Descent is brilliant - Now Refinery really "shines" through as being dull

intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Was looking through descent and it's quite awesome. All of the areas are memorable and that makes it both fun and easy to navigate around.
Before Gorgeous I thought Refinery was boring and now after seeing descent it's even more evidence how pants it is. The map is very samey and there aren't really any locations (apart from middle) that are so memorable... perhaps it could do with being revamped somewhat? Just to make particular areas more memorable :P

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I think you mean refinery. Just a guess, though.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    Haha sorry yes... Refinery, edited :P Not sure why I knew it as Furnace
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    Yeah... Refinery's a bit janky, I hope it gets an overhaul like Docking did.

It's far too open, especially now with Railgun exos, all of those huge open rooms (containment, pipeworks, lava falls, extraction, smelting) are just killzones for aliens...
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    it's been improved magnificently since release...

i'm not a fan though. the layout of the northern side is too confusing with too many boring zig-zag corridors and confusing vents. also lava falls feels like an empty warehouse, too much wasted space - might be improved with a lower ceiling (providing easier cover for skulks getting to the rafters/pipes).

the re-modelling at smelting/transit(?) with those moving buckets is really nice though.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not sure what to say other than that I disagree, Refinery is quite memorable. The maps I find least memorable are Tram and Summit.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2013
    It still has some very interesting play and it did have some changes in the patch. Lerks are still powerful in lava falls and pipeworks despite the changes (addition of spike trails and railguns). They're just not quite so punishingly brutal and have to make an effort to reposition and play better in general.

It is a bit dull visually but I don't really mind it being the "depressing" industrial map. It maintains a very different feel from the other maps in that way.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Yes it is the best part of the patch. I really did not except them to do it that well. Very nice job on the mappers, artist and designer's part you are a beacon beyond words. A shame the performance and balance overshadows the greatness of descent on these forums. The map has everything tbh. Nice interior design such as the window placement and the see through floors, every room is unique and changes it makes me feel like I am actually in a complex station and the props outside of the station that move look good as well. Not to mention the rotating ring around the planet and the vent designs as well as plaza having different levels to it. I sort of wish plaza had the second level a bit more expanded but with the com view I can see how it can become a problem but it really felt different and unique. I love all of it.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    edited March 2013
    Not really talking about the layout or playability of the map but more that none of the rooms are memorable. I've played Refinery maybe about 20 times and only spectated descent yesterday but can name many more rooms of Descent than I can of Refinery.

I know that in Refinery there's the.... middle lava bit, and Marine spawn with the broken window.

I know in Descent there's the space-looking see through floor room, gravity room, disco, mall area outside it, crashed train, turbine room, red employee quarter area etc.

I've only spectated around Descent and I can remember many of the rooms as they're very unique and interesting. Refinery seems to just be.... A room with pipes, a room with pipes, a room with pipes. There's nothing interesting or memorable about any of the rooms.

I think how easy a map is to navigate around is similar to the tests you do on websites where you ask the user to view it for 5 seconds and then ask the user to tell you what they took from that 5 seconds. If a map has an interesting element in each of the areas then it's easy to navigate and fun.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think dull might be an okay word for the lack of uniqueness in the the rooms - but, crap? The thing is, refinery is a big refinery, so its pretty hard to get a unique theme going along with each room. Descent is a space station, which means every room is going to have its own theme by definition.
    intellix wrote: »
    Not really talking about the layout or playability of the map but more that none of the rooms are memorable. I've played Refinery maybe about 20 times and only spectated descent yesterday but can name many more rooms of Descent than I can of Refinery.

I know that in Refinery there's the.... middle lava bit, and Marine spawn with the broken window.

I know in Descent there's the space-looking see through floor room, gravity room, disco, mall area outside it, crashed train, turbine room, red employee quarter area etc.

I've only spectated around Descent and I can remember many of the rooms as they're very unique and interesting. Refinery seems to just be.... A room with pipes, a room with pipes, a room with pipes. There's nothing interesting or memorable about any of the rooms.

This probably doesn't help my point but refinery does have the rather uniquely named room "Empty Space." I had a game yesterday where a rather frustrated commander was yelling at a rookie to "get his stupid ass to empty space," which the rookie interpreted to mean that the commander wanted him to bugger off out the air lock. Hooray for crisis intervention! Everyone had a laugh afterwards.

There's a few rooms that could use some sprucing up, but the, well, falls of lava in "Lava Falls" and the giant animated vats of molten metal in "Smelting" are pretty memorable for me. I wouldn't say that it's totally devoid of interesting stuff; there's actually quite a lot of neat stuff if you look around.

One big thing I will agree with, though, is that if you're playing with bloom and/or atmospherics enabled you're going to have a hell of a time seeing anything on refinery and I'd recommend playing without them at least on that map (personally I play with most of my settings fairly low but my systems is almost four years old now).
    edited March 2013
    Shaker wrote: »
    I think dull might be an okay word for the lack of uniqueness in the the rooms - but, crap? The thing is, refinery is a big refinery, so its pretty hard to get a unique theme going along with each room. Descent is a space station, which means every room is going to have its own theme by definition.

yeah but there could be some more catwalks or something at least... no offense to the mapper but some rooms (especially lavafalls) are very clearly lacking detail and atmosphere compared to the other maps. lavafalls kinda feels like a classic quake map or something.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    While Descent is quite a beautiful map with a number of iconic locations, I've still found parts of it quite difficult to navigate. There's little flow between rooms in the middle of the map. When you're speeding through the map as an escaping celerity lerk, it's hard to intuitively know - from the lighting, layout and geometry of the room - whether you need to turn left or right to get to the exit that will lead you back to the hive.
    Mouse wrote: »
    While Descent is quite a beautiful map with a number of iconic locations, I've still found parts of it quite difficult to navigate. There's little flow between rooms in the middle of the map. When you're speeding through the map as an escaping celerity lerk, it's hard to intuitively know - from the lighting, layout and geometry of the room - whether you need to turn left or right to get to the exit that will lead you back to the hive.

i think the area you're referring to is called 'rabbit warren'. :p
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I think Refinery is far from "crap". Its architecture is solid in my opinion, its the lightning I don't like. Smelting, conduit, routing to a certain degree, and transit are all fine in my eyes. The lightning there is moody and dynamic, with a couple of different colours. The rest of the map, however, feels like it is all on full bright. It really detracts from the architecture when its all shown in such a monotone shade.

As for descent, no doubt it is a beautiful map, but some parts erk me. I'm all for multi level architecture making an appearance in NS2, but at least make it functional. That area above the escalator in plaza, and those catwalks in that water processing type room. Why are they even there? I have never had a practical reason to go there. I can't see why anyone would want to. The commander can't see them, so you can't build up there. They needlessly complicate the map in my opinion.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I like refinery and I think it plays fairly well still. The random spawns have made it lot's more interesting too.

I have not spent enough time in Descent to judge yet. But it's a big map with a lot of detail. I'm sure a lot of hard work went in to it.
    I did notice there are a lot of onos trollolol places for jetpackers to menace onii though. All those multilevel bits...
  • JonacrabJonacrab Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18705Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    As for descent, no doubt it is a beautiful map, but some parts erk me. I'm all for multi level architecture making an appearance in NS2, but at least make it functional. That area above the escalator in plaza, and those catwalks in that water processing type room. Why are they even there? I have never had a practical reason to go there. I can't see why anyone would want to. The commander can't see them, so you can't build up there. They needlessly complicate the map in my opinion.

The multilevel bits of descent were always sort of an experiment to see what could feasibly work in a map. Ultimately plaza didnt originally have the glass windows up top... they were placed there after determining through multiple layouts in that area, that allowing such easy access up there was just too overpowered and so eventually it was demoted to just a novelty area. If these areas were more viable for gameplay, they would have been more prominently accessible
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Refinery and mineshaft feel too open for aliens with very little coverage. Those long hallways on refinery are always a death trap for skulks despite how much you move around :(

I think if the wide open areas were fixed; it would be a better map.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Considering its a refinery... it looks good to me.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I like Refinery. (shrug) While there are a couple spots I'm not a fan of (I still think the path from smelting to flow control is too long) what I think would help balance out this map would be to flip it upside down and put a res node in Heatsink. Start marines in containment/turbine and have aliens start in smelting/flow control.

Only small things I'd like to see changed would be to have a power node at falls approach for the other res node, and to have more aerial hazards at Lava Falls.
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    I mean, the early map design sure isn't as pretty as the new map design, but wasn't that really to be expected? Ok, refinery isn't that old but my point stands.

My guess is that more of the older maps will get facelifts at some point, especially ones where the layout is still a bit in flux.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    intellix wrote: »
    Was looking through descent and it's quite awesome. All of the areas are memorable and that makes it both fun and easy to navigate around.
    Before Gorgeous I thought Refinery was boring and now after seeing descent it's even more evidence how pants it is. The map is very samey and there aren't really any locations (apart from middle) that are so memorable... perhaps it could do with being revamped somewhat? Just to make particular areas more memorable :P

Nope. Descent isn't very good, it's a try-hard map designed to be pretty and showy. The important factor- how it plays- is rather low. I rate it lower than Mineshaft. It's too large, winding, confusing, and claustrophobic.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    In general I think the industrial maps could benefit from having bifurcated styles. A clean bright style for areas that are primarily intended to be used by humans and the current grittiness for everything else. It would make them seem much more real.

For instance, flow control and the surrounding areas could have a completely different clean style from the rest of the map and it would really improve the ambiance of the whole thing due to the contrast. Imagine the impact of walking from an ordinary looking office out into lava falls for the first time. That would be a goosebumps moment. The Chasm -> Turbine area could also really use a makeover with a stronger theme. Right now it has a bit of a feel of random boxes, and the chasm itself never enters into the gameplay. If you actually go sit as a skulk on the other side of the chasm, it's really pretty, but there's never a reason to do that during the game. Maybe a vent from turbine should follow a catwalk on that side?

Tram in particular would benefit from having a totally different style of lighting for the central tram tunnel. It's a really cool and clever piece of architecture with how it works so well with the layout, but the cleverness disappears because it looks identical to everything else in the map, so you aren't really aware while playing that this is a big structure with common architecture. If it had a really distinct and unique theme, this map would really come into it's own. Right now it's in a nice place where it plays really well and has a lot of great arenas, but it's so uniform that it blurs into a mass of blue and red polygons, despite the fact that the geometry is really good and interesting.

Also, dude, this is how you give map feedback, not calling things "crap."
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Hm, now Hugh said it before me, but I'd like to add:

Awesome job intellix! Months of creative and technical work on this map and you call it crap just like that! You are the man.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I personally dislike refinery from a gameplay perspective, but there's nothing wrong with it's aesthetics and art assets.

What I do wonder, however, what is the purpose of the giant moving smelting pots in transit and smelting. Having them move sure looks and sounds cool, but they having a buggy collision quickly breaks the impression and immersion, at least for me. As of now they don't serve a gameplay purpose, as they're mostly just confusing and annoying to navigate through, and their aesthetic purpose suffers from the same bugginess. Being stationary (as they were before) would, in my opinion, accomplish both gameplay and aesthetic goals without breaking the immersion.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the grungy artset. I think the clean biodome artset is a lot nicer. Not in quality, but I can distinguish between things better.

I think the thing that is clear, is that large open spaces really don't add to this game too well. The most popular maps tend to have small - medium spaces.

Personally I think corridor/vent style maps suit this game a lot better. Why fight it? It allows for marines and aliens to play off against each other more effectively.

Can't complain about the stunning art assets!
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Refinery is a nice looking map, the only niggling issue is the molten pots in transit/smelting have a small amount of collision.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited March 2013
    Runteh wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the grungy artset. I think the clean biodome artset is a lot nicer. Not in quality, but I can distinguish between things better.

Exactly, i always thought it was a bit of a mistake to go with the dirty and dull looking refinery/tram/mineshaft artset and i wonder how much better off the game would be today if they instead went with descent/biodome to begin with, im sure it would have made the game look a lot more interesting to people.