This last patch (after gorgeous) IS without a doubt, a SUCCESS. Movement feels crisp

2»

Comments

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I'm guessing Striker has a decent computer, I'd be curious as to what the specs of his computer are.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    The game is so much more fun again.
    And i dont mean just as alien,as a marine aswell :)
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    matso wrote: »
    Only the momentum ("feel-like-a-brick") bug was fixed. The improved hitreg is still there, as is the lower air control/acceleration. The latter changes are fairly subtle though - it's slightly harder to dodge, and marines have a slightly easier time to dodge you, as your acceleration is slightly lower.

This is going to be like the 5th time I'm saying this: the momentum bug was fixed on the ground, but now it happens on walls.

This is how it looked like on 239 (and 240):

This is how it looks in 241:

Keep a close eye on the speed bar and note that the speed immediately drops as soon as the skulk touches the wall on 241 (you can hear the landing sound).
    You can get some speed if you avoid touching the wall, or by dropping a high vertical distance and jumping off the wall.

In the second one you're still gaining speed in the last few walljumps. Probably wasn't getting the timing right on the other ones. Seems like they just fixed being able to accumulate ridiculous speeds easily through spam jumping walls like that - rather than attribute it to a 'bug' slowing you down on the walls. The second video shows that wall jumping is very much working toward the end, but didn't work the first time as you're either jumping too late or too early. Once you got the timing right you started gaining speed.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    It would be great to have a design objective or some commentary from whoever looks after the walljump code.

Up until 238 it's been very powerful but only because you can do it along the same wall. The per-jump boost isn't enough to jump to opposite walls and if it was, jumping alone the same wall would be a little bit op (which is what it was like at release).

I don't see it being used much but perhaps not because it's difficult, more than it's not explained anywhere well enough. Even with just a few jumps, it's fairly easy to go from 7->9 speed which is the same as celerity (?) and it works in combat.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    I'm guessing Striker has a decent computer, I'd be curious as to what the specs of his computer are.

i7-2600 @ 4.57 GHz 1.355V (cooled with Noctua NH-C14)
    16 GB DDR3-2000
    GTX 680
    OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

I recorded the video in 720p60, but YouTube converts it to 30 fps. The game was running at over 120 fps in that room while recording with OBS.
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    In the second one you're still gaining speed in the last few walljumps. Probably wasn't getting the timing right on the other ones. Seems like they just fixed being able to accumulate ridiculous speeds easily through spam jumping walls like that - rather than attribute it to a 'bug' slowing you down on the walls. The second video shows that wall jumping is very much working toward the end, but didn't work the first time as you're either jumping too late or too early. Once you got the timing right you started gaining speed.

I did gain some speed in the second one because of two things:
    - I was looking perfectly parallel to the wall instead of a little into it, so I wasn't immediately touching it after jumping which means only air friction is applied (pay attention to the skulk landing sound, you'll notice it doesn't occur as fast)
    - I was losing height every jump, which means I was gaining speed from the fall as opposed to the jump itself
    I did that intentionally, but I think it was a bit hard to notice. Pay attention to how I'm aiming relative to the wall.

In that video I demonstrated 4 attempts:
    1) (0:02 - 0:09) the same technique I did in 239
    2) (0:10 - 0:15) a variation of the above, looking parallel to the wall
    3) (0:17 - 0:20) dropping from a higher place to a lower place and trying to do a sharp turn off a wall (it was possible before because there was a small window with no friction)
    4) (0:25 - 0:30) again, a large drop, but this time jumping off the wall in another direction (to illustrate that you can actually get 11+ speeds if you avoid wall friction and sharp turns)

If I did the same thing on 239 I'd be getting ridiculous speeds. I got about 32 one time, and could consistently hit 20-25 and zoom from Cargo to Pipeline in about 15 seconds by connecting walljumps. I do agree it was excessive, but I never saw anyone hitting over 11 in an actual match.
    Desther wrote: »
    Up until 238 it's been very powerful but only because you can do it along the same wall. The per-jump boost isn't enough to jump to opposite walls and if it was, jumping alone the same wall would be a little bit op (which is what it was like at release).

You could do it in 239, and to some extent in 240 (if you avoided the ground). And you could get decent speeds (around 10-11) along the map by connecting walljumps.

In 241, even if you try to get speed that way by jumping into different walls, the friction is being applied immediately so you won't get much further than 9 unless you're dropping from a higher place.