Gorgeous and Comp Play

statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
edited March 2013 in Competitive Play
Just some thoughts while I wait for the download....

Bile bomb destroying dropped weapons....pretty interesting change, I suspect this is going to make quite an impact on marine lategame pres due to far less shotgun retainment

Exos are still never going to be seen much they are just too immobile

Gorge Tunnels....probably not worth the heavy Tres investment until well into the game so I expect it to have little impact...delay key upgrades or first Tres Fade? seems unlikely

Babblers...Don't really know but probably same issue with the Tres invesment being too much to bother with until much later

The gorge upgrades at least should probably help with having something to spend on once alien comms have all their key upgrades...but will they be worth not having a backup fade egg? We will have to see perhaps that babbler armor on fades might be helpful if its on the second hive.

Phasegate frequency change...that might help a little bit with phasegates getting grinded but I think probably not much.

So I'm thinking that from a competitive point of view maybe the biggest impact is going to be from bile bomb destroying dropped weapons.

Comments

• fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Edit: Just now noticing a lot of interesting changes that weren't mentioned in the changelog, for example: Changes to lerk flight, slightly faster marine speed, more accurate medpacks. First person spec is also nice, but it doesn't seem entirely accurate unfortunately.
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    HUGE CHANGE to skulk speeds. Go try to wall hop lol. This change alone is a massive balance nerf to aliens.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    the skulk speed change is not huge, but will impact certain playstyles heavily. Acceleration and friction were both lowered, for a net loss in acceleration. Afaik there are no changes to lerk flight (unless changes are low level engine ones). Marine speed should also be unchanged (exos are different however). Also tickrate seems to take a beating lategame now.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    if by late game you mean 5 minutes
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    So after playing a bit, definitely noticed that ist alot harder to maintain your walljumping speed, altho i was only a medicore walljumper to begin with...didn't notice a marine speed change but it could be there.

The new exo was definitely fun but at 200dmg full charge its just not gonna be worth it in any serious play even with the much faster walk speed.

Babblers are useless offensively, they seem to be pretty good defensively but since they are bugged out they mess up the primary attack of the defended person so thats not great....

30 Tres for gorge tunnel plus 30Pres investment and time to get across the map...just not going to be seen except perhaps in the late game on an already winning alien team

tldr; the best part is the strip club in decent

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    You're pretty fast with your assumptions.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    WHy do people keep calling club, the strip club?
    It's staffed by gorges, and as we all know, they don't have clothes.
    Unless they are putting babblrz on their privates, and peeling them off slowly?
  • creamcream Join Date: 2011-05-14 Member: 98671Members
    edited March 2013
    xDragon wrote: »
    the skulk speed change is not huge, but will impact certain playstyles heavily. Acceleration and friction were both lowered, for a net loss in acceleration. Afaik there are no changes to lerk flight (unless changes are low level engine ones). Marine speed should also be unchanged (exos are different however). Also tickrate seems to take a beating lategame now.

impact certain playstyles heavily = not huge? you're contradicting yourself here.

taking away variety in playstyles by crippling them effectively makes the aliens more predictable in combat, which is bad imo. what i feel is that the skulk movement nerf is going to affect early game the most (and in pretty huge ways). probably going to decrease the number of successful engagements for aliens in the first few minutes.

this smells like a change made for pubbers. but let's see how it goes, i guess.

EDIT: also seconding tickrate issues.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Accel was decreased and friction was increased. Meaning if you don't hit your wall jumps/hops perfectly, you become a brick since the higher friction slows you down. It was a change for pubbers. I can confirm that. It wasn't in the notes but my teammates were saying the lerk was changed as well. I am personally not a fan of these changes but lets see how it plays out.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    amazing to have these skulk changes before the Invitationals.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    cant tell if serious
    but i wan jmp arond
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Speeds (except for the exos) weren't changed afaik, but some tweaking was done to the acceleration and friction of some classes (definitely skulk, and I think lerk but I'm not completely certain on that).

The exo change was to make the base speed of the single mini/railgun exo faster and to remove the backwards speed penalty (i.e. you move full speed backwards).

The skulk changes were small tweaks, but I expect it will have a pretty big impact on both pub and comp play, as it affects the critical first 5 min skulk v assault rifle combat.
  • creamcream Join Date: 2011-05-14 Member: 98671Members
    actually after observing net_stats for a bit i don't think tickrate is the issue.
    xDragon wrote: »
    cant tell if serious
    eh? wrote: »
    but i wan jmp arond
    ????????????/// i dun evne kno u kno wat-
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Well after playing a few gathers I have definitely noticed marines are dominating due to skulk movement changes (my opinion)....anyone else agree that the balance seems to have majorly shifted with teh changes?

I also noticed that marine RT build time seems to have been decreased.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    fanatic wrote: »
    Edit: Just now noticing a lot of interesting changes that weren't mentioned in the changelog, for example: Changes to lerk flight, slightly faster marine speed, more accurate medpacks. First person spec is also nice, but it doesn't seem entirely accurate unfortunately.

Do you mean for example when a skulk dies to shots but on your screen they don't hit?
    More that the fidelity of first person spectate is (unfortunately) pretty poor likely due to poor server performance.

But on the bright-side, once server performance drastically improves; the first person spectating should improve too. But for now first person spectate is likely just going to generate a lot of false suspicion about people snapping because the view orientation updates so snappily and slowly.