Rapid Selection 2 - simple mod to help you learn

SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
If you're a new player and want to learn the tech tree on your own before getting out into the wild, try my mod. Everything is sped up a TON, so you can explore the tech tree quickly and go through the motions of building stuff without waiting around in "real time." See how quickly you can get double-minigun Exos!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131002972

Description:
This is meant to help you learn the game on your own. Anything that could be made faster was made WAY faster: build/research times, resource extraction, Alien evolving, infestation spreading, etc. etc. Also, Marines walk much faster and can sprint infinitely. This is all meant to make learning the game on your own easier and more practical. Create a server, turn on cheats (cheats 1), and hop in to com/kham. Then start building to your heart's delight. Exactly zero craps were given about balance and other things that are important for actual gameplay!

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I'm good myself, but anything that lets me sprint forever is good in my book :)
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice mod; that should help new players new their way around the tech tree a little but easier.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    isnt this mod the same as the autobuild cheat ?
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Gamerkatze wrote: »
    isnt this mod the same as the autobuild cheat ?

Not exactly, but it's the same in spirit. Some major diffs off the top of my head: infestation spread, Marine speed, and you actually have to go through all the motions (just without the waiting).
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Would be great if all of these things could be cheat-accessible in vanilla NS2. I see quite a bit of stuff that would help in solo-testing NS2.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Would be great if all of these things could be cheat-accessible in vanilla NS2. I see quite a bit of stuff that would help in solo-testing NS2.

Hmm that's an interesting thought...while doing "cheats 1" can hide bugs, if we had an alternate cheat, like "fastmode 1" that ONLY changes numbers, that could help PT'ing. I'll look into this...after my big push on performance :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Hmm that's an interesting thought...while doing "cheats 1" can hide bugs, if we had an alternate cheat, like "fastmode 1" that ONLY changes numbers, that could help PT'ing. I'll look into this...after my big push on performance :)
    Something like fastmode would be amazing, but there are workarounds to activate cheat-protected commands without running cheats the entire time. Specifically, you turn cheats on, add one bot to each side, turn on the cheat-protected command(s), then turn cheats off.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    The immense damage is irritating me.
    I installed and tested it, thinking it would help me check out how upgrades work in detail or simulate combat to teach greenies, but I found that the simple "alltech" console command suits my needs much better.