Add option to play alone with BOTS.

Alien_HallsAlien_Halls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183532Members
Add Single Player mode, and that mode contained BOTS, the player, decide the map and the difficulty of the game. There he could play the game normally, but with BOTS rather than their REAL PLAYERS. This idea is good for anyone who does not have a good internet (like me) and the game keeps crashing in online mode.

I still can not understand why a game so wonderful, do not have that ability to play alone with BOTS.

I am Brazilian and my English was bad?, If I was sorry.

Comments

• pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    AI is a very complicated thing to program. Having to make and debug AI players for each life-form, weapon, protolab tech, and commander would likely take months, if not years of dedicated development. Having them learn each map, including future community / official maps would be another challenging hurdle. UWE is a relatively small game studio, and I think their time is better spent on balance, performance, and (occasionally) content like Gorgeous.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    My question is, if your internet is so bad why are you purchasing online games only???
  • Alien_HallsAlien_Halls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183532Members
    SeeVee wrote: »
    My question is, if your internet is so bad why are you purchasing online games only???

My internet is bad, but occasionally it gets better so I can play,
    Do not really like to play online and I also did not know that the game was only MultiPlayer.

Well the game is constantly updating, why not add a singleplayer mode?, Natural Selection 2 is a good game and if not launch a new NS3, they might well be adding this system Singleplayer with time or are producing the NS3, adding a way that there Singleplayer ..
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    It would take a lot of time and resources to program bot AI into the game. Until the game gets to a well balanced state (hopefully soon) maybe UWE will undertake such a feat... or they may not.

time will tell, but I hope your internet connection gets better. I hate crappy internet speeds/connectivity.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    The best bots in any game ever is in Unreal Tournament. And they still suck compared to humans.

Bots in NS2 will be a development nightmare, without a doubt.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    While I agree that some sort of campaign-like mission/into/tutorial with AI would be both interesting and useful, I can't see it being very high on the priorities list right now.

Maybe once the devs make everything perfect and get bored, they could work on something to that effect.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    Bots would be awsome for training purposes.
    However a lot of work goes into making AIs so their resourses might be better focused elsewhere.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    1. even the best game AI is stupid and doesn't accurately simulate player behaviour. there is no better alternative to playing online with other players.

2. you can spawn bots in explore mode with addbots command (i think cheats need to be enabled). but they're only dummy AI (they don't move) useful for testing damage/effects.

3. AI dramatically harms game performance (spawning 3 x dummy bots decreases my fps by about 50%).

• Yautja_cetanuYautja_cetanu Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58428Members, Constellation
    Yes, bots is something that really should be done by modders. Its quite a fun thing to do if there are any people willing to take up the challenge. Maybe UWE could create some basic bots and allow people to expand it more with mods?

the AI in SC2 is quite cool but definitely not life-like. Just very good for training.
  • paologerochipaologerochi Join Date: 2010-04-25 Member: 71534Members
    edited March 2013
    pendelum5 wrote: »
    AI is a very complicated thing to program. Having to make and debug AI players for each life-form, weapon, protolab tech, and commander would likely take months, if not years of dedicated development. Having them learn each map, including future community / official maps would be another challenging hurdle. UWE is a relatively small game studio, and I think their time is better spent on balance, performance, and (occasionally) content like Gorgeous.
    AI commanders are not really needed, because human players would be suffient as commanders.. :\
    We only want an AI that could do even the most basic things, like Shooting/Attacking, Repairing, Moving, Jumping, Following orders, and etc.. just even basic movements would do. NS2 really needs bot support, some people do not have good internet connection like me.

UWE devs already made a simple AI spawning but they don't do anything at all.
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    1. even the best game AI is stupid and doesn't accurately simulate player behaviour. there is no better alternative to playing online with other players.

2. you can spawn bots in explore mode with addbots command (i think cheats need to be enabled). but they're only dummy AI (they don't move) useful for testing damage/effects.

3. AI dramatically harms game performance (spawning 3 x dummy bots decreases my fps by about 50%).
    1. Well, dude, not all people have good internet connection like you... and AI bots is just for basic training.

2. Use this AI bots ---> https://github.com/Borsty/NS2Bot this only works with build 239 and below... this bots was awesome until build 240 came up... :(

3. Actually, it really does decrease the game's performance because you spawned bot to your game client, but if you use the dedicated server to spawn bots they won't even affect the game even a bit. I even spawned 15 bots and played with my friends through LAN.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    SeeVee wrote: »

My internet is bad, but occasionally it gets better so I can play,
    Do not really like to play online and I also did not know that the game was only MultiPlayer.

Well the game is constantly updating, why not add a singleplayer mode?, Natural Selection 2 is a good game and if not launch a new NS3, they might well be adding this system Singleplayer with time or are producing the NS3, adding a way that there Singleplayer ..

That's not a fault of Unknown worlds, if you checked the details tab in steam before you bought, there is no 'singleplayer'. if there is no 'singleplayer' line, it is only multiplayer.
    Coding AI is very dificult, and in a game like ns2, very dificulter.