So What Does NS2 Stats Think About All This?

rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
27th till now
Image%202013-03-02%20at%2010.53.27%20AM.png

28th till now
Image%202013-03-02%20at%2010.55.21%20AM.png

Yesterday till now
Image%202013-03-02%20at%2010.55.57%20AM.png

tldr; nothing. These are just some facts. Not going to throw in my anecdotal opinion on changes that NEED to happen. Although I would venture a guess that the Marine win rate might continue to rise to say 58% and even out.

Comments

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    This is mostly due to an influx of new players, where its easier to shoot than learn the nuance of alien/skulking. Combined with the skulk nerfs and better hitreg, this does not surprise me. I expect the winrate to climb to 60% then slowly retract back to around 55% when players and skulk issues even out.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    If you understand it's still too early to draw any conclusions, why make a thread and post NS2 stats of the last few days?
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    If you understand it's still too early to draw any conclusions, why make a thread and post NS2 stats of the last few days?

Because even though it's initial data it supports the sentiment around the forum that Marines are winning more now?
  • thefrozenonethefrozenone Join Date: 2013-02-24 Member: 183302Members
    edited March 2013
    rmbrown09 wrote: »

Because even though it's initial data it supports the sentiment around the forum that Marines are winning more now?

I'd attribute it mostly to the fact there was an influx of new players and people are obsessed with playing gorge. My guess is it will even out to a slight marine advantage in a week or so.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    rmbrown09 wrote: »

Fair enough. I just hope it won't produce another inflammatory skulk nerf/marines op argument. Enough of those already. :)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    This is mostly due to an influx of new players, where its easier to shoot than learn the nuance of alien/skulking.

When the game was released and aliens had 55%+ win the explanation was that its easier to skulk than to play marines...

• ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    correlation != causation

Say this until you believe it. Many, Many, Many other changes happened at the same time - hence why the scientific method cannot be applied. Even player behavior changed, for example players doing nothing for the team and only playing with the new stuff.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Give it a week and I'm sure we'll be back at 60/40 for aliens. Especially if they end up fixing the skulk movement bug by then.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Desther wrote: »
    This is mostly due to an influx of new players, where its easier to shoot than learn the nuance of alien/skulking.

When the game was released and aliens had 55%+ win the explanation was that its easier to skulk than to play marines...

I don't know where you got this, but I clearly remember everyone crying about MARINES OP.

What I've seen in the last two days: people going gorge, spawning babblers and just throwing balls around. Alien comm is almost forced by the team to research anus. Instead of 2nd hive or upgrades. Then whole team hops into that hole (no exit built yet).
    And all those green names. They suck at being aliens.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I love how you made a thread, with only four sentences, and then included a 'tldr' indicating your thread is pointless.
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    edited March 2013
    Never fear, UWE has a much better stats/information gathering system than NS2 stats and I'm sure they are already aware of this.

That being said, NS2 stats is only run on some servers and the explanations here are weighted all over the place. I don't think we will come to a conclusion and should just let UWE tell us what they plan to do before we light up our pitchforks.

Interesting though.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    110 competitive (build 240) games on NS2stats - current win ratio Marines 50.91% vs Aliens 49.04%

Oh the humanity...
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited March 2013
    Savant wrote: »
    110 competitive (build 240) games on NS2stats - current win ratio Marines 50.91% vs Aliens 49.04%

Oh the humanity...

You didn't use the filters or at least correctly to find the true win/loss ratio.

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    why is it human nature to not apply logic before making an argument?

fact: skulk changed, marine didn't change. ergo marine play will be the same and skulk obviously can't do some of the stuff you could do before. even top tier players need some time to adjust.

anyway, talk of balance should be put on hold until skulk friction bug is fixed.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Res wrote: »

Oh the humanity...
    You didn't use the filters or at least correctly to find the true win/loss ratio.
    Yes. I did.

Try yourself. Open filters. Select ALL servers. Select build 240. Select competitive. Then select ALL mods and then DEselect: Marine versus Marine & Combat mode.

It's all right there.

Try yourself. Open filters. Select ALL servers. Select build 240. Select competitive. Then select ALL mods and then DEselect: Marine versus Marine & Combat mode.

It's all right there.

I see what you did there, only looking at one aspect of NS2 (competive play) to make your stats look better. Also, it is actually a 51.8% marine on competitive when I do it. Pub play being ~54.5% marine.

Either way, playing a "muddy/heavy brick" alien is no fun regardless of what the stats say.... let alone marines outrunning skulks, which is the most absurd thing ever.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Well, to be fair I suspect a lot of public alien rounds consist of half the team going gorge and throwing around babblers and tunnels everywhere.. Give it a week or so, then check the numbers again. No need to jump to conclusions.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do you think its fun loosing 60% of the games as a marine player? There needs to be a balance between whats fun for the classes, but also whats balanced. Give the skulk time, learn the movement and more importantly, learn to ambush, sneak and land quick bites. Skulks that land every bite generally win engagements regardless of the movement.
    I see what you did there, only looking at one aspect of NS2 (competive play) to make your stats look better.
    What I did was put SKILL into the equation. Prior to 240, both pubs and comp play were 60% alien/40% marine. Now it's almost dead on 50% with skilled players. Coincidence?
    What I did was put SKILL into the equation. Prior to 240, both pubs and comp play were 60% alien/40% marine. Now it's almost dead on 50% with skilled players. Coincidence?

Sure... There's absolutely no other things that come into play when it's only 5v5 on the battlefield in comp play.... Sure, the only difference is skill.......
    edited March 2013
    xDragon wrote: »
    Do you think its fun loosing 60% of the games as a marine player? There needs to be a balance between whats fun for the classes, but also whats balanced. .

Balance can be achieved other than by reducing movement skills.

Hell, I'd take doing less damage, but keeping the movement skills in over having a "heavy" skulk that does more damage. It just "dumbs" down the skill ceiling.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    edited March 2013
    it means influx of new players.
    i cannot emphasize this enough. A lot of the servers i join have aliens that do not understand the concept of defending a hive when it's under attack, they just kinda walk around nibbling on stuff and ignore / do not use the map
    Sure... There's absolutely no other things that come into play when it's only 5v5 on the battlefield in comp play.... Sure, the only difference is skill.......
    Yeah, it is. It doesn't matter if you are playing 6v6 or 12v12 - if you are a skulk and you run into a solo marine, it is SKILL that determines the outcome, not server size.

You just can't stand the fact that the game is balanced competitively, can you?
    You just can't stand the fact that the game is balanced competitively, can you?

It's pretty asinine to believe that skill is the only difference between comp play and pub play when the amount of players makes a large difference in how things play out on maps.

Also, if you read my previous post, I could care less if the game is "balanced" with these changes, what matters more is how the balance is achieved.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    NS2Stats isn't even working on my server since this latest update. I'm not sure how it's working for others.
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    Give it 1 to 2 more days by then the stats will have equalized. right now people are obsessing over the gorge because of the new changes and the skulk movement was nerfed +marines exo got a new toy so it needs a while to equalize.
  • Flash8798Flash8798 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182814Members
    edited March 2013
    Love how people are picking up the "Let's give this a few more days," approach simply as a way they feel will postpone development fixes on things that allow them to mental fix of kicking alien ass as OP marines for just a little bit longer because they felt victimized since build 238-239 had Alien OP stuff, and now that UWE turned the dial way too far in the other direction, the players who enjoy kicking ass as marines come to defend their new toys and Alien movement nerfs by simply telling people to ignore the obvious decline of the enjoyability of their experience.

Telling people to "Give it a few days and stop complaining in the meantime" is akin to saying "Learn to enjoy the game now sucker, this is how it's gonna be because I'm telling you not to bring up your opinions because -insert 'too soon' argument here-."

Just pointing this out, a bug is a bug, and an unfair advantage is an unfair advantage, regardless of the amount of time passed. Anyone is free to point out and defend their opinions, but everyone who simply rounds it down to, "Don't complain, deal with it for a few days first so I can have my own fun," in leui of coming out honestly and saying they enjoy the nerfs so they can play as a different class; well, that's just lying. You're free to do it, but it's not honorable in any way close to defending a widely accepted position on the movement speed of aliens, which was a clear advantage before in regards to closing the distance on marines.

An attributing reason to why a lot of players aren't having fun is because the way they are comfortable playing with no longer exists, and I can relate to how not being comfortable would result in not having a good time. Anyone certainly should be able to agree with this point at the very least.

And to additionally point out: I play both teams on a rather infrequent basis, and since Build 240, I've found it much, much easier to play as Marines, not due to any interface/teamwork problems, but due to gameplay mechanics on account of movement nerfs. Marines simply get around the map faster (this becomes painfully obvious on Descent) and take more res nodes, and skulk players, even good ones that I play with frequently, are having trouble with map control, which is resulting in the larger loss rate for aliens.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    Right now aliens are way to weak early game.
    I think the best solution would be to leave the speed as it is,but give the alien commander more abilities.The marine commander have medpacks,ammo and nano shield he can throw(medpacks and ammo since early game).
    The alien commander should have atleast 1 extra support ability from the start of the game(a healing cloud or an ink cloud that really obscures marine vision or a 5 seconds boost to aliens speed or something like that).
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    xen32 wrote: »
    Desther wrote: »

I don't know where you got this, but I clearly remember everyone crying about MARINES OP.

Go back a few pages on this forum and see.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    res, there is a known bug with b240 which (iirc) doubled floor friction. skulk running speed is 7, when you wall-jump you go up a notch to 8-9, but then almost immediately go down to 7 when you hit the floor. so the 'change' is that your 15% bonus speed lasts about half as long.

also, please stop whining about balance changes when the only substantial 'change' is being caused by a bug.

marine can only run faster than a skulk if he drops his weapons; curious but no effect on gameplay aside from the occasional trolling moment.