Being able to choose which egg/IP you wish to spawn at

proteinstainproteinstain Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24349Members
I think this would be a useful feature. to many times i spawn at a hive furthest away from where im trying to go. Instead it auto chooses an egg regardless of whats going on in the game. Or even as marine when I want to spawn at another command station / IP i cant do anything about it. This may not seem like a big deal but I can promise you this small change can have a significant impact on the game play especially when ###### hits the fan.

Comments

• CsaeCsae Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172145Members
    Oh shi oh shi oh shi, i'm the egg in the doorway and they're coming. /Fcked.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    I believe shift eggs are set to spawn first, but it's hard to say. I think hives that are currently under attack are supposed to prioritize as the spawn point, but since good Marines tend to kill all the eggs <i>then</i> attack the hive I'm not sure it really matters.

Either way, I would definitely like to be able to choose where I spawn. I would <i>also</i> like the ability to choose upgrades while I'm dead, but I'm obviously not holding my breath on that one.
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1
    Sick of getting spawn camped, waiting another 12 seconds to get spawn camped again when I could of spawned and be munching on TSF's buns.
  • proteinstainproteinstain Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24349Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2049044:date=Dec 21 2012, 05:04 AM:name=jostol)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jostol @ Dec 21 2012, 05:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1
    Sick of getting spawn camped, waiting another 12 seconds to get spawn camped again when I could of spawned and be munching on TSF's buns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

exactly! its extremely frustrating/annoying.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    I vote with 2 hands for beeing able to choose spawn point.
    It really makes no sense to me why that was left out of such an awsome tactical shooter.
  • MrLeeMrLee Join Date: 2005-05-16 Member: 51755Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Quite like this. Allthough i would love to know the reasoning, from the developers, behind the logic as it is now.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    Hmm OP,can you maybe insert a poll?
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    Madd0g wrote: »
    Hmm OP,can you maybe insert a poll?

i dont see why this is OP, can you give your reasoning as to why this would be OP?
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Hive is under attack, spawn in the hive 20 seconds away...th-thanks spawn system.
    5 seconds left to spawn, random marine runs into hive and shoots your egg down...13 seconds left to spawn, I've sat in some alien hives for 30+ seconds and not seen a single spawn, I can only assume I lucked out shooting the right combo of eggs preventing anything from respawning, if the egg you're respawning to dies you should keep your respawn timer and go to another egg.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    roflmayonaise at shawke.
    +1 for egg choice kthx.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I think its absurd that it doesnt let you pick which egg to spawn in. Especially since it taunts you by flashing that press mouse2 bs on the screen. It was once a feature you know.
  • _jay_jay Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166951Members
    edited March 2013
    Being able to choose which where you spawn from would make it possible to mount decent a decent response.

Sometimes spawning at a different hive other than the one under attack is better, instead of hatching at the one under attack and being a sitting target on spawn with no upgrades.

I think this probably contributes a lot to the snowball effect, for example a train of marines/exos/arcs have taken down one hive and are moving to the next one. It doesn't help that your team is constantly dying so are unable to evolve and regroup to form a counter, for marines it's well announced when you're appearing on the IP.

There's shifts, but on the tres budget that an alien team on the backhand is on it's costly/involved process that makes this difficult.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Players use to be able to both choose your egg, and choose at what time you spawned once your egg was chosen (after the spawn timer). Likely that this option was removed to make egg spawning iterations simpler during the beta. I would want spawn location choices to become available again.

If a player doesn't wish to make this decision even if the situations would be better for it, than let it be automatically done for them as it is now.
  • NeuroPixelNeuroPixel Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154141Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed! Either choosing which egg or, at least, which hive to spawn at. Same with IPs.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    edited March 2013
    Yes this idea has come up several times, and I do agree with it.

It got shot down before because apparently the alien commander will lose the control to decide where players should spawn (when using a shift). Terrible excuse, but as with almost every idea posted there's always a lame excuse for not doing it. The main reason: cba.
  • overduboverdub Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183800Members
    Yeah i vote for this, awesome idea. I also want to be able to pick which phase gate i get sent to, its faster then running in and out of them.