Camo and Silence suck now?

CuddlepuppyCuddlepuppy Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183209Members
Has anyone else noticed that Silence doesn't work at all and Camo is not even close to as good as it was?

Comments

• RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Isn't Silence the same?

And yes, Camo sucks now.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Being completely invisible is not camo... being barely visible is.
  • GenjinGenjin Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183153Members
    There seems to be something wrong with the camo, at least for me. I can hold down shift and carefully walk over a wall while cloaked, but I notice I go in and out of camo while doing that. I noticed that trying to use camo without Alien Vision activated. It just ruins any surprise moment. Also because it's hard to see the state in Alien Vision I keep holding shift just long enough for the Marine to kill me without knowing I actually decloaked. This happened almost all the time so I don't know what else might be wrong with the Camo, and I havn't seen the Camo from a Marine perspective yet. These are just some first impressions I had during my play tonight.
  • agallochagalloch Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168650Members
    Genjin,
    SeeVee wrote: »

The point of ideal camo is to blend you in as much as possible to the point of being invisible. Sadly, this is not the implementation anymore.

Genjin wrote: »
    There seems to be something wrong with the camo, at least for me. I can hold down shift and carefully walk over a wall while cloaked, but I notice I go in and out of camo while doing that. I noticed that trying to use camo without Alien Vision activated. It just ruins any surprise moment. Also because it's hard to see the state in Alien Vision I keep holding shift just long enough for the Marine to kill me without knowing I actually decloaked. This happened almost all the time so I don't know what else might be wrong with the Camo, and I havn't seen the Camo from a Marine perspective yet. These are just some first impressions I had during my play tonight.

Genjin, while you are walking when cloaked you are not fully invisible, you're 80% invisible, enough that marines can see you. Only by being still, now, can they not see you cloaked.

I, for one, don't like this change whatsoever. Cloak is absolutely useless.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    SeeVee wrote: »

Camo as traditionally viewed cannot work in an FPS game for many, many reasons. It was fine, allbeit too easy to use, as is. It will now be ignored in favor of "better" upgrades. Instead of having upgrades all be options and equally viable, the tradition of simply BETTER upgrades continues.
  • sinkingmistsinkingmist Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172905Members
    I think what would be really interesting is if they now made it possible for you to take both camo and silence at the same time (or alternatively, as soon as they're researched it's given to all aliens automatically, like arms lab).
    With these changes, an attentive marine can now spot any alien trying to sneak up on them without needing a scan.
    And of course a scan will reveal any alien, even if they're still and in 100% camo.
    But if you could take both at the same time, it might make Shade a worthwhile hive.
    It would also be a lot of fun to move around silently at full speed when hiding behind some object, then going into camo and playing Red Light Green Light with marines.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Tip:

Since the faster you move, the more visible you become with Camouflage, holding the crouch key will immediately return you to 90% invisibility then quickly to 100% if you stay still. However, the combat modifier applies, so this only works If you haven't attacked, been attacked or jumped recently.

Note: as Skulk, crouch will drop you from walls, so use shift key instead. As Gorge, you can also do this right after a Belly Slide!
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Dunno, I learn new things every day ...
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wheeee wrote: »
    I think camo and silence should be combined into one upgrade "stealth", and an additional shade tech added which would be some sort of focus/scent of fear/etc type upgrade.

This would also be pretty awesome. Stealth isn't a good focus for an entire upgrade path, since it's so much less important for other life forms than it is for Skulks.
  • agallochagalloch Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168650Members
    Res wrote: »
    "Commander Flayra has spent the morning working on new Cloaking mechanics and effects. The ability never felt right, and in Gorgeous (our upcoming massive update) it is going to get a whole lot more responsive, good looking, fun and skill-based!"

BS flayra.... the camo change is just a flat out nerf.... if "fun" and "skill-based" means, "now nearly useless"..... then sure.

Dot. Grandstanding at its finest.

• CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    After playing one game- Now Camo sucks!

So far, it's been severely weakened. Least it looks pretty.

Waiting till the after the weekend to make a final call on it.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    Camo is useless now.

At the very least we should be able to move at full speed in the semi-visible mode until we attack or are attacked. There would still be footstep sounds and it's not like the shader is difficult to see when moving.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    I already brought up some points on this here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128491/two-small-changes-i-love-already#latest

Basically, I think this is... yet again, another case where we are gonna see too many posters jumping the gun, thinking the only way to deal with a problem is to face it directly, without looking at the periphery (namely, something related to camouflage: observatories).

Camo is in a good place, where it should've been from the start. Movement and cloaking should work like this, it makes sense (risk/reward), and is fair for combating players.

he intervention of a Marine commander constantly doing scans and having to build was bad design; an extra load on the commander from a team that depends too much.

The problem now, of course, is seeing whether observatories need to take a hit in some way, which I think is within reason if people continue to dislike camouflage (even just for fun). I've said it before: camo is fine. The effect is great.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    The effect is great, yes.
    But its easily seen. Easily seen + slow = suicide, imo.
    Shooting at that effect as it ran on the walls would be way more difficult and fun for both sides
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Yeah I think full speed camo would be completely fine even with relatively high transparency. A fast moving blur effect is easy to spot. All you have to do is clip the skulk with a single bullet to nullify his camo.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I don't know what you guys expected. We've had 50 page long threads about how to change camo, but no proper solutions. Kinda lot to expect the devs to come up with one, in a large content patch like Gorgeous.

My suggestion is still awesome, albeit impossible to implement prolly: Full camo when standing still, full camo when moving if the marine watching you is moving, but if the marine watching you is standing still, he sees you while you move in camo. (as a 10% blur)
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Shooting at that effect as it ran on the walls would be way more difficult and fun for both sides
    Sure. As long at the relationship between camo and movement remains fair and fun (of course).

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know what you guys expected. We've had 50 page long threads about how to change camo, but no proper solutions. Kinda lot to expect the devs to come up with one, in a large content patch like Gorgeous.

My suggestion is still awesome, albeit impossible to implement prolly: Full camo when standing still, full camo when moving if the marine watching you is moving, but if the marine watching you is standing still, he sees you while you move in camo. (as a 10% blur)

This idea makes no sense at all, and i love it.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

Really I dont get it, I thought we had sorted out cammo during the beta, we tried all sorts of different effects delays, transparency/visibility levels etc etc. Was it not concluded that not being 100% invisible meant you might as well not be invisible at all which was why we ended up with 100%.

Having the speed penalty along with visibility...I am sorry this is one of those times the changes made by UWE leave me flabbergast.

I guess if we only want to see shift - crag or crag - shift combo's this is a great way of achieving that.
    Shade been seen as the poor upgrade choice for a long time....this now cements it.

I thought the idea of a scanner that could be purchased at armoury had best solution.
    Either the flash light that cuases a glimmer when it was shined on a camo'd surface
    or
    Some short range motion tracking device, you can purchase, so other marines within x mtres of you when you have it out can see a blip on their screen.

Finding khamms that like to do anything but crag shift or shift crag was rare before...wont be long before they are even rarer.

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Im happy i hate camo players (no skills needed). Now you at least need to be atached to a wall not STAND in a center of corridor! good move UWE.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    I find this rather funny as camo is more or less back to its pre-buff state. So what does this mean exactly? Before the 100% invisibility buff patch, no comm used shade first/second as it was pretty useless in comparison to shift/crag. After the patch? Well it became a viable first hive in pub games and the metagame shifted to marine scans and obs everywhere. Aliens dominated quite a bit in the games I participated with shade first, but the players adapted and the advantage was mitigated as the players got better.

So the devs reverted shade back to when no sane comm would use except as a third hive when the reason it was buffed in the first place was so it would be a viable first hive. Then of course this does nothing but promote camping even further as you're only fully invisible when you aren't moving...
  • NotAgOatNotAgOat Join Date: 2004-04-15 Member: 27947Members
    I actually like the change as well. Just change the way you use and think about it. With the current implementation, camo is better used for laying ambushes rather than stealthily walking right up to someone straight at you. Next, 80% visibility isn't *useless. It can be used to walk past guarded entrances at medium to long distances without a marine noticing you. If you want to run full speed, probably away from combat, you become fully visible. This seems well balanced to me. Whining about the new change without giving time to adapt to using it is stupid.

On a side note, the game cannot grow/evolve unless you guys give the devs a chance to experiment with changes. Some changes WILL be mistakes, but making mistakes is good in the end.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Now carapace and celerity are pretty much the only useful upgrades left in the game. UWE seriously needs to take a look at their upgrade system and sort this mess to be honest, it's not okay for only 2/6 possible upgrades to be viable.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Xarius wrote: »
    Now carapace and celerity are pretty much the only useful upgrades left in the game. UWE seriously needs to take a look at their upgrade system and sort this mess to be honest, it's not okay for only 2/6 possible upgrades to be viable.

I don't understand how silence still isn't good? I think it's the second best upgrade myself, after cara of course.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Xarius wrote: »

Silence has't changed, right? So the Carapace - Silence upgrade path used in many comp teams is still fully viable. Adrenaline for bilebomb is viable, silence for skulks, lerks, fades, and for saving gorges from being hunted down across the map is still viable.

You are right in the premise that some upgrades are flat out better than others, however. In an ideal world, it would be perfectly valid to choose any of the 6 upgrades as your first. Honestly though, I don't know if that is achievable in any form. That's not to say it shouldn't be a goal, though!