Only first person spectating now?

Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Ok, don't get me wrong, first person spectating is AMAZING.

But... where did third person spectating go? I miss it when I'm dead and I miss it in spectator mode. Is there a reason this was removed?

Comments

• Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    There might be a way to switch, there might not be. Either way, I really wish there was some documentation that explained how to control the spectator mode, or even change the spectator mode bindings.
  • coldsmokecoldsmoke Join Date: 2004-07-28 Member: 30202Members
    YES put it back in, please don't remove features when there's no reason for them to be removed in the first place. When you don't care about what someone is seeing its a lot more fun to watch them in 3rd person.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I agree - third-person spec is missed.

I'm surprised to hear that it's not easy to keep in. Oh well. I'd rather have performance and gameplay and balance improvements, but yeah, it would be nice to have third-person spec available as well.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Agree on bringing 3rd person back. It's more enjoyable and relaxing. Somehow, first person keeps me as amped as when I play. I need nice calm death to cool off between lives, but still like to watch the action. Topspec just doesn't do it, plied you have to interact and follow the action.
  • GryffinGryffin Join Date: 2010-01-06 Member: 69917Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Yes. Please reinstall third-person spectating.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    The people have spoken! :P
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Boo, third person sucks! Never bring it back!

/devils advocate
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Yeah we're pretty bad about documentation and need to get better.

In FPSpec, left/right mouse button switch players.
    Space bar switches modes, as do 1, 2, 3 keys.

Third person spec has been disabled completely and is not easy to keep in. But we can consider putting it back in if there's enough demand.

It would make sense to be able to swap between free camera, commander perspective, third person and first person within spectator. Are these not all available in proper spectator mode? I've only seen the deathcam, but imo you should be able to get everything except free camera when dead.

I do love first person perspective though. Feels far more engaging and exciting when dead.
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    edited March 2013
    i think best way for casters would be:

spectator view changing with keys 1 stperson 2 insight 3 rdperson and 4 freeview

switching trough with mouse1or2 is too time intesive on an livestream.
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    One more for bringing back 3rd person. I do miss it, when I want go get a great view of a fight trying to follow around freecam is not conducive to my viewing lazyness/pleasure.
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Is there gonna be some kind of NS2TV ?
    Even if I enjoy casters a lot I kindda miss the old hltv servers.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited March 2013
    Please put it back in!

I miss it and I much prefer the freedom on switching back and forth between 1st person and 3rd person.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Yeah we're pretty bad about documentation and need to get better.

In FPSpec, left/right mouse button switch players.
    Space bar switches modes, as do 1, 2, 3 keys.

Third person spec has been disabled completely and is not easy to keep in. But we can consider putting it back in if there's enough demand.

Don't care about third person, but is there a way to go straight to free view from the top down view to wherever your mouse is pointing?
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    OK we'll take a look - no promises, these things can be surprisingly subtle at times and we have higher priority things (like PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE), but we'll look into putting it back in :)
  • AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
    edited March 2013
    There is one minor bug (I think) with first-person spectating that I noticed

when you are a player (not a spectator) and then you die and go into first-person spectating and press tab to show scores, the scoreboard highlights the name and score field of the player you are spectating, instead of you.

I am happy that there IS first-person spectating now though, thanks for that
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    Andinagama wrote: »
    There is one minor bug (I think) with first-person spectating that I noticed

when you are a player (not a spectator) and then you die and go into first-person spectating and press tab to show scores, the scoreboard highlights the name and score field of the player you are spectating, instead of you.

I am happy that there IS first-person spectating now though, thanks for that

notice that too is a bit anoying, i keep looking to the wrong stats everytime

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't think it's a bug, probably a feature, it makes sense (show the stats of who you're specing more easily), but it IS annoying and misleading.
  • SidderSidder Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176034Members
    Any way you could add back an total counter of RES lost in spectate mode again also? its cool and all to see res flow & rts like that but ye ..
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Agreed that it makes sense, but agreed that it's a misfeature. I think when you press tab you want to see your own stats highlighted no matter who you happen to be following at the moment. If you cared about their stats you'd just look up at the top of the spectate screen.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If third person spectate comes back (which i personally don't really care about) then it's important to make sure it doesn't let you see through walls. It always made me nervous that you could move the camera so it's outside the map and see areas you shouldn't.