Server browser needs COUNTRY FILTER

»Comrade«»Comrade« Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169419Members
As title suggests

So I can filter out all the french servers :D

On a serious note though, it needs to be added. Europe is a multitude of different languages. Whilst English is more spoken everywhere, some servers refuse to speak or communicate in English (... french servers in particular)

That's fine and its within their rights etc but some servers do not specify e.g french speaking only etc or have a language tag in their name.

So country filter ? yes or no... add your comments here.

Comments

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • poloqpoloq Join Date: 2005-07-28 Member: 56990Members
    Would be very convenient. However I've been on several french servers where english is ok to speak and write, although there are also many that speak only french so that means team cohesion isn't as great. The only thing I won't do on french servers is be comm, even though I've actually done it once :P
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, not a bad idea, i'll mention it on the dev's chat... even if you could filter a little by server name, so you could search for "fr" it might help

Edit: mentioned...
  • »Comrade«»Comrade« Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169419Members
    What did the devs say?
    French servers need to be removed from my server listing.
    Please. :D
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    and i want less chineases on my monash! they don't undermestand my commands! not that i hate chineases. i love the ones i can understand easily.

Language barriers suck.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Add a history tab while they add a county tag/filter
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Agreed, it is needed.

I get people joining my server saying "this server is laggy" while their ping is 300+ and then when I run their IP they are in England or Germany. Meanwhile everyone else is in green double digits for latency.

The server says *EAST COAST USA* in the damn title yet they still join.
  • Flash8798Flash8798 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182814Members
    edited March 2013
    In all honesty, the server browser needs some revamping plain-in-general, such as a playerlisting, as well as a country of server origin marker such as a flag before the server title. The old Steam interface of all Half Life mods comes to mind with a few tabs, as well as a more advanced filtering system for the servers that appear, such as maps or above a certain player count, like how DayZCommander's interface has on the left side.

It'd be easier to continue in bullet form, however:

(Performance)
    - More responsive User Interface for the Server Browser, or the Main Menu/Options choices in general. I believe the devs may have this in mind for a future build, but I'm putting this up there for redundancy's sake.

(Features)
    - A "Quick" Refresh server button, which simply rechecks server latency ratings and player count for all servers within the current list, without adding or subtracting (unless the server itself shuts down) from the current list. I am aware that this is done individually by clicking the server name, but I am outlining a button that does this in a branching manner for every listed server, without having to re-check and re-load every server currently running. This would surely improve performance as well.

- Player Listing, so that you can check who's currently playing in a server, along with their current score and their individual latency rates, akin to the browser feature sported by most online Half Life;HL:S-mod oriented browsers.

- Ability to Favorite Servers you are currently playing on, rather than finding the server again on the server list. This may best be implemented in the Tab Scoreboard within the game next to the server name at the top of the screen.

- Advanced Filtering Options:
    A. Player Count / Server Player Limit (ie. --/16;--/20;etc., current players), in addition to the current "Server Full/Empty" options. Servers would be listed by only showing those above a certain player count selected in the filter options.
    B. Map Filtering, whereas the server browser will only display servers running the map chosen, for players who are having a craving for a certain layout.
    C. Country or Region, in addition to the Latency Slider already implemented.
    D. Tabbed Interface to allow for better filtering of Favorited Servers, Historical or Last-Played Servers, or servers your friends are playing on currently.

- E. Modded servers, with better filtering options to better differentiate between servers that are combat/deathmatch-oriented, or simply those that are running unofficial maps, to ones that enable the use of certain Workshop Mods/Features such as map-icon improvements or a more reactive hive-sight ability for the aliens. Hopefully in addition to these, a listing of what mods a server has enabled could be available from a menu by right-clicking a server in the browser, so that one may find what mods they are missing/are inactive, that they need to implement to be able to play on the server rather than get an error "Client and Server Differ/Server Mods not downloaded" message. May also help promote mods that aren't entirely popular yet in the workshop, and allow for better player preference in looking for a server running a certain mod they want to try out in a public play game.

___

If I think of any more I may come back to edit this post, but at the moment I feel I have sufficiently made my case.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Totally agree with this, i hate non English speaking servers (i'm in UK), i actively avoid [FR] french servers simply because the commanders always speak in French.
  • atLaNNatLaNN Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30327Members, Constellation
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Totally agree with this, i hate non English speaking servers (i'm in UK), i actively avoid [FR] french servers simply because the commanders always speak in French.

Well yeah, do you expect any server to speak only english ?

Thats the same for french people who don't speak english, they avoid US/UK servers an play on FR, hence why they don't speak english.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    They can see the ping of the server before they join it. A country filter may actually make things worse. I have seen people in Europe ping to my east cost server at the same rate or lower than some servers local to them.

As for language this is why servers that are non English usually have a tag in their name like FR stating that they are non English. I have had French on my servers but before they commanded they asked if they could speak in french or if any players needed English. So even the french know that on non labeled servers they will likely need to use English.