♫ Guess whos back. . . back again. . . 60-40's back. . . tell a friend. . . ♪
So basically if you toss out the wins from the skulk rush Marines instantly go to a 58.5% win rate over aliens
Why am I tossing them out?
I really don't have to. . . if you weight the graph based on time played Marines would be awarded a much steeper percent
(basically it will "feel" like the marines are winning much more than aliens because the players will log more hours in games won by marines)
We aren't there yet, but I feel like a 60-40 is right around the corner
So why is it so awful?
Aliens are mostly melee so players will often feel like trapped, wounded animals waiting to die instead of being able to have a glorious last stand in base like Marines get
(there's exceptions obviously like if your whole team goes Gorge to wall off the last room, but this rarely happens)
Since this will likely transition into a balance discussion anyway I'd like to talk about 3 separate issues: Weak Onos, Weaker Ambush Tactics, and Weaker Map Control
I played a 6on6 yesterday and the Alien team rolled into the Marine base with everyone which including 2 Onos when we had only 3 of our players there
Can you guess what happened next? If you guessed "Marines kicked them out" come claim your prize!
No jetpacks online yet either. . .
Nano-Shield and Distress Beacon was enough to trump it and I truly felt that we got outplayed and should of lost
That's probably best case scenario too; worst case is that Marines have JPs and your team is stuck on 2 hives when 1 is a Shade
You might as well just throw that 75 res in the trashcan because 2 Marines can easily solo you; probably wouldn't be hard to find stories where someone beat a 1on1 as well
● Nano-Shield only effecting structures has been discussed many times; I don't agree with it, but I'd be willing to try it out if it gets a sidegrade buff along with the change
● Shade's 3rd evolution that is perfect for an Onos planning on assaulting a tech point; Surprise us UWE. . . make it a must have for non-stealth play
Weaker Ambush Tactics:
Cloak was dumbed down, bile bomb nerfed, and unintelligent and expensive NPCs/Structures
I'm actually fine with the cloak change, but I'll see 5 or 6 games where players don't know how to use it before I see one game where it gets results
That alone is enough to make me think it still needs some more tweaks, but we'll get to that later
Gorge /w adrenaline up on the ceiling Bile Bombing down the power while 9 Babblers are also attack the node
Marine comes over with a shotgun and welder; 8/9 Babblers go down in 2 shots, welds standing on medpacks, and the commander comes over and pops me
This scenario wasn't just getting unlucky. . . this repeated 3 or 4 times. . .
Lastly are the expensive structures that almost never get played because their effect on the game is so low
Even worse are the abilities that require too much skill to operate
● Moving with 100% cloak still allowed while on infestation; Lerk doesn't uncloak while gliding regardless of speed
● Babblers need a damage increase on structures. . . how about a major attack speed increase if they cling to them; would also cap the number that can cling
● Autocast toggling system; Ink goes off if scanned, Cysts can rupture when walked over, Crags automatically boost heal if a lifeform/structure is <50% life near them
● Mature structures sprayed with mist will very slowly transform into their advanced version and/or transform with a lot of help from Gorges
● Normal structures can use their advanced abilities for a premium (double the cost) and also puts stress on the structure (scaling damage based on % of maturity)
● Immature cysts can be ruptured, but the rupture will sacrifice the cyst and cost 1 more if we go along with the previous suggestion (so 3 res total. . . very fair)
● Whips can be toggled to reach up, grab, and attach ceilings (if low enough); they will then curl up to try and hide more for marines passing below them
Weaker Map Control:
Most of the major map imbalances are due to Marines punishing unmanageable starting hive locations and vulnerable/long cyst chains
Refinery and Docking are the biggest culprits of this with Decent being a close 3rd due to it's distance between nodes
If Marines start off next to a hive and lock down the natural resource or hive expansion on the other end Aliens are basically finished
Gorge tunnels do nothing when you have to sneak the Gorge back across what is essentially no mans land to get it online
Trying to ninja drop a hive that maybe only 1 or 2 lifeforms can sneak over to is also incredibly risky
2 Marines can drop in all the equipment they need before putting down the chair, but without the cysts Aliens can only rely on a few hydras or guards that can't heal
Pretty much an instant lose if you factor in med drops
● New map mechanics added; a limited number of doors/vents that can be damaged by aliens or welded to keep them open or closed (Courtyard's access to Stability *cough*)
● Being able to place cysts chains through areas that cannot traversed by players (grates, debris, or other natural obstructions)
● New cyst autobuild mechanic; Automatically builds a cyst chain to a nearby resource tower for 5 res regardless of distance (Marine killing one cyst will stop spread)
● New cyst ability "Oversaturate"; Costs 3 res, will completely fill a room with infestation (requires at least 5 mature cysts in the room)
● Being able to build cysts through a vent (requires that one of the connecting rooms is in the "Oversaturated" state)
● New Drifter Researchable "Acid Secretion" - lets them attach to structures to deal better damage
Honorable Mention (Marines):
● EMP usable by default on MACs, but disables Marine structures and Exos for a short time if caught in blast
● New MAC Researchable "Electrify" - lets MAC reroute power to itself and up to one other structure dealing weak damage to nearby enemies and each time it's attack with melee
● +15% move speed to Exos or allow Exos to use jet jump fuel to sudo-dash forward for brief time (maybe Tribes style ski-ing down ramps?)
● Exo researchable that upgrades Fists to Flamethrowers (Requires flamethrower tech from AA as a prerequisite first)
● A new, expensive, Marine deployable that can be bought from a Robotics Factory after it has been researched
● Arms Lab required before Marines can research Shotguns
● An inexpensive personal distress beacon purchasable at an Armory after it has been researched from an Observatory
● Tier 1 equipment pres cost reduced by 5 when bought from an Advanced Armory (free welders from AA in other words)
● Additional upgrades for advanced weapons researchable from the Prototype Lab (these will not be cheap)
-- Proximity Fuses for GL (nades blow up when near a target increasing chance to hit, but reducing damage)
-- High Pressure Canister for Flamethrower (increases range and slight increase to damage; violently discharge when damaged by bile on the ground)
-- GPS Slugs for Shotgun (all damage in one spot, Aliens/Structures hit by slug that are still alive will be tracked until they die)
-- High Explosives for Mines (Mines deal much more damage, but are unstable and will blow up on their own 1 minute after purchase or when shot)
-- GL attachment for LMG (I thought it was good. . . I want it back even if it's only for late game)
● Mines can be thrown a short distance with alt fire (Still blow up instantly when they land on infestation, toss them a short ways ahead of you, or tossing into high vents)
Also. . .
As a last word can someone explain to me how to get a 33% win rate on only 2 games?
Maybe I'm not reading the charts right. . .
This discussion has been closed.