Spectator toggle -server side

SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
UWE,

Would it be possible to add in a command for server admins to shut of spectator mode on the server? Sometimes I see people leave their team when losing and just go spectate until round is over. I'd rather people just leave the server and open up a slot for a person who wants to play the game until the end.

I'm tired of these early quitting team deserters.

Any other admins and players out there like this idea?

Comments

• Flash8798Flash8798 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182814Members
    edited March 2013
    While I disagree with this for a key reason, I don't see why a server operator shouldn't be allowed to disable a feature on their own bought and paid for server due to personal tastes, so for that and that alone I agree this is a feature that should be alloted towards server operators.

However, most of the people you titled as "team deserters" could also be relatively new or green to game mechanics less so than the average player, and with the new onset of First Person Spectating, it allows such players access to learn how better players perform their winning strategies. In time, these team deserters would become better at the game and these 'epic loss' situations would become less frequent. Keep in mind the 240 Build was released a couple of days ago, and there are people still having trouble with adjusting to balancing issues, though I am aware of these spectating players coming about in the weeks before the build was implemented as well, so it isn't a problem that just goes away entirely; simply stated, it will just become less and less frequent.

In summation, the players watching over the game feel generally better than if they just had been pounded into the ground and ended up rage quitting entirely (which I've seen kill servers before, which is never a good thing), rather than wait out for the next round after gathering some useful tips by watching other, more seasoned players, carry out the ending stages of the round. That's just my two-sense.

P.S.: Server admins also have the ability to kick players from the server who are clogging up spec-spaces in fuller servers, though the ones I've seen usually ask the spectating player to join the game before any such action is carried out. While not shooting down your idea in any case, this is a viable work-around that I felt other server administrators may find useful until a decision is made on your suggestion.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    in the past I have moved the spec to the team that is down a player slot. However, I play the game and babysitting at that time is pushed aside as the mission of my team takes focus.

I'd even accept a time limit on spectating and then have them auto moved to the team needing another player.

I understand what you are saying but as time goes on and people know how to play this title. it really just wastes player slots.

I'd like to see them implement what other titles have done. For instance UT2004 and UT3 I believe you can set how many people can spectate on the server at any given time and it does not take away from the player slots.

An alternative method also used in the UT games and in half life 2 is a TV-type server instance. Where people can watch the match in spec view on a totally separate server that is replicating with the one the game is being played on... Which I would find to be the ideal situation.