Exosuit theory

thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
Since one doesn't exist AFAIK, what would constitute an exo centered marine build?

The obvious move is to never waste res on weapon upgrades. Base building could vary,but you want exos as soon as your players hit 50 res. Tech armor hard. I would secure a 2nd chair and IP at it ASAP, skip PGs unless we have the third tech point under control. As the team to do 1/3 rail, minigun and welders. Compliment exos with arcs since pushing into a room with an exo can be very dangerous. Have welders transition to dual exo as original exo die and become welder marines.

The goal is to use arcs to force the aliens to fight on your terms. Make them come at you when you have a distance and firepower advantage.

Back teching PGs is critical to help maintain offensive pressure. Ideally, PGs at the bases, an one right behind the main push. Recycle and move up as needed. You don't want to constantly beacon. Keep a PG as forward as possible.

Other assorted upgrades can take place any time after exos as needed. skulk harassment of RTS will be an issue once you start pushing soo many exo.

If you get base rushed by the whole team order exos into the hive to stomp eggs and kill the hive. Split tails off to stomp eggs at anoter hive if nearby. Beacon welders back TO THE OTHER BASE. Recycle everything at base under attack. You are trying a base trade on a 2:1 ratio. Plus even 1:1 marines recover from base trades better. Having macs would be good for existing and to debased at a destroyed hive.

Comments

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Also, this was thought up for 9v9 + games
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    thefonz wrote: »
    this was thought up for 9v9 + games

So in the game sizes that the game is unbalanced in
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    I like the build and i think it can be a lot of fun.
    However try telling to your marines that you are rushing to EXO and not getting them PGs,jetpacks,mines and upgrades first.
    Most of them would eject you or rage quit...
    ... Dont the stats tend to agree that higher player games approach 50/50 more closely. Furthermore, official servers are 9v9. at 6v6 I don't think this will work. I am not suggesting a comp strat. Gives up too much mobility, requires raw manpower to compensate.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually, I believe that most official servers are 8v8 (16 players). And afaik, the more players there are, the more marines should win.
    Well, my memory seems to be off. Bottom line, I thought of this at pub ish player levels. You sure UWE servers are 16?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    thefonz wrote: »
    Well, my memory seems to be off. Bottom line, I thought of this at pub ish player levels. You sure UWE servers are 16?

I guarantee it.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    I've been in one game where the comm did this, we didn't even get phase tech, we dominated the skulks earlygame and we could have won before the exos got done researching anyway. I think exos came out in about 8 mins and we had w0a2.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    Exo rushes work pretty well in pubs. You can get railgun exos by 6 minutes into the game with only 4 RTs - and you can have 10+ people (on larger servers) all get one.

That said, it works well to the same extent that any strat works when you ignore early phase tech. Rushing phase tech is probably the worst mistake marine commanders make. It's a massive investment that doesn't help your marines push any better (note: #1 problem marines have in pubs is offense), and the gains in holding bases with them is drastically overstated. For reference, if you delay phase gates, you can get the following (presuming 4 RTs held which is doable on almost any pub):

Exo tech researched at 6:00

Armor 3 + Shotguns at 6:30

Armor 2 + JP + Shotguns at 6:30

And yet, the majority of pubs people play in, they'll be stuck with the awful commander who gets 4-5 phase gates, and leaves his team with either no upgrades or just armor 1 at 8 minutes into the game. It's really sad, and was a major contributing factor to the screwed up W/L ratios last patch.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    You can just ignore everything @CommunistWithAGun says.

Even when he's right, he doesn't contribute anything worthwhile to a discussion.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    That's great and all but if you're on the map Mining at Operations, that base in Repair ain't going to repair itself if rushed. Can it be done? Yes, but I'd needs to have faith in the marines being able to hold decently for that to work. Now, you mentioned 4-5 phase gates. To me, if the marines don't have 4 bases that seems like it's more of a failure on the commanders part. 4 phase gates can link Nano, Subsector, Control and Pipeline together. That's the entire map.
    Vigilantia wrote: »
    That's great and all but if you're on the map Mining at Operations, that base in Repair ain't going to repair itself if rushed. Can it be done? Yes, but I'd needs to have faith in the marines being able to hold decently for that to work. Now, you mentioned 4-5 phase gates. To me, if the marines don't have 4 bases that seems like it's more of a failure on the commanders part. 4 phase gates can link Nano, Subsector, Control and Pipeline together. That's the entire map.

Actually I prefer to run this and the jp equivalent on mineshaft. I go for ops and repair. Put an ip at each, and an armory in central. When it goes well, you hold 6 RTS an serving a great position. You do need a marine at each base and everyone keep reinforcing central.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    At least with railguns in the mix, this strategy might be do-able in slightly more circumstances.

I've been in many games that were lost because of too many exos and not enough footsoldiers, though. Perhaps if you leave 1 exo + infantry behind at each base. But that takes 4 people out of the front line, so it'll have to be a quick and deadly strike. And exos are far from quick.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I've realized recently that one railgun exo can effectively egg lock one hive. He's fast enough to move to the egg as soon as it pops up. So as long as there's no static defenses or very much alive skulks running around, a couple guys focusing down a hive with the railgun focusing on the critters works rather well.

I think an exo at each base would only be necessary if the bases were under some very heavy attacks. Normally a couple guys as designated base hoppers during a rush can at least scare the enemy attack off with how quick the response is, depending on the size of the attack.

These assumptions also go more toward pubs than anything where the team has an idea of what they're doing.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    An exo-centered marine build is where you get exos fast.

This is not an RTS-only game, and even in RTS-only games you can't have a "build x, then y, then z" always, since the opponent can do different things.

It also depends on the map.