Mic Issues

DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
Not sure if anyone else has this issue but when I first join a game my mic will not work, however if i go to sound options and change the input to something else then back to what it should be and hit apply it works. Had this happen since build 238 I think.

Comments

• BluPickleBluPickle Aix-En-Provence, France Join Date: 2013-02-07 Member: 182881Members
    Same for me and for my team mates. And for few others people I know
  • KioKio Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183501Members
    This also happens with me, it only started after the gorgeous update and is extremely annoying.

The other day I had a day off from work so I decided to spend my day doing something productive, playing Natural Selection 2. I enjoy playing the Alien Commander and have the abilities to pull it off quite succesfully with an average team, so I spent the majority of the time giving them commands, warning them about aliens in the base and telling them that yes, the carapace is coming now. (it wasn't, but they don't know that.)

Anyway, around 5 hours later and we have just started a game on the cave and I am yapping away on the microphone telling the team what bases they should take and that no, i was not going gorge tunnels fast when someone pipes up that my microphone isnt working..

I had been talking to myself for a whole 5 hours.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    i have unplugged and replugged my USB webcam that I use as a mic. That fixes it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Been happening since they added the audio device options.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    You only need to hit 'apply', you dont even need to change the device around or anything
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Don't even need to do that, just visit the sound tab and close it.
  • YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    Not even that, just open the menu and close again, i.e. hit Esc twice, and you're good to go.
    The solution is making the problem seem more and more ridiculous.
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    It'd be nice if the game defaulted to the windows default mic.

I unplug my mic sometimes and it resets the game to a different card. So basically every time I load the game I now check the mic settings (thanks for the volume indicator).
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    What type of mic are you guys using that you have this issue? Is it a headset, stand mic, webcam mic, etc.? Are you plugged directly into the sound card, or using a usb port? What kind of sound card are you using?
    Mine is plugged into the mic port on the front of my case, which is connected to the onboard sound controller on my motherboard.
  • rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    Does this issue still happen if you have your mic plugged directly to the sound card?
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    rws wrote: »
    What type of mic are you guys using that you have this issue? Is it a headset, stand mic, webcam mic, etc.? Are you plugged directly into the sound card, or using a usb port? What kind of sound card are you using?

A usb webcam.
  • VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    I just noticed this same thing after talking 2 hours some1 said my mic doesnt work. I have usb headset. I went to options see what settings there were and checked that they were fine, went back to the game and voila my mic is working lol.
    rws wrote: »
    Does this issue still happen if you have your mic plugged directly to the sound card?
    No.

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I'm using a mic direct to my sound card and I get this issue too.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Mic direct into sound card. No usb crap.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    The solution is making the problem seem more and more ridiculous.

Don't even need to do that just look at your esc button
    Ah yes the wonderful escape button, one press and your machine hangs for 6 seconds. What genius thought that gem up.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    If you have the mic issue, check this for me please...

Open up NS2, and go straight to OPTIONS and then click on SOUND. Tell me if at the top of that window you see OUTPUT DEVICE and INPUT DEVICE with 4 sliders and microphone level, or does your window have ONLY 3 sliders and no OUTPUT DEVICE and INPUT DEVICE options at the top.
    4 sliders and mic level
    I see both devices and 4 sliders
    Daveodeth wrote: »
    4 sliders and mic level
    Do you have OUTPUT DEVICE and INPUT DEVICE at the top too, or not?
    I see both devices and 4 sliders
    Can you look at this thread and tell me if you have the same server browser graphical issues?

I never had that problem with the server browser. I also seem to not have the mic issue any more either..... I just loaded up NS2 and went straight into a server and my mic was working without having to open the menu, don't know how it has fixed itself, but it seems to be working fine now.

The only thing I can think of is that I tried plugging my mic directly into the motherboard for a minute and then moved it back to it's usual socket on the front of my case yesterday, maybe that updated some setting somewhere and now NS2 can detect my mic on startup without having to launch the menu, or maybe I'm going insane. Previously people definitely couldn't hear me until I opened the menu, since they added the extra sound settings (build 238 I think).
    no issues with browser and yes I have the input output.