Gorgeous Changelog - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Vahn_PaktuVahn_Paktu Join Date: 2002-10-28 Member: 1666Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    @Max
    I used that all to time.
    How am I supposed to trap unsuspecting Onoes and fades now? :( Oh well

All these new marine starts are awesome. The maps play different just from that change itself.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see some people saying they lost FPS. For some reason if you delete your cache and then reload the game you will gain FPS. I don't know why but I went from 90 with drops to 150. Of course I play with everything off and on low.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    MrChoke wrote: »
    A huge changelog and big things added. It looks very cool. But NOT ONE balance change.

I'm not sure which changelog you are reading but it is not the one I posted. I know you mean well. But you should play the game and think about the cumulative effect of the nuanced and numerous changes made. This kind of off hand 'Oh they didn't do anything' statement is very damaging to forum tone, and some people might actually read it and believe it.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    joederp wrote: »
    As a lerk I think my hitbox was much larger / easier to hit - I got killed many times from using old tactics where I would normally survive in the distance - seems like marines can pick off lerk much easier now at range.
    Lerks now have visible "tracers" showing exactly where a lerk is firing from.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    joederp wrote: »
    As a lerk I think my hitbox was much larger / easier to hit - I got killed many times from using old tactics where I would normally survive in the distance - seems like marines can pick off lerk much easier now at range.
    Lerks now have visible "tracers" showing exactly where a lerk is firing from.
    Really?...mutter mutter...

So why did we add the roost function?
    A lerk could get away with roosting if using silence as most marines pinpointed you baesd on your sound...now they will have a little tracer?

Sure I hated lerks as a marine...but not as much as I hated marines as a lerk.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited March 2013
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    The performance decreases in this patch are genuinely awful. Efforts spent on new graphical features seem ill placed when an i7 at 4.5ghz + struggles to maintain 60+ FPS (with everything on low) on certain maps late in the game.

I don't understand the desire to constantly add in new graphical features, when it decreases the frame rate of an already poorly performing game. Even on highly optimized maps like the NSL maps, I struggle to hold over 90 FPS in areas that I was getting 120+ consistently on last patch.

Performance needs to be a priority, and instead it just continually gets worse.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    The performance decreases in this patch are genuinely awful. Efforts spent on new graphical features seem ill placed when an i7 at 4.5ghz + struggles to maintain 60+ FPS (with everything on low) on certain maps late in the game.

I don't understand the desire to constantly add in new graphical features, when it decreases the frame rate of an already poorly performing game. Even on highly optimized maps like the NSL maps, I struggle to hold over 90 FPS in areas that I was getting 120+ consistently on last patch.

Performance needs to be a priority, and instead it just continually gets worse.

Reflections and decals can be disabled pretty much completely in the graphics options.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not appreciating the slow Skulk movement.

One cannot maintain/sustain momentum. It feels muddy.

As for the railguns, I can't stand em. How does a railgun insta-gib damage differ from a Fade's Focus Swipe?

They say NO to Fade Focus Swipe because there's no down-side to a team full of em.

They say YES to Instagib Exos because _________________?
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had a performance increase, just to confuse matters.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    Not appreciating the slow Skulk movement.

One cannot maintain/sustain momentum. It feels muddy.

As for the railguns, I can't stand em. How does a railgun insta-gib damage differ from a Fade's Focus Swipe?

They say NO to Fade Focus Swipe because there's no down-side to a team full of em.

They say YES to Instagib Exos because _________________?

Yes to railguns because ther the coolest things ever
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It should also be noted that fullscreen windowed mode forces vsync on (which means 60 max fps as well)
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    this patch is terrible. absolutely terrible. i'll post for those afraid to post bc they will be flagged. babblers are useless. marines almost always win. great hype for a broken game... i know some of u PTers... and.. really? shoulda released this then another one in 2 weeks and make that a big deal. this game is silly.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Shaker wrote: »
    It should also be noted that fullscreen windowed mode forces vsync on (which means 60 max fps as well)

This will be fixed when we likely release a hotfix tomorrow.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    honestly, after the huge hype for this patch, and after what i've received, i really wish i could get my $40 back
    Sampson wrote: »
    honestly, after the huge hype for this patch, and after what i've received, i really wish i could get my $40 back

Someone just lost as aliens a few times in a row. Like people have said, theres a ton of gorges/babblers and fast tunnels that are setting aliens behind. The skulk movement is a bit slow though, with how powerful shotguns are.

This will be fixed when we likely release a hotfix tomorrow.

Just letting the forums know - I just told the last server I was on and it made a lot of people happier that were complaining about framerate drop with the patch.

• bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    That sounds terrible. In the worst case we could have one team have a winrate 65%. Oh wait.

I didnt play it yet but it seems you fixed the "hitreg" issues with skulks and lerks. Grats UWE, and if that powernode notification works now im looking forward for some balanced ns2 action.
  • SoleanthiaSoleanthia Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175844Members
    So far I'm liking the changes. As a caster for some games, however, the map in the bottom left is a bit small. It's really important for me to be able to see what's going on, but it's a little hard to do. Everything else is pretty nice in spec mode. I really like how the tech points are listed in the bottom right now.
  • wishfulwishful Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183488Members
    Personally I like a lot of what they were trying to do with this patch and this is my view of the pros and cons and issues with this patch after a good 3 or so hours of playtime. A new map was long overdue and the new map is pretty, it has some slight balance issues but I'm sure those will be ironed out in the next week or so. However there are a couple of both minor and major issues with the patch. First gorges, as a gorge the fact that bile bomb got nerfed is kind of back and forth. Yes bile bomb is super powerful but it keeps getting nerfed and it means that gorges have to go in close and get killed often. I agree with the damage debuff but as a support class the gorge should be at the back therefore I disagree with the range buff. Next the basically alien gorge tunnels, they are a lot of fun and give a whole new roll as a gorge. However 10 res plus a 30 res investment by the com is a bit steep, combine that with the fact that marines can go through them and they really have some issues. I have seen many a base seiged by marines through a gorge tunnel which is just silly. Either the tunnels should not allow marine access or they should be cheaper. Finally with babblers they are really not that intuitive nor really all that useful. They don't really auto attack or any thing like that and therefore for a gorge to use them they have to use another arced spit which is the last thing the gorge needs. Really I think they are mostly fine but once built I think they should attack without the gorge having to spit around and you only need to use the spit if you want to direct them. Next onto skulks. The hitbox changes are a good thing they make sense and are a welcome addition. However skulks are now super easy to kill for players with a reasonable amount of skill, personally I think the best fix for this is just a slight speed increase for skulks to make them harder to hit because getting to a back jumping marine as a skulk is nigh impossible. Lerks also need some fix, I don't know what it is (Not a big lerk guy) but the tracers make them too easy to spot and their hitboxes are fixed making them super easy to kill. Oni and fades remain generally unchanged so thats that. As for the new cloaking, I personally have little experience with it but is seems generally fine with just a few shade bugs to iron out. Next on the marine side the big change there is two-fold. One the phase gates got changed. This seems like a minor change a .4 second change in the delay to get through a phase gate, however when trying to take a phase gate it is possible for the entire team to phase through in just about 1 second. This is ridiculous and although the previous time was too long this is far too short and needs to be adjusted. Next the railgun exo, great addition its freaking awesome, but it kind of makes the already pretty useless single exo totally useless. Currently the single minigun exo is not only slower then the railgun exo but is not anywhere near as good at killing things. One fix for this and how good railguns are right now would be just to add an extra tech required to get railguns. Then after you get single mini's you go either get dual exos or railguns. As for decent it is a good map with an amazing aesthetic I love it thanks you so much for adding it, a tad marine biased but now that the masses have gotten it I'm sure we we will see balance changes soon. So in general though I am positive about the update and can't wait for more and just hope some hotfixes come soon.
    bERt0r wrote: »
    That sounds terrible. In the worst case we could have one team have a winrate 65%. Oh wait.

You say 65% like it is not a big deal but something like that will lead to team stacking people not wanting to join one side and making it very hard to get people to join aliens in general so a winrate, we really want the winrate to be withen 55% or less or the community and the game will start to have very serious problems playing NS2
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    The skulk nerf is awful. Revert it. It was totally unnecessary.
    "Reformatted from earlier post to make reading easier"

Personally I like a lot of what they were trying to do with this patch and this is my view of the pros and cons and issues with this patch after a good 3 or so hours of playtime. A new map was long overdue and the new map is pretty, it has some slight balance issues but I'm sure those will be ironed out in the next week or so. However there are a couple of both minor and major issues with the patch.

-Gorges
    First gorges, as a gorge the fact that bile bomb got nerfed is kind of back and forth. Yes bile bomb is super powerful but it keeps getting nerfed and it means that gorges have to go in close and get killed often. I agree with the damage debuff but as a support class the gorge should be at the back therefore I disagree with the range buff. Next the basically alien gorge tunnels, they are a lot of fun and give a whole new roll as a gorge. However 10 res plus a 30 res investment by the com is a bit steep, combine that with the fact that marines can go through them and they really have some issues. I have seen many a base seiged by marines through a gorge tunnel which is just silly. Either the tunnels should not allow marine access or they should be cheaper. Finally with babblers they are really not that intuitive nor really all that useful. They don't really auto attack or any thing like that and therefore for a gorge to use them they have to use another arced spit which is the last thing the gorge needs. Really I think they are mostly fine but once built I think they should attack without the gorge having to spit around and you only need to use the spit if you want to direct them.

-Skulks
    Next onto skulks. The hitbox changes are a good thing they make sense and are a welcome addition. However skulks are now super easy to kill for players with a reasonable amount of skill, personally I think the best fix for this is just a slight speed increase for skulks to make them harder to hit because getting to a back jumping marine as a skulk is nigh impossible.

-Lerks
    Lerks also need some fix, I don't know what it is (Not a big lerk guy) but the tracers make them too easy to spot and their hitboxes are fixed making them super easy to kill.

-Fades and Oni
    Oni and fades remain generally unchanged so thats that. As for the new cloaking, I personally have little experience with it but is seems generally fine with just a few shade bugs to iron out.

-Phase gates
    Next on the marine side the big change there is two-fold. One the phase gates got changed. This seems like a minor change a .4 second change in the delay to get through a phase gate, however when trying to take a phase gate it is possible for the entire team to phase through in just about 1 second. This is ridiculous and although the previous time was too long this is far too short and needs to be adjusted.

-Exos
    Next the railgun exo, great addition its freaking awesome, but it kind of makes the already pretty useless single exo totally useless. Currently the single minigun exo is not only slower then the railgun exo but is not anywhere near as good at killing things. One fix for this and how good railguns are right now would be just to add an extra tech required to get railguns. Then after you get single mini's you go either get dual exos or railguns.

-Conclusion
    As for decent it is a good map with an amazing aesthetic I love it thanks you so much for adding it, a tad marine biased but now that the masses have gotten it I'm sure we we will see balance changes soon. So in general though I am positive about the update and can't wait for more and just hope some hotfixes come soon.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    I see some people saying they lost FPS. For some reason if you delete your cache and then reload the game you will gain FPS. I don't know why but I went from 90 with drops to 150. Of course I play with everything off and on low.

What exactly do you delete and where is it located?

• KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Your cache is located in: "\%appdata%\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\cache"

Note: Deleting the cache will make the game do the "compiling shaders for first run" thing.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sampson wrote: »

Heres an idea instead of bitching on the forums, how bout you just dont play the game and get over it
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    Heres an idea instead of bitching on the forums, how bout you just dont play the game and get over it
    "Agree with me or get out" is a really juvenile and counter-productive attitude to take.

Feedback is helpful, whether it's positive or not, because it allows the developer to know how people feel about the things they're doing.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    "Fixed clogs appearing for one frame at world origin."

YES!! This bugged the shit out of me in Central Drilling on Mineshaft.