BUG: Unable to evolve in online games...

SynVisionsSynVisions Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2013 in Technical Support
So I downloaded the gorgeous update and played a bit yesterday, and it worked fine.

Today I joined a server and noticed that my F2 button (bound to j2) wasn't working. Even typing j1/j2 in the console does nothing.

I walked through the door to aliens and started to play. Was a bit thrown off when I tried to evolve celerity and it failed. It did the type of failure where it's like you're on an invalid surface... you click evolve and the menu closes and it does nothing. I then later in the game tried to go fade, same problem.

I quit the game and went into explore mode, and everything works fine.

Joined a few other servers and had the same issues.

What the heck is going on? All I know is that I basically cannot play aliens now, and I haven't even checked what might be broken for me on marines.

I've tried restarting the game and verifying the cache already.

edit: After doing some more testing it seems to only be the case when I join servers where a game is already in progress...

edit2: Switching from full screen windowed to full screen seems to have fixed it. It also fixed an issue I was seeing where my FPS was locked to 60 (v-sync off).

edit3: Now it's broken again today, the windowed thing seems to have been a red herring.

Comments

• BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
  • SynVisionsSynVisions Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, I was wrong about that. It seems that it was just a coincidence that it fixed the issue for me yesterday. Today It's broken again.
  • SynVisionsSynVisions Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I restarted the game and tried a different server and things are fixed again... I don't really get it.
  • DurakDurak Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183576Members
    I'm not sure if this is related, but there seems to be a bug where you can't type nor buy things as Marines. I was just playing a game and I think 4 of the 10 players on my team had the bug concurrently. You can press your typing button, type stuff in, enter, and it doesn't appear. Further, when you go to an armory or prototype lab to buy something, select something from menu, then the menu closes without buying it. The bug didn't go away on death nor after the game ended. (I still couldn't type in ready room). I could still drop weapons, pick up weapons, and shoot so I played the full game out at 100 res.

Not sure if it's related but some of the people had the typing symbol over their head when they weren't typing. Apparently I did not have the symbol over my head in the ready room, as my microphone key was working and could ask people, but it could be another bug or related in some way.
    edited March 2013
    Also, I couldn't call for health or ammo. Made the game more challenging than it needed to be. :)

Edit: Oh, apparently you can edit posts. Sorry for double posting. I would also like to mention that this happened to me in Fullscreen mode, not fullscreen windowed.
  • bandorbandor Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183534Members
    only fix seem to be to leave game, restart, and hope it doesn't bug out again. Its super pissing me off when I go to buy an exo and it bug out....all the time and work to stomp around and have fun as an exo down the drain.
  • XtremethXtremeth Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183585Members
    I'm getting this same issue, can't do anything but shoot. Can't evolve as aliens, can't buy weapons/exosuits as humans. Only fix is to quit and restart.
    I just played a handful of games on the Official USW server and the bug never occurred. Maybe it's a server mod causing it? I normally don't join modded servers but it's possible.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Just came to say that I experienced this bug too while playing earlier today. Been playing build 240 plenty of times but never had this problem until this one match.

• WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Two threads on this, I'm pretty sure they're identical bugs. Quitting and rejoining the same server won't work. It's likely a server problem, but I've only gotten it on a server with no mods.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Okay everyone experiencing this:

I need reproduction steps and information.
    Since I cannot reproduce this issue myself.

Specifically, I need you to try on Official UWE servers, and then on varying modded servers.

When you come back to report your results i need your DXDIAG and APPDATA ns2 folder. Instructions:

How to attach or post a DXDIAG information log file, this provides UWE with your system specs, driver and OS info:
    Click on your Windows Desktop Start menu.
    In winXP you want to find "RUN", in Vista/7 you want the search bar at the bottom of the menu.
    Type in DXDIAG and hit Enter
    A window pops up, Either a Diagnostic will auto run or you need to click on a button: Run DxDiag now ~something similar to that.
    When the progress bar is done, Click on the "Save All Information" button, you can post it into a website such as http://www.pastebin.com and post the link here on the forums.

To get to the NS2 APPDATA folder, press windows key + R, fill in "%appdata%", hit enter. Right click your "Natural Selection 2" folder and then "send to" "compressed file (zip)"
    And then host that file somewhere convenient on the internet, with a link to it here.
    Alternatively you can email me this file if you cant find a place: ironhorse@unknownworlds.com

Input handling has been changed lately and we've had some prior bugs with the chat system internally but nothing like this.. I'm wondering if a mod is messing with things, either clientside or server side.

For the advanced users willing to diagnose things/jump ahead:
    Delete your workshop folder in appdata after unsubscribing from all mods in the ingame menu, to rule out clientside mods completely, then join an official UWE server.
    Only then if still occurring, disable steam cloud and then delete this file:
    Drive:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\YourUserIDNumber\4920\remote\options.xml
    Don't change any settings once you start NS2
    Now try an official server and see if still occurring.

Thanks for your patience and effort.
  • bigsexy420bigsexy420 Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183616Members
    Thought I'd post my info here see if it helps fix the issue. I can replicate this issue 100% on the OldF.net server (don't have the IP atm).

The only mods that I use are the
    -Hello Kitty Armor and Weapon skins (don't judge me)
    -Wolverine claws
    -Dread guard infestation

Haven't tried turning them off yet as the OldF server is down atm but once it comes back up I'll try it out. I have a whole bunch of other mods like maps and game types but they are all turned off before I join the server.

Here is a copy of my DXDiag on pastebin
    http://pastebin.com/HHvXAwpH

I'm trying to attach my appdata folder to this post but it may not work since it is 251MB. If so I'll email it to you later today.
  • sadpandasadpanda Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183574Members
    one extra tidbit. Console commands and Fkeys do nothing (like console J1 to join rines). I find this is server specific. Certain servers always do it and other ones are always fine. Modded and white servers are fine. The green rookie friendly ones aren't.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    I was experiencing the same bug, however had played on other servers without the bug. The server that I had the bug on did not have any mods on it AFAIK. This bug appears to be server specific, and also player specific (I had it on a server, friends didnt. On other server a friend had it, but I didnt).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @sadpanda: OldF server is a white, non rookie server and it is easily and consistently reproduce-able on there. Verify this on your end, if you could please.
    edited March 2013