Frank Klepacki - Dune 2000 music

FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
http://www.frankklepacki.com/portfolio/game-dune2000.html

Just ... unbelievable work by Frank. This was also the best Playstation 1 game for me.

Comments

• ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    Thanks for posting this! While I haven't played the games, I'm currently reading the original Dune saga for the 3rd time, and it will be great to have more Dune-themed music to listen to while reading. :) I also recommend Emperor: Battle for Dune soundtrack - it has a different feel, but there are some very good tracks in it, especially the Harkonnen ones.

The spice must flow.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I can heartily recommend these Dune books:

Dune,
    Dune Messiah,
    Children of Dune,
    God Emperor of Dune,
    Heretics of Dune,
    Chapter House Dune.

...as these are the ones written by Frank Herbert, not his offspring Brian Herbert (spit).

As for that music, it sounds like generic 2000s vidja-synth.

--Scythe--
  • -pANIC--pANIC- Join Date: 2013-01-13 Member: 179295Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The Dune 2000 OST was actually a remix of the original Dune2 OST....if you can call it a OST. Brilliant stuff.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    Scythe wrote: »

Dune,
    Dune Messiah,
    Children of Dune,
    God Emperor of Dune,
    Heretics of Dune,
    Chapter House Dune.

...as these are the ones written by Frank Herbert, not his offspring Brian Herbert (spit).

--Scythe--

I read the first 5 Frank Herbert books, plus Brian's Dune: The Butlerian Jihad, which I personally didn't mind. But then, it was so long before Paul Muad'Dib that it felt unrelated.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Scythe wrote: »

Dune,
    Dune Messiah,
    Children of Dune,
    God Emperor of Dune,
    Heretics of Dune,
    Chapter House Dune.

--Scythe--

I frickin LOVE the first two volumes!!! Never have I read a better novel about religous fanatism and the detachement of its unwilling icon from its believes. The third book is alright, I like the scope it delivers and there are a few nice scenes it it. The rest is redundant philosophical babble if you ask me. And when it starts with the Honored Matres bull it becomes more of an action book. Anyway, Dune's still the best sci-fi universe out there.
    Don't miss the original film by David Lynch either, awesome art design and stellar cast, but be sure to read the first book beforehand or you will not know what the hell you just watched :)

On to the music:
    Some of those tracks are just brilliant! They always evoke a melancholy and nostalgic feeling in me, as Dune 2 was the first computer game I ever laid hands on (must have been around 8 or 9 at the time).

Two of my favorite tracks:

The slow blade penetrates the shield!