[Project] Taking initiative to boot and run the ns2 league: "NSL" at ensl.org

swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
Since the "Welcome to Squad Five" post say that Squad 5 awards must have a project post, I figured I'd post here to try and push for the first Squad 5 Gold award for the work I've done to help the game and the community.

About a year before release, I put up a thread about NS2 Gathers. Thanks to jiriki, this was opened up on ensl.org - and I was given Gather Admin status and admined the ensl gathers for about a year during the beta. I invited tons of people to take a part of it, and today I believe it's still the most used 6v6 gather system for NS2.

When the game was released, I started off all by myself announcing that the league was going to happen. Thankfully others quickly came offering to help out, so I'm not totally alone with this project. At this point I was promoted to League Admin.
One focus have been about the league being open to all comers, and making it as enjoyable for everyone as possible.
Another focus have been to push NS2 towards e-sports, to do this I've contacted/been contacted and communicated with several potential sponsors for the league, including UWE.

I've helped organize matches between teams, casters, referees, solved disputes and in general helping teams and ensuring a smooth progress on the league. Season 1 had around 80 teams contesting across 3 regionally split leagues, so there have been alot to do.
The first season just ended (18/11/12 - 20/01/13) and the signups for season 2 (10/03/13 - 12/05/13) are still up and running, and closing 1st of March.

The league is not the only contest being arranged, there are several cups already in motion, with the Custom map cup #1 being played this weekend (16/02/13 - 17/02/13) . And the NSL Invitational Qualifiers (23/02/13 - 24/02/13) already coming the weekend after, with the top 8 teams going into the 16-team Invitational Cup (02/03/13 - 03/03/13) the weekend after that. The NSL Invitational is in co-operation with UWE, and they have arranged the Grand Final (12/04/13) to be held in the ESL Studio in Cologne, Germany. And UWE put up a 5000$ prizepool combined with 2300$ worth of gaming gear from Logitech G-series.

I only expect this to grow from this point, and I've invested most of my spare time for over 1,5 years trying to grow and improve the competetive play around NS2 and continuing to do so. Now hoping this might be worth a Squad 5 Gold award.

Comments