Head bite.

Uh-OhUh-Oh Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6917Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
When an alien gets shot anywhere on it's body (head, torso, wing, feet), the same damage is applied. Damage versus aliens is constant.
Marines suffer varying amounts of damage depending on the "precision" of the blow (glancing, medium and full).

It makes no sense to me, that a skulk bite would deal 25 damage when said bite lands squarely between the eyes of a marine, instead of the 75 that a fully centered body bite does.

This is probably due to some technical requirement, that decides that a "good" hit is one that lands close to the center of the model. But no matter what causes these head bites to amount to little more than inconveniences for the receiving marine, it makes little sense from my perspective.

It is very frustrating and disappointing to prepare the perfect ambush, drop from the ceiling to bite the marine on the way down, landing your teeth on the skull, to only get a glancing blow as a reward.
All that patience, preparation and aiming is for naught!

Another common scenario is when you leap skillfully through the air, biting the marine mid-leap, precisely on the smug marine's face, to get a big fat glancing blow.

It does as little damage as partialy biting the foot of a marine. It makes no sense, and is no way to reward a players skill.
I'm not saying it should do more damage than a full hit, but it sure as heck should be as painful to the marine as a body blow.

Anyways, just my two cents, but every time I get a 25dmg headmunch, I wanna snap.

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are under the impression that glancing bites operate based on the hits distance from the marine's "centre mass", and since the head is such a great distance from the centre mass, it results in a glancing bite.

Glancing bites operate based on the angle of the arc in which the hit was, from the perspective of the skulk. Looking directly at a marine's head and biting will result in a full damage bite. Just as looking slightly to the right of the marines torso and biting will result in a glancing bite.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    And the distance to the enemy also plays a role in whether or not it's a glancing bite.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
  • Uh-OhUh-Oh Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6917Members
    Alright, I'll do some testing, but I'm positive I got 25 dmg bites for some spot on head crunching attacks
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter

a good video showing glancing blows and damage.