the worst kind of comm trolls are the ones that don't show themselves until later in the game, the other day I played a game where 10 minutes in on veil, we had no upgrades, sentries everywhere, and phase gates going from control to topographical and skylights. At that point you can't really prove whether the comm is actually horribly incompetent or actually trolling, but that person can continue to be "horrible" and ruin game after game and unfortunately you can't ban someone for being bad at the game.
    Yeah, the longer they let it run the worse it is since you have more 'invested' in that game.

I just started getting in the chair ASAP. So then they vote ejected me when there was only a couple of people on the team. Or they would just get the Alien chair and screw up the game that way.

Incredibly annoying.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    imo the worst kind of comm trolls are the ones that don't show themselves until later in the game, the other day I played a game where 10 minutes in on veil, we had no upgrades, sentries everywhere, and phase gates going from control to topographical and skylights. At that point you can't really prove whether the comm is actually horribly incompetent or actually trolling, but that person can continue to be "horrible" and ruin game after game and unfortunately you can't ban someone for being bad at the game.

Well if the team/entire server tells him not to com any more because he is so bad and he keeps getting in com anyway you would be justified in a ban. People deserve a chance to learn but if you have a consensus going that you don't want him doing something that affects everyone else then they need to respect the wishes of the other people on the server.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Zek wrote: »
    There's not much to be done about a troll comm that gets in at the start of the game, that game is ruined no matter what. However I think it would be nice if there were some restrictions about new comms that jump in the chair.
    Why not restrict the things that can be done to prevent stupidity?

We had a huge debate over this once before, and while some people disagree, I still think some common sense restrictions would help cut down on a lot of this.

For example, if the marines do NOT have another IP, the commander should not be able to recycle the IP. If people want to quit, concede is available. Same for the main base extractor, why would you ever recycle that? Like I said, we had a huge debate in that thread and I still don't see why some common sense restrictions couldn't be put in place. It won't stop everything, but even if it cuts down on trolls a but it would be beneficial imho.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I'm seeing a lot of people start a round by getting in the chair, and then quitting the server as soon as the round starts.
    Not sure if trolling or not..
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    briatx wrote: »
    Yeah, the longer they let it run the worse it is since you have more 'invested' in that game.

Thanks for letting the entire internet know.

• DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Came across a cheat for the first time in my 2 years of playing NS2 last night.

Under the name of 'SpaceCow' on EpicEU server. Would basically teleport away out of danger whenever he pleased. 2 bites on him and he would vanish. (And no it definitely was not beacon, happened on numerous occasions where others would stay put, no beacon sound/flash to go with it). Was also using a pistol script along with telling everybody how bad ns2 was and throwing out random 12yo kid insults.

I've not played on that server before, just joined a friends game, so he could have been an admin for all I know.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Dusteh wrote: »
    Came across a cheat for the first time in my 2 years of playing NS2 last night.

Under the name of 'SpaceCow' on EpicEU server. Would basically teleport away out of danger whenever he pleased. 2 bites on him and he would vanish. (And no it definitely was not beacon, happened on numerous occasions where others would stay put, no beacon sound/flash to go with it). Was also using a pistol script along with telling everybody how bad ns2 was and throwing out random 12yo kid insults.

I've not played on that server before, just joined a friends game, so he could have been an admin for all I know.
    f4ing to save their precious stats.

@Ironhorse Whilst its great that your a point of contact for official servers....but is there someone for us aussies and kiwi's (or do you not sleep?)?

Also I think something needs to be done to stop early game recycling on 1 CC...even if its not totally restricting the selling of stuff in the tech point the comm is located...but just not allowing recycling in that tech point until a 2nd cc has been built.
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hadn't even thought about using f4 in combat, well that's definitely something that needs addressing.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    I hadn't even thought about using f4 in combat, well that's definitely something that needs addressing.
    Well all it does is save their stats...doesn't help their team much as they still have to respawn.
    Is very lame though.
    edited March 2013
    Doesn't matter if it serves no benefit to you or them. Dissappearing from combat to prevent yourself from dying shouldn't be doable.

Would be an idea to make it so you can only F4 when dead, spectating and before a game starts (waiting on commanders).
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    And why is that, care to elaborate or just going to stick with a 3 word response?

Nothing stopping you from typing kill in console then hitting F4 if you need to get to the ready room that badly. Better than having people pull a disappearing act as it stands at the moment.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    And why is that, care to elaborate or just going to stick with a 3 word response?

Nothing stopping you from typing kill in console then hitting F4 if you need to get to the ready room that badly. Better than having people pull a disappearing act as it stands at the moment.

What in game benefit does f4ing to avoid a kill provide other than preserving your k:d ratio? There is no RFK, stats are meaningless ePeen measurements, and the player is still in the respawn queue and not "in ur base killin ur d00ds"?
    edited March 2013
    Because its retarded having somebody constantly disappearing during combat. As a player you're losing the satisfaction of outplaying and obtaining a kill. Advantageous or not its bloody stupid.

Thought that was obvious.
  • jvedrickjvedrick Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183891Members
    Lets stay on topic here,

Ironhorse, i was actually playing with you last night before i checked here to see you had responded. We had some good games but the second time i was troll commed, that i talked about in the OP, was on that server. It was before i knew about the sv_status command so all i took down was his name, might not help. gg's last night tho.

Savant, i missed that discussion but all of those ideas sound effective at combating this problem. Ns2 is awesome because of its high learning curve, but it can be equally crushing not getting to use any of that knowledge, especially for several games in a row. Come to think of it getting troll commed in this game is more angering than any other trolling in any other game that i can think of.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Also F4 means a 0 chance recovery of weapons.