Restructuring NA Division 1 (xpost from ensl)

2»

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    invTempest wrote: »
    You heard about it less than 8 hours after the decision was made.
    Yeah, because I stumbled upon this thread, you only bothered to contact us after you saw my post about it here. It's not about the timing, it's about the way I found out. But done is done.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    swalk wrote: »
    Yeah, because I stumbled upon this thread, you only bothered to contact us after you saw my post about it here. It's not about the timing, it's about the way I found out. But done is done.

Except the website was down yesterday and you were sleeping at the time so you found out via this forum post... I guess we should have sent word via carrier pigeon the moment we made the decision because we couldn't contact you via normal means?

The issue here is with timezones and nothing more, so don't get frustrated with me or anyone else on my team for "not bothering to contact ENSL" as you found out less than 8 hours after we decided. Not sure why you are getting upset over this....

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013

Except the website was down yesterday and you were sleeping at the time so you found out via this forum post... I guess we should have sent word via carrier pigeon the moment we made the decision because we couldn't contact you via normal means?

The issue here is with timezones and nothing more, so don't get frustrated with me or anyone else on my team for "not bothering to contact ENSL" as you found out less than 8 hours after we decided. Not sure why you are getting upset over this....
    You can send steam messages even if people are offline. Plus, I had my PC on this night and you are on my list. You could easily have sent me a message on steam. It's not like you didn't have any other ways of contacting me other than the ENSL page. I'm not upset about it, just a bit disappointed about the way I had to find out about it since we clearly expessed that you should contact admins if you're pulling out of the season. Instead you decided you post it in a random thread on these forums. But as I said, done is done and it is no big deal.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue

You can send steam messages even if people are offline. Plus, I had my PC on this night and you are on my list. You could easily have sent me a message on steam. It's not like you didn't have any other ways of contacting me other than the ENSL page. I'm not upset about it, just a bit disappointed about the way I had to find out about it since we clearly expessed that you should contact admins if you're pulling out of the season. Instead you decided you post it in a random thread on these forums. But as I said, done is done and it is no big deal.

If it isn't an issue why do you keep saying that it is?

I think you need to re-evaluate your expectations if you are causing this much drama over such a minor and insignificant thing. Your getting disappointed cause we dropped out, not that we didn't try to inform you about it.
    edited March 2013

If it isn't an issue why do you keep saying that it is?

I think you need to re-evaluate your expectations if you are causing this much drama over such a minor and insignificant thing. Your getting disappointed cause we dropped out, not that we didn't try to inform you about it.
    I'm not saying that it is not an issue. I'm saying that done is done and there is nothing that can change that and therefore is no big deal. I'm writing it because it was wrong of you, I am not here to cause any "drama" if that is what you think. I don't really care if you're playing or not, that is a choice you made and I respect that. I was disappointed because you didn't try to inform me about it, just like I'm disappointed about some other teams doing the same.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    4677.38 miles from sao paulo (most populated city in brazil, rio is 2nd and is about 100 miles farther away) to richmond, VA which I picked because Ns2servers.com has virginia available as a location. I think the east coast NSL servers are in New York, which is 4780.84 miles. Houston is 4906.78 miles away.
    3971.89 miles from berlin to new york
    3459.34 miles from london to new york
    3631.09 miles from paris to new york
    4672.27 from moscow to new york

Why should North American div 2 be half-full of teams that live farther away from us than the majority of the euros do?
    If my actions disappointed you then I am sorry but I didn't know that waiting till you were online would cause so much issue. Either way you would have known about this today regardless of if I had made the forum post or not as I would have contacted you once I was home (very much like how I messaged you on steam today, but received no response).

Having a team completely drop out without sending any word is one thing but getting disappointed cause you first heard out it via a forum post and didn't even give us any time to contact you is childish. It doesn't appear anything we would have done would have satisfied you in this case.
    edited March 2013
    If my actions disappointed you then I am sorry but I didn't know that waiting till you were online would cause so much issue. Either way you would have known about this today regardless of if I had made the forum post or not as I would have contacted you once I was home (very much like how I messaged you on steam today, but received no response).

Having a team completely drop out without sending any word is one thing but getting disappointed cause you first heard out it via a forum post and didn't even give us any time to contact you is childish. It doesn't appear anything we would have done would have satisfied you in this case.
    As I've told you once already, I've been online on steam so that is really not an excuse. And if I had been offline, you could still had messaged me. As I said several times now, it is no big issue, I don't know why you keep thinking that.

I didn't reply to you or Jona because I believe you only messaged me as a result of what I wrote here and I found it to be a "funny coincedence" and I was doing something else. However, that is just suspecion and I could be wrong. Not giving you any time? You had time to post here, yet you only contacted me via steam after I posted here, my assumptions are far from childish. Maybe unfair if they are not true, but hardly childish. I don't think we need to clutter up this thread any more, this is going nowhere. There is no way to solve it or prove anything anyway nor is it relevant to this thread.
    4677.38 miles from sao paulo (most populated city in brazil, rio is 2nd and is about 100 miles farther away) to richmond, VA which I picked because Ns2servers.com has virginia available as a location. I think the east coast NSL servers are in New York, which is 4780.84 miles. Houston is 4906.78 miles away.

Why should North American div 2 be half-full of teams that live farther away from us than the majority of the euros do?
    Timezones my friend.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013

Timezones my friend.

Pings, my friend.

is it not more fair for teams of lesser skill to have a chance to prove themselves against better teams on an even playing field than it is to have us play teams of equal skill level on an uneven field?

Not to mention that with how small the divisions are (if the petition that's going around is the route you're going to take, div 3 is only 5 teams) the Brazilians are only one team short of being able to make their own division. Div 2 has some skill gaps in it that are just as bad as the skill gaps in Div 1, and there are teams in the new Div 1 that have been beaten by teams in the new Div 2.

I understand the reasoning behind the restructuring, but if we're going to restructure it for a more even playing field, lets do it across the board and not just for the Div 1 guys.
    Swalk, please stop having unreal expectations.
    Not giving you any time? You had time to post here, yet you only contacted me via steam after I posted here, my assumptions are far from childish.

The *only* reason I made the comment on here was to stop people from including Inversion in their potential changes and not as a means to alert you or any ENSL admin that we were no longer playing. The simple fact is this - You were sleeping and the ENSL website was down at the time so of course we didn't contact you but that doesn't mean we didn't try as you are eluding to. You then happen to read this thread and get upset that we didn't contact you...

I messaged you after I read your response to my message on here which was about 10 minutes after I signed into steam only to be ignored. Instead of answering me you try to somehow say I was at fault without giving me or my team ample time to actually contact you and then you use the public forum to somehow pass the blame on me? Seems a little unrealistic don't you think?

The fact that you ignored both of us this morning thinking it was only a "funny coincidence" and only as a result of what your wrote is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "childish". You know nothing of the situation but yet you are getting disappointed because we didn't contact you personally??? To me this is extremely childish and shows that you have unreal expectations.

Swalk, please stop having unreal expectations.
    Not giving you any time? You had time to post here, yet you only contacted me via steam after I posted here, my assumptions are far from childish.

The *only* reason I made the comment on here was to stop people from including Inversion in their potential changes and not as a means to alert you or any ENSL admin that we were no longer playing. The simple fact is this - You were sleeping and the ENSL website was down at the time so of course we didn't contact you but that doesn't mean we didn't try as you are eluding to. You then happen to read this thread and get upset that we didn't contact you...

I messaged you after I read your response to my message on here which was about 10 minutes after I signed into steam only to be ignored. Instead of answering me you try to somehow say I was at fault without giving me or my team ample time to actually contact you and then you use the public forum to somehow pass the blame on me? Seems a little unrealistic don't you think?

The fact that you ignored both of us this morning thinking it was only a "funny coincidence" and only as a result of what your wrote is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "childish". You know nothing of the situation but yet you are getting disappointed because we didn't contact you personally??? To me this is extremely childish and shows that you have unreal expectations.
    The simple fact is - I was online, sleeping or not.
    I find it funny that you assume that I am upset about this, there is a difference between being disappointed and getting upset about something. It seems like you're upset about this being posted publicly though and then you degenerate into calling me "childish" for assuming that you both wrote me on steam because of my post here, like what? approx 10mins after I posted here? That did indeed seem like a funny coincidence but that wasn't the reason why I didn't awnser you. If it is an unreal to expect you to write: "hey, inv is folding for the season" on steam as soon as you knew it, with the season start being this close, then yeah. My expectations are overly unreal. But hey, at least you got to call me names as some kind of revenge.
    edited March 2013
    I know this is none of my business but isn't it typically considered to be rude to IM or call someone who is sleeping? I know it is here at least...
    edited March 2013

Timezones my friend.
    is it not more fair for teams of lesser skill to have a chance to prove themselves against better teams on an even playing field than it is to have us play teams of equal skill level on an uneven field?

Not to mention that with how small the divisions are (if the petition that's going around is the route you're going to take, div 3 is only 5 teams) the Brazilians are only one team short of being able to make their own division. Div 2 has some skill gaps in it that are just as bad as the skill gaps in Div 1, and there are teams in the new Div 1 that have been beaten by teams in the new Div 2.

I understand the reasoning behind the restructuring, but if we're going to restructure it for a more even playing field, lets do it across the board and not just for the Div 1 guys.
    I don't think you understand the reasoning behind it when you suggest that the brazillians should be playing for themselves. Teams are complaining that they are facing too strong teams and therefore seem to want the lower division sizes. The divisions are not based on pings, but on seedings. The brazillians even bothered playing seeding matches and qualified for their placement, unlike most of the new NA teams. I personally don't agree with the change, but it is not up to me. It's up to all of you, you're the ones playing it. We just gave you the choice, because of this thread.
    edited March 2013
    Oh, I didn't realize people were complaining about playing stronger teams. I thought it was the stronger teams complaining about playing the weaker ones. That people are complaining about getting a chance to play teams that are better than them blows my mind... what's the point of competition if you're only playing against people who are equal to you? How are you gonna get any better? o_O

Also, I think I may have used the wrong word when I said the brazilians could make their own division. I understand that they actually played seeding matches, and according to their skill level they would definitely belong in division 2 on that list. What I was trying to say is that at least according to the petition division 2 is 50% north american and 50% brazilian... that means 50% of the matches the north american div 2 teams are playing will be against people with 200+ ping, on servers that are so far away from where many of us actually are in north america that we're going to have ~100 ping. That's kind of a lot of lag going on... I'm in San Francisco, CA and I ping better to Frankfurt than most of the Brazilian players do to American servers.
    edited March 2013
    No it is unreal of you to expect us to drop everything we are doing to message you. I don't message people unless they are online and not away so it doesn't matter if you were still signed into steam or not. What difference does 10 hours make? For you apparently it makes a big difference.

Both Jona and myself messaged you when we came online but you already made your assumption that this was in response to your post so you decided not to respond to either of us.

You posted at 3 something in the morning my time and I messaged you almost 12 hours later - I don't see how this is "approx 10 minutes". Assumptions aside, you are still acting childish with your unreal expectations. You are blowing this out of the water and making it into something that it's not.

Revenge?? what are you smoking. This is about you having unreasonable expectations and getting disappointed because I made a post in the forums rather than leaving you a message when you were clearly sleeping (which I don't do).

Disappointed or not, you have to see how you're acting here and how small this issue is to even bring up in the first place, but that was your decision after all.

• sally_pantssally_pants Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183241Members
    So to get back on topic...

Kaneh wrote: »
    the skill gap isn't a result of the matches you play, its a result of dedication and willingness to practice and improve. it is completely unrelated to matches. there is nothing stopping lower div teams from scrimming and learning from higher div teams. i don't get why having larger divisions and forcing teams that have no real business playing each other is good for the scene. If a team wants to improve it will. Getting stomped, if anything, is more of a barrier for growing the scene.

I also do not understand your desire for an artificial size on divisions. any amateur league in any sport that i have ever come across groups teams based upon relative skill, not on an artificial size limit. It's not fun, it's not productive, it's not entertaining to watch, there is literally no reason other than some weird obsession with having even numbers.

This is a good point but we have a lack of NA teams who want to be div 1, those lower div 1 teams would rather be div 2.

I see merit in your argument regarding true competitive matches, but I am afraid that creating a "division 1" that consists of less than 6 teams would lead to a bubble in the already small NA community. But you're probably right in the fact that it would lead to more entertainment in spectating and among the teams.

I am not sure we have anyone in NA that can dethrone Nexzil. Even in the top division there will be a skill gap.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Honestly NA could use more teams, so I think we should keep the Brazil teams.
    Says the guy who wants the divisions restructured with no brazilians in his division
    edited March 2013
    Says the guy who wants the divisions restructured with no brazilians in his division

I didn't ask to restructure the divisions to get rid of the Brazilian teams. I restructured it for better competition. And I also recommended that Atrox be put in division 1, since inversion is not active. So if this change goes into affect, you too would benefit from this by not having to play any Brazilians. But I don't know which you would rather do, get stomped by division 1, or play in bad ping but have a chance to win.

The Brazilian teams are pretty talented IMO. This whole situation could be fixed with a Texas server. The Brazilians could probably ping <150 in one of those.
    Texas is actually farther away from them than new york is, and I know you didn't restructure them for that purpose lol i was just giving you shit.

I actually really like the brazillian teams, they're cool people and they're pretty good too, I just hate their high ping. I'd personally rather play against better teams and lose than play with a bunch of lag, but I think I might be one of the only ones xD
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sorry in advance for going off-topic. I just want to give you guys some insight into brazilian pings.

Here's a bunch of tests I did on pingtest.net. I live in the southern region of Brazil, more specifically in the city of Joinville, Santa Catarina.

Orlando, FL: 177±6 ms
    Austin, TX: 193±6 ms
    Dallas, TX: 186±6 ms
    Brooklyn, NY: 169±33 ms
    Chicago, IL: 174±9 ms
    Denver, CO: 190±9 ms
    San Francisco, CA: 215±8 ms
    Los Angeles, CA: 204±7 ms

and, just for the sake of comparison:

Florianópolis, Brazil (closest to me): 21±6 ms
    Frankfurt, Germany: 232±3 ms
    Newbury, Great Britain: 287±45 ms

(Packet loss tests failed because my Java plugin is outdated and I didn't bother to fix it.)

I remember pinging 130-140 in one of the US East ENSL servers before my ISP had issues with a broken optic fiber line somewhere. That should be fixed by now... I hope.

It's kinda sad to open the NS2 server browser in here. Only the Readyroom Brasil servers give us good pings (around 30-50), but they're usually empty. US East servers are like 180-230, US Central give around 200-250, US West and western EU servers are 250-300. Everything else is above 300.

CiB members sometimes use the net_lag command when practicing in brazilian servers to get used to the high latencies we face when playing leagues or scrims, since we figured the ping issue is pretty much impossible to solve.
    edited March 2013
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    Sorry in advance for going off-topic. I just want to give you guys some insight into brazilian pings.

Here's a bunch of tests I did on pingtest.net. I live in the southern region of Brazil, more specifically in the city of Joinville, Santa Catarina.

(Packet loss tests failed because my Java plugin is outdated and I didn't bother to fix it.)

I remember pinging 130-140 in one of the US East ENSL servers before my ISP had issues with a broken optic fiber line somewhere. That should be fixed by now... I hope.

It's kinda sad to open the NS2 server browser in here. Only the Readyroom Brasil servers give us good pings (around 30-50), but they're usually empty. US East servers are like 180-230, US Central give around 200-250, US West and western EU servers are 250-300. Everything else is above 300.

CiB members sometimes use the net_lag command when practicing in brazilian servers to get used to the high latencies we face when playing leagues or scrims, since we figured the ping issue is pretty much impossible to solve.

You guys might want to look into getting a server somewhere in Central America. A mexico or server in Cuba would give both US teams and Brazil teams decent pings.
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    xtcmen wrote: »
    StrikerX3 wrote: »

You guys might want to look into getting a server somewhere in Central America. A mexico or server in Cuba would give both US teams and Brazil teams decent pings.

Lol since when does cuba offer high powered servers?