Gorgeous Changelog - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well at least one indirect balance effect this patch has is that less gorge players will now be able to go onos due to the extra toys they get to play with. I do think some more changes are very much warranted, the game isn't magically going to fix itself if you simply throw more stuff in.

Good to hear the next patch is a balance priority one though, definitely going to be looking out for that. The new gorge toys are cool and descent is a pretty sweet map so well done on that :)
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    Nice changes. Pg rate, bile bomb weapons, new content.

Although something has occurred only to me now, with the official release. Rail guns can one shot skulks fully charged, more than one shot on gorges and lerks. How is that any better than a 20 res shotgun?

I haven't played yet. I'm in class. Reading and daydreaming. Can the rail gun hit at distances and is it easier to hit with? If so, I hope to see it become meta
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Makes sense to not adjust balance much since new things (that alter balance) were just added. Honestly, anyone expecting major balance changes before a major content patch was not being realistic.
  • gl0begl0be Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22620Members, Constellation
    How's last used weapon coming along?
  • destroyerjjbgdestroyerjjbg Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183467Members
    ths hugh ths ns2 developer team, ths comunity, i really love this game and i aprectiate so much every update for minor it is. Love new maps and the new weapons for aliens and rines and the new changes in maps including start locations, give it more value in strategy way. My pc is a lil old but i like very much to command so i can enjoy very much this game comanding. Ths ths i apreciatte it very much , keep doing ths.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    Man, this patch is really awesome! :)

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    irEric wrote: »
    Nice changes. Pg rate, bile bomb weapons, new content.
    How is that any better than a 20 res shotgun?

It works at range and goes through stuff. having been the 3rd skulk in a row to get zapped in testing a few times it is p nice.

• DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ugh. I still can't believe they haven't made Bile Bomb easier to see while in Alien Vision. I've been asking for this for over 6 months now.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    @Doppy :
    Some playtesters (myself included) tried to make that one happen, (got close too! also with lerk spores) but it became a big balance discussion as alien vision always does.
    There's a new, easier method to apply which item is orange now, its no longer based on bones but instead material, so it CAN be changed afaik... but like i said that's probably the longest balance discussion in the history of these forums, dating back to the first time AV was implemented. Trade offs etc. (definitely dont wish to derail this thread into that discussion so if you want you can start a new thread)
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Curious patch, with many small, but potentially significant in sum, balance changes that were not all mentioned in the changelog. Going to be interesting to see how this affects gameplay over the coming weeks.

All the new content looks and sounds amazing, I should add. The exo railgun visual effect is particularly awesome, and the sounds the babblers make is pretty much the best thing ever. Descent looks incredible, but the jury's still out on how well it plays.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I am not sure if it is just me, but some of the maps seem a bit brighter. Were light counts fine tuned for performance at all? Sorting in Mineshaft in particular seemed much brighter.

Maybe I am just insane.
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    Skulks are slower. Much slower.
  • agallochagalloch Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168650Members
    SquishyOne wrote: »

Yep, and it sucks. Totally disagree with this change.

Also, A MASSIVE PERFORMANCE HIT.

• FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    agalloch wrote: »
    SquishyOne wrote: »

Yep, and it sucks. Totally disagree with this change.

Also, A MASSIVE PERFORMANCE HIT.

First impressions are that this change makes total sense. Not only does wall jumping actually look like it belongs now—from an animation perspective—this change also NEEDED to happen. Hitting Skulks as a Marine is just way more difficult than the vice-versa scenario. It was a needed change, especially for new players.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    i thought i was imagining things, are skulks actually much slower?

If they made skulks slower, they need to remove the ability for marines to jump backwards and maintain speed when they cant walk backwards at full.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    In the patch notes it said they removed skulks erratic movement.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    First impressions are that this change makes total sense. Not only does wall jumping actually look like it belongs now—from an animation perspective—this change also NEEDED to happen. Hitting Skulks as a Marine is just way more difficult than the vice-versa scenario. It was a needed change, especially for new players.

Bunny hopping has the advantage of being both fast and predictable. Was expecting it.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    so far my performace decrease more that before, also loading times are bigger so far. not happy
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    I felt like the skulk was slower but just assumed it was my imagination. As a lerk I think my hitbox was much larger / easier to hit - I got killed many times from using old tactics where I would normally survive in the distance - seems like marines can pick off lerk much easier now at range.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Myself and others I play with have noticed a pretty massive (20 - 30 frame) performance decrease. How do you do a performance profile thing again?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Jekt wrote: »
    Myself and others I play with have noticed a pretty massive (20 - 30 frame) performance decrease. How do you do a performance profile thing again?

Profile in console.

• CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    Strange that so many people are reporting lower framerates, I've experienced the exact opposite with this patch. It's more stable and generally higher than it used to be.
  • jyskjysk Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183473Members
    edited March 2013
    A new content upgrade is always nice, thanks UWE. The new map is big and looks really nice. ;)

Anyway, I dont understand the new cloak technique. When in alien vision mode I dont see if i am cloaked or not. I also dont know whether i am still cloaked when moving. Do I get visible when I am moving with Camouflage now?
    edited March 2013
    It's a brutal shift in performance for me, with a 4.4Ghz processor. 60-80fps from 100+ in the early game. Anything past 4 minutes when things start to tech up I don't get much above 40. Ouch.
    edited March 2013
    Cloaking off the shade was behaving bizarrely in my last match. Structures and players would randomly decloak instantly then slowly cloak again almost like a pulse. It made it difficult to tell what was actually cloaked as a comm and was just plain annoying to look at.

edit: This was probably tick rate related.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Anyone running full screen windowed, heads up. Might be cause of performance hit.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128488/vsync-in-full-screen-window-mode#latest
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Jekt wrote: »
    It's a brutal shift in performance for me, with a 4.4Ghz processor. 60-80fps from 100+ in the early game. Anything past 4 minutes when things start to tech up I don't get much above 40. Ouch.

Same here. Well I grew to expect these things with every patch so what can we really do. At this point significant increases are unlikely on lua so I am unsure of what to expect in the future. :(

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Skulks definitely feel slower, maps feel brighter, slight performance hit, new refinery is much better but smelting marine start is horrible once bile is out, rails are kind of cool, sad to see no dual rails out, alien win rate will plummet in the next week while half the alien team is gorged throwing babblers at each other.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The bile bomb changes are great. I tried my typical game ending strat and it didn't work! :)