Nicer text (and voice) chat

hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
edited March 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
NS2 lacks a fairly standard feature :) : a good text chat window. It should
1. allow you to use the mouse or arrow keys and a cursor to go back in the text, so you don't have to DEL half a sentence because there is a typo somewhere
2. allow you to scroll back to see older messages. Right now you have to use the console, which is not even scrollable and has all other kinds of information in between player messages
3. show if you are in global or team mode.. and possibly allow you to choose between global and team chat, because it's a nice comfort feature

It is like this: you press the global or team chat button, the window appears and has all of the above features. You exit it by sending a message or pressing ESC (like the current text chat non-window).
The two attached images show an example window after you pressed a text chat button, and what happened when you sent a message... I hope it's clear what I mean.

PS: I think text chat should be displayed a little longer than it is now, the display time is a bit short right now
PPS: If the Commander's text chat would not jut be yellow, but slightly bigger than the usual font size... ;)

PPPS: While we're there, a global voice chat option would be nice as well. Not sure if there is a technical restriction why it does not exist, because I can't see another reason :p

Comments

• AkimotoAkimoto Norway Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183642Members
    I agree. I also often experience not being able to write everything in one sentence.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have no understanding of how VOIP works, but I would really love a second voice channel for nearby teammates. Say, within 25 meters. That way I'm not cluttering up communications when I tell someone nearby to do or look out for something.

On a similar topic, it would be nice if the commanders voicecom muted or reduced the teammates voice's volume when he was speaking. This should be self explanatory.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Messages in chat are way too short.
    Draptor wrote: »
    I have no understanding of how VOIP works, but I would really love a second voice channel for nearby teammates. Say, within 25 meters. That way I'm not cluttering up communications when I tell someone nearby to do or look out for something.

On a similar topic, it would be nice if the commanders voicecom muted or reduced the teammates voice's volume when he was speaking. This should be self explanatory.

The game is too small for proximity voice chat. It's not worth the development time.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Probably, although I contend that in a game where 50% or more of the team has mics, it doesn't really matter how small the player count is. Unless you mean map size, where I think you're wrong. But, on the scale of things that need to be done, it admittedly isn't high on the list.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    About text chat suggestion:100% agree.Stuff like that should be standart in any game,it doesnt take a lot of work to implement i believe,but it's a really nice tool to have.

About global voice chat:If you mean Voice chat between aliens and marines,than no,just no...
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Madd0g wrote: »
    About global voice chat:If you mean Voice chat between aliens and marines,than no,just no...
    That's what I mean... I'm curious, why not?
    Is it important to have "voice chat, this guy is guaranteed to be on my team" mentality for ease of play?
    Or for atmosphere reasons? Imagining the teams communicate in their own languages?
    Are you worried it gets abused somehow? Maybe one could troll the enemy team by giving negative commands and hoping they won't notice and do it.
    You should be able to voice-brag if you killed someone's Onos egg IMHO :D, or some other nice stuff happened.
    It works well in all the other games.
  • MrLeeMrLee Join Date: 2005-05-16 Member: 51755Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Totally agree with the text window. Sometimes i have to open the console to re-read something that came by, wich i missed because of a firefight or something.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    The game is too small for proximity voice chat. It's not worth the development time.

Disagree with both statements.
    Game had ample room for local chat usage, in the constant situations where you are in a group. As for development, as a programmer, I realize implementation of features like VOIP can be done in a variety of fashions, but since I haven't looked at the code, I cannot say in full confidence it would be easy to add local chat, but unless they fucked things up bad, it should be a quick (and easy) addition.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, though, I'm not pulling it out of thin air, which seems to be a common trend on these forums.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    I think by small, they meant the development team, not the size of the map or number of players.

As for global voice chat - that would almost certainly be used more for annoying the other team than any other reason. Think about it, you're straining your ears to hear which door the skulks are moving towards, a scurry of activity is heard behind door A, but wait, there's a scrabble at vent B, and what's that? Oh, that's someone on the other team playing a really loud Miley Cyrus song.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    hozz wrote: »
    Madd0g wrote: »
    That's what I mean... I'm curious, why not?
    Is it important to have "voice chat, this guy is guaranteed to be on my team" mentality for ease of play?
    Or for atmosphere reasons? Imagining the teams communicate in their own languages?
    Are you worried it gets abused somehow? Maybe one could troll the enemy team by giving negative commands and hoping they won't notice and do it.
    You should be able to voice-brag if you killed someone's Onos egg IMHO :D, or some other nice stuff happened.
    It works well in all the other games.

It doesnt work well in any game that i have played lol.
    Trust me noting good would come out of it.
    The time for bragging and stuff like that is after the round is ended in the lobby.
    In a way the lobby is the only global voice chat we need.