I dont understand why the game logic is only coded in lua... Please tell me why.

2»

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you want a good example of the advantages of writing the game in LUA, watch this video:

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The old wisdom that interpreted languages are far slower than compiled code is no longer automatically true. Lua JIT has a reputation of being the fastest of other JIT using languages, with performance superior to C# and sometimes even coming close to C++.

There are also other factors to consider. While it's nice that languages like C offer you the ability to explicitly define where and how the memory is allocated, allowing the programmer to utilize his knowledge of the specific platform to achieve exceptional performance, modern languages like Lua or Java has garbage collectors that automatically free all unreferenced allocated memory, preventing the occurrence of memory leaks that plague so many C programs.

It's true that it's usually best to licence an existing engine, because one can hardly beat the optimization expertise of their developers, but it is possible that none of the available engines offered features that NS2 developers needed, leaving development of a proprietary engine as the only choice.

While the result so far does not compare all that favorably to existing games of similar scale and graphics, the developers can be hardly criticized for choosing Lua, as it is widely used among game developers.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited March 2013
    Zek wrote: »
    If you want a good example of the advantages of writing the game in LUA, watch this video:

Not really, you can do the same in unity with c#. That's mainly shader code anyway.

• CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    He was referring (I presume) to the ability to make changes in code and observe the results immediately. Interpreted languages like Lua let you do this, compiled languages like C# do not.

This can dramatically affect the efficiency of your development workflow, which in turn can dramatically improve the quality of your code and the time it takes to deliver a project.

By way of analogy - imagine making a digital painting, but rather than seeing what you were drawing, you had to draw blindly on your tablet and then wait a few minutes to see the results of your brushstrokes. Programming is a lot like that.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    If I could give you 5 awesomes ,Kamamura, i would. Most accurate post in here.

Just to clear some things up in this familiar thread:

Spark is written in C+.
    Natural selection 2 is technically a mod, written in LUA, sitting ontop of the Spark engine.
    Meaning all of the game logic is done in LUA, but the engine it runs on, such as it's rendering and networking etc, is all C+.

Plenty of games use LUA for scripting purposes, including recent ones like Crysis 3.

Just from past posts I can tell you that LUA was decided on for NS2 due to multiple factors, but mostly due to the restraint of a small staffed indie studio developing an engine from scratch for a game aiming to meet modern day PC gaming expectations.
    These restraints meant they needed something with: full control, (source had many restrictions that would have impeded their game designs) something that has fast iteration and implementation, and something that was modding friendly since they themselves came from a mod. LUA fit this criteria.

As for the performance topic: Like Kamamura mentioned, much more can still be gained. See these LUA to LUAJIT comparisons.
    While I cant speak to what's coming in the future without violating NDA, I can tell you that all the programmers on staff are currently focusing on optimization, as of this moment. :-D
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    While I cant speak to what's coming in the future without violating NDA, I can tell you that all the programmers on staff are currently focusing on optimization, as of this moment. :-D

Most. Exciting. Post. Ever.!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    See these LUA to LUAJIT comparisons.
    Kamamura wrote: »
    The old wisdom that interpreted languages are far slower than compiled code is no longer automatically true. Lua JIT has a reputation of being the fastest of other JIT using languages, with performance superior to C# and sometimes even coming close to C++.

But NS2 stopped using LUAJIT because of issues right? Unless there's a plan to re integrate it? ;;)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Luajit is a complicated thing. If it could increase performance is an open question. I would not expect too much for any development in that area that might or might not happen, but it is certainly an interesting idea worth exploring. Ns2 did use luajit at some point by the way(long time ago).
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    the lua part is only half the picture

it doesn't seem like the spark rendering is very optimized

like ideally you should be able to lower some settings and get boosts to framerate... but no can do
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    The only settings that really seem to have anything more than a marginal affect on the framerates:
    Ambient Occlusion
    Shadows

Everything else is minimal.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited March 2013
    Kamamura wrote: »
    The old wisdom that interpreted languages are far
    There are also other factors to consider. While it's nice that languages like C offer you the ability to explicitly define where and how the memory is allocated, allowing the programmer to utilize his knowledge of the specific platform to achieve exceptional performance, modern languages like Lua or Java has garbage collectors that automatically free all unreferenced allocated memory, preventing the occurrence of memory leaks that plague so many C programs.

This is a common misconception.

Garbage collectors can still have memory leaks. The most common method is reference counting, which works right up until memory is circularly referenced. Schemes that try and account for circularly referenced memory, generally have a lot of overhead. At this point one of the biggest thing that keeps languages like java and C# slower than C++ is the garbage collector constantly looking over your shoulder.
    lots more detail here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10577534/can-you-have-memory-leaks-with-a-garbage-collector

Generally speaking, there is no way to avoid memory management. It is a fundamental programming skill, and garbage collectors can only save you from the most simplistic memory allocation bugs. No matter what you do, when you start working on complex programming projects, you need to think about memory management, when things get allocated, and when things will be released.

Garbage collection is nice, but it is frequently waved about as a cure-all for memory related issues, and as an excuse for poorly architected code. They pretty much only save you from mistakes you'll stop making after you've been coding professionally for a year or two.

Also please don't imply that C is some how not a 'modern' language.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We agree, we're sorry, and we're doing our best to fix it.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    nSidia wrote: »
    in a real language like c# along side the lua.
    Rofl you want a "real" coding language and then you say c# ???

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited March 2013
    Spam is not wanted here. - Angelusz
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    SteveRock wrote: »
    We agree, we're sorry, and we're doing our best to fix it.
    Keep up the good work!

**closing topic**

This discussion has been closed.