Unplayable freezing since gorgeous update

2»

Comments

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Yep yep, I'm not concerned that the issue is being ignored.

Removing the router wasn't much help either.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The situation you are describing definitely sounds like some sort of packet loss (specifically you are not receiving updates from the server). Can you post a log (from the log.txt file) with net_log 3 during a game in which this happens?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I sent it to max, but here it is again for reference:
    http://www.bentring.com/netlog.txt
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    After reviewing your log again,something i didnt see before:
    "Connection attempt discarded (host isn't accepting connections)"

You have tried various servers, yes? official and non? different regions?

edit: Max says that error could just be left over packets from the server.

What modem and ISP are you connected to again?
    Yes, I've tried various servers in various regions and on some it occurs sooner than others but I can't recall trying any official ones. I'll make sure to do that. I'm using Charter for the ISP, my modem is a Surfboard SB6121 and although I guess it doesn't matter since I bypassed it with no difference, my router is a Linksys WRT54GL with openwrt firmware.

If it will help, I might could beg to get a log from a server admin to see what it looks like from that side of the issue.
    Was able to play for over 2 hours across 1 official, and two other non official with no problem just now. :D Even if problems continue in the future it was nice to get a fix.
  • X-pxMaSX-pxMaS Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25430Members
    Congrats!

Unfortunately I still have this problem. If developers/testers require i'll do a wireshark capture on the correct port range.

BR,
    Janos
    Oh the problem still exists for me, I just had a lucky night.

It does seem to be the least frequent on official servers and of course happens to most on my favorites.
  • Apocalypse DudeApocalypse Dude Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63208Members
    edited March 2013
    I've had this problem too. Oddly enough, it only happens on the marine side.
    I hadn't noticed that but I just tested and happened on aliens on two different servers, one of them official.

• AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Ah I am having a similar freezing problem. Not sure if mine is the same, but does your game lose focus for a few seconds as it freezes? (as if you alt-tabbed to your desktop, black screens for a few seconds, then resumes as normal)

In my case I found that switching from Fullscreen-Window with VSync to Fullscreen without VSync helped the problem quite a bit. It still occurs as frequently, but recovers much faster. (recovers in 3 seconds instead of around 20)

Mine is also not related to what is happening around me. It happens as often when I'm just skulking around running across the map to somewhere as it does in the critical moment of the battle. I find that if I was moving forward as it starts to freeze then I still move forward until it recovers, and other players just see me with 999 ping until I return.
  • GenericOverusedNameGenericOverusedName Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183022Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been having this intermittently, but I just assumed it was something weird with how my network is set up.

Last server I was on that it happened, everybody experienced it at the same time, though. So who knows...
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Turned out mine was due to dual monitors. 1st display is my TV via HDMI, 2nd display is my monitor via DVI (primary) -- using extend displays. Only using 1 monitor stopped all freezing for me.

WIN+P shortcut then allows me to switch between single monitor and extend displays quickly.
    It seems my issue has cleared up. No idea what happened that fixed it but I've been able to play with no trouble for 2 days.
    I hadn't even considered the display being the cause!
    Thanks for reporting everyone, passing this along.
    @bentring does any of this display related info jive on your end? (I know you can't seem to repro though)
    Nope, I've not changed anything at all on my end. Just tried playing it daily and Thursday I was able to with no problem on any server.
    Display only appears to be part of the cause. Yesterday the issue came back again mid-game with just 1 monitor active. I thought "oh ffffssssssss" at first, but it recovered itself completely back to normal literally within 1 second. Didn't get time to see the desktop.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I have this problem too, It seems to happen when my data received rate goes to 10kbytes per second +, my ping rises above whatever it was (60 or so) to huge amounts (ranging between 120 and more usually, 1500+).

I'll install fraps and record some video footage of it, I'll also grab a net_log 3.
  • AscheAsche Join Date: 2013-03-19 Member: 184077Members
    edited March 2013
    Hello,

I think i have the same problem, i made video of it :
    Still have good FPS between the lags, 40 - 60 maybe.

The game is on a SSD with Windows 7, config : ATI HD6950, i5 2400 @3.1Ghz and 4 Go of ram (Win 32bits) I should check log too.