Was Gorgeous a success?

Crumbling EgoCrumbling Ego Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164692Members
It's obviously a little bit early to call, but so far, would you say that it has been a success? Did it meet or exceed expectations, or did it fall short? I heard that it was expensive to make, has it turned a profit yet? I just want to know, i'm nosy like that.

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Absolutely. Tons of new players, top 20 sales on Steam, and the semi-finals on Twitch made it to 2,000 viewers last weekend!
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2013
    Here's a graph of concurrent NS2 players logged on steam:
    http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=4920&from=1360818000000&to=End+Time

The first two peaks are the previous two weekends which see peaks ~2000 +/-100. That last giant peak is due to the release of gorgeous, the tournament, and the 50% steam sale all weekend. At the very least it effectively doubled the concurrent population through a mixture of returning players and new players. Obviously this will drop off, but I think gorgeous will be effective at keeping NS2 over that 2k mark for at least a month. We'll see.

For comparison, the release weekend and following 1-2 after sat at 6-7k concurrent player peaks. The christmas sale saw a peak of 6500, but averaged peaks of around 4k.
    Link to concurrent player graph from release (~10/31/12) to today. About four months.
    http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=4920&from=1351483200000&to=End+Time

The game is ever improving, so hopefully these improvements increase player retention.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like this site better because it has much finer detail for playercounts (they probably poll steamstats more frequently): http://games.opensteamworks.org/Chart/View/4920

Peak weekend playercount of roughly 3800, so I think its a success. Only problem is it looks like they only store the last 4 weeks of data.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Maybe, but that doesn't mean ns2's not becoming more and more annoying to play.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Maybe, but that doesn't mean ns2's not becoming more and more annoying to play.

ehhhhhh i don't think it's so much becoming more annoying to play, but that it's always been annoying to play when the teams aren't skill balanced.

too much emphasis on unintuitive teamplay* is frustrating about 33% of the time (you're on the bad team), boring 33% of the time (you're on the good team) and 33% fun (both teams are closely matched).

the only way to reverse this frustration is to make comebacks more realistic. right now it seems hopeless to recover from 1 CS vs 3 hive, or 2 CS vs 1 hive. once a game slips into either category it turns into a boring/frustrating slog fest.

*especially the level of coordination required to kill fade/onos/exo/arc.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited March 2013
    Something is making people lose interest for sure.
    The game has enough going on it to foster a larger community Imo.
    Too daunting a game for the inexperienced?
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    Something is making people lose interest for sure.
    The game has enough going on it to foster a larger community Imo.
    Too daunting a game for the inexperienced?

I personally think the reason that people lose interest so quickly is just because gamer nowadays have so many options.
    There are so many genres of games out there that you can play.
    Some require less thinking and strategy and others have rpg elements to get you hooked on playing the game and etc.
    While I believe that NS2 should adopt some of these elements, like an achievement system with no in-game benefits, this does not make NS2 a bad game in any respect at all.
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    well shouldnt forget about calling performance issues/ netcode issues aswell. last game i have played intensive was CS:S and everytime i joined another game wich does not have a acceptable performance or an online suitable netcode makes me feels like "screw this". last game i bought so far was BF3 as i had an GTX 470 wich barely was able to run the game on 1280x720 / lowdetails with atleast decent fps.

anyways i sold that game + entire origin account because the netcode was pretty badly delayed/coded + lowdetails for high fps.

The end of the story actually is that gorgeous not exceeds my expectations about performance and VERY IMPORTANT netcode improvements. its still like u need 25 shots from the rifle to kill an skulk caused by a ~200-300 MS delay with a ping of 20.

also those very annoying bugs like that one on the skulks slowing them down while jumping n stuff .. not funny to watch any marine favoured NSL matches atm. cuz its all the same. dunno how others feels about what I wrote but for me the important thing for a good competitive game is the FPS + non delayed netcode.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Well, despite the inevitable blind lashback I will receive for saying this, I have to agree, the net code needs a rework, and I have been saying so since mid 2011, lol
    I guess it could be a hardware bottle neck given how cpu intensive the engine is. Time to revisit the code regardless though. Unless UWE is pulling an Uber
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You have to allow much more than 4-5 days for knowledge of how to use the new tech to propagate throughout the frequent-player-base to really judge an update based on its features.

And of course, any sale will bring new players to the game, and any patch containing "MOAR maps/weapons/guns/blah" will bring back old players who don't play as frequently, as the graphs show.

How do you define "a success?"
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Was this thread a success?
  • mechanicalDRmechanicalDR Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149019Members
    Railguns are awesome. Babblers are kinda useless? Gorge tunnels are AWESOME.

Balance like it's better off, but at the cost of making skulks feel slightly lamer.

I've logged over 200 hours of NS2. Just this patch I've started getting severe headaches around 45 minutes of play. I will usually play 3-4 hours in one sitting no problem.

Whyyyyyyyyy. I haven't changed any setting. Lerk and Skulk are my favorite lifeforms. For now I'm simply taking a break from NS2 for a bit.

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    change your fov setting, it most likely reset to the default.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The game made it to 11th in the top seller list... which I found disappointing tbh. I would have expected a similar hype as during the christmas sale. For some reason the 50% offer never shew on my store front page, while War of the Roses sat there all the time. The only way I could see it on offer was to directly go to its store page. Atm WarZ is selling more copies than NS2, which is beyond sad!

With all the new content and tweaks I would have expected more media coverage as well.

Was this thread a success?

Your dull and boring remarks are tiring. Please stop posting. What kind of person chooses Hitler as his avatar anyway? Even when he's taken from Persona 2.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Was this patch a success, well it depends on what this patch was aiming for. Yes sales went up but how much advertising went on to say how huge this patch was going to be. For example the rail gun video youtube.com/watch?v=q2CEVEhUKIk showed a duel rail gun, well that didn’t happen.

Yes there were a lot more players play since the patch came out but are those new players or just old ones hoping for a lot of new things. Aliens got nerfed all the way around save for the gorge butt-holes and the marines didn’t, in fact the mines got a huge increase.

I play both aliens and marines but like aliens since it’s just too easy for marines now.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    ...is frustrating about 33% of the time (you're on the bad team), boring 33% of the time (you're on the good team) and 33% fun (both teams are closely matched).

the only way to reverse this frustration is to make comebacks more realistic. right now it seems hopeless to recover from 1 CS vs 3 hive, or 2 CS vs 1 hive. once a game slips into either category it turns into a boring/frustrating slog fest.

I agree with that. But the only effective way I see this comebacks work, is with the implementation of some kind of upkeep. The more RTs you got, the smaller the reward should get. Don't get me wrong. When you have more RTs than the enemy, you should get more resources. But the differences in income should never be too big. Diminishing rewards in resources could weaken the snowballing that causes so many early concedes right now.

Sadly most people only see that as deserved rewards taken from them, instead of a way to make the game interesting even when not perfectly balanced teams fight each other.
  • norrectnorrect Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183737Members
    -I Loved the new map,
    -Liked a lot the new gorge tunnels, and have used them succesfully on games in witch they make a big difference,
    -the skulk stealth nerf is ok for me it actually makes the skulks less stupidly godlike dodgers :-),
    -The bablers, well I like the idea and they could be a lot of fun, but as they are now they are pretty much a usseles resource sink, their AI and speed are so bad that they rarely hit anything, hell when I am a marine and I see them I just ignore them lol.
    -The new Exo, Is great, the old one mini gun exo was pretty much useles, so changing it for the new one was a good choice, and it is also fun to play with and against it.

So overall for me the games has become more fun with all of the changes, even the skulk change :-).
  • NeuroPixelNeuroPixel Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154141Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    The game made it to 11th in the top seller list... which I found disappointing tbh. I would have expected a similar hype as during the christmas sale. For some reason the 50% offer never shew on my store front page, while War of the Roses sat there all the time. The only way I could see it on offer was to directly go to its store page. Atm WarZ is selling more copies than NS2, which is beyond sad!

With all the new content and tweaks I would have expected more media coverage as well.

I thought it was just my Steam client, NS2 looked odd showing full price in the Specials list while all the other games had between 50% to 75% off. This was on Sunday morning (GMT). Still it was good to see NS2 in the top 10 that weekend :)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Know pain wrote: »
    For example the rail gun video youtube.com/watch?v=q2CEVEhUKIk showed a duel rail gun, well that didn’t happen.
    You do know that the video you are linking was just someone from the community who took the released art assets for the railgun and made a mod, not a video put out by UWE? We never, ever announced a dual railgun for the game. I think anyone putting any thought into it would understand that a dual railgun would be stupidly OP in the current implementation of it.

--Cory
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    For example the rail gun video youtube.com/watch?v=q2CEVEhUKIk showed a duel rail gun, well that didn’t happen.
    You do know that the video you are linking was just someone from the community who took the released art assets for the railgun and made a mod, not a video put out by UWE? We never, ever announced a dual railgun for the game. I think anyone putting any thought into it would understand that a dual railgun would be stupidly OP in the current implementation of it.

--Cory

We could call it the "Onos Zapper 2000". ;)

And yes, I dare say Gorgeous is a success. A lot of features have been added, making it interesting for existing players and attracting a new crowd. Add to that the better balanced compared to the previous patch and we've got a success story.

Naturally, there's still more to be done, but I think it's a great patch.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Well currently the single rail gun is stupidly under powered.

Do the play testers actually test the game or just a very small portion of what their working on? If so that could explain how some serious bugs got through this patch. Maybe before the next patch the devs and play testers were to just play and average game and not look for something wrong, this way they might find something wrong.

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Squeal_Like_A_Pig:

If Duel Rails is too oppressive could we get Flame + Rail for the time being?

Honorable mention for 2 Fist Exo for 30 res as well
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Babblers are the biggest waste of dev time.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Squeal_Like_A_Pig:

If Duel Rails is too oppressive could we get Flame + Rail for the time being?

I know it does not fit into the style of the game but a melee EXO would be awesome. It could even get moves like grabbing a skulk out of mid air and splashing it against the wall...
  • HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    I think the update was a success. The game garnered a bunch of attention due to the sale and the update was pretty cool. Added some new flavor to the game, and the new map is one of the best NS2 maps so far imo (reminds me a little of how NS1 maps were designed).
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Well currently the single rail gun is stupidly under powered.

Do the play testers actually test the game or just a very small portion of what their working on? If so that could explain how some serious bugs got through this patch. Maybe before the next patch the devs and play testers were to just play and average game and not look for something wrong, this way they might find something wrong.

They're not stupidly underpowered and yes, we also play regular games. We go through all bugs that have been fixed first, to see if they're actually fixed. After that, a few games are played to see how the game works in general.

Try to be less negative.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The game made it to 11th in the top seller list... which I found disappointing tbh.
    I saw it peak at #8 on the top sellers list. Would have loved to see it at #1, but breaking the top 10 is still great for an Indie game.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited March 2013

Just imagine what that would be like in the Marine vs. Marine mod...

rock-em-sock-em.jpg

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope it was enough of a success to guarantee development for at least another year. This game really deserves the long lifespan. There's still so much potential in it.