Change. Log.

CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
I want to know what's in the "Much more"

Comments

• godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    -Added new skin for gorge, "gorgeous".
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    I'm sure one will be posted when the new build actually comes out. :)
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited February 2013
    while there's no change log, let's discuss potential balance concerns.

is the railgun really going to compensate for new alien toys?

don't get me wrong; everything about the update looks AWESOME (i'm especially excited about the blood/bullet decals). however the game is still very frustrating to play as marine when you have an unsavvy team (more than an unsavvy alien team).

the railgun is a hard choice for me already, because i still expect shotgun + jetpack + mines + welder will be a more reliable kit.

anyway wth - i'll still have a lot of fun with the new content regardless and i'm sure any balance issues will be taken care of eventually.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    i even got a belly for this :P ( i havent had it before the winter... ffs?!! must be related to this patch :P!)

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    We can only hope they at least attempt to fix balance and performance by implementing some major gameplay changes.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am guessing the railgun is going to be more of a sidegrade, but personally I'd like to see the chaingun become less powerful and single chaingun exo cheaper.

I think it needs to be a more viable option that people consider buying, whilst the railgun (after a lot of $ in research to get to this upgrade) should be as powerful as it looks.

I don't like the current situation where it is basically JPs or EXO, as people tend to go JP. So having a more affordable EXO would perhaps be a good middle ground and possible alternative to an HMG.
    edited February 2013
    Runteh wrote: »
    I am guessing the railgun is going to be more of a sidegrade, but personally I'd like to see the chaingun become less powerful and single chaingun exo cheaper.

I think it needs to be a more viable option that people consider buying, whilst the railgun (after a lot of $ in research to get to this upgrade) should be as powerful as it looks.

I don't like the current situation where it is basically JPs or EXO, as people tend to go JP. So having a more affordable EXO would perhaps be a good middle ground and possible alternative to an HMG.

obviously pure speculation on my part, but i expect the railgun will be a significant advantage. i expect it will be true to 'sniper' class weapons and reward skill more than the sloppy 'spray gun'. that's what i'm hoping anyway - even so; i'm not sure that would match the versatility/utility of jetpack.

imo a good direction for 'endgame' marines would be a mix of EXO and jetpacks... rather than mass jetpack or mass EXO. if EXO railgun rewards skill then maybe it will be a worthy sidegrade to jetpacks.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Changelog is soon. There's lots of little tweaks here and there beyond what's obvious in the trailer. Patience. =)
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    My speculation is that railgun exo is intended to be a replacement for single-minigun exo that will be removed from the game (because honestly, single-minigun exo is pretty much useless). Thus it is less of side-grade/upgrade/downgrade for dual minigun exo and more a brand new 50 res exo that finally differentiates the two exo variants.

edited February 2013
    Lt. Lizard wrote: »
    My speculation is that railgun exo is intended to be a replacement for single-minigun exo that will be removed from the game (because honestly, single-minigun exo is pretty much useless). Thus it is less of side-grade/upgrade/downgrade for dual minigun exo and more a brand new 50 res exo that finally differentiates the two exo variants.

darn... i was still gingerly hoping for a dual railgun variant :D
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Exos need some buffs on top of getting the railgun option to be honest, they're simply not as much as a gamechanger as onos are for the same amount of res, unless aliens somehow don't have bilebomb yet.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CodeCowboy wrote: »
    I want to know what's in the "Much more"
    A very long list of bugfixes :)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I am not bothered at all, but if that is the case then some people are going to be buying into this and questioning the "much more" part.
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Changelog is soon. There's lots of little tweaks here and there beyond what's obvious in the trailer. Patience. =)

They are rarely if ever used in competitive matches. JPs tend to be the weapon of choice. Quite simple, JPs provide something that EXOs just cant.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Xarius wrote: »
    We can only hope they at least attempt to fix balance and performance by implementing some major gameplay changes.

There's some balance tweaks but nothing breathtaking that Im aware of.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2013
    Runteh wrote: »
    I am not bothered at all, but if that is the case then some people are going to be buying into this and questioning the "much more" part.
    Narfwak wrote: »

They are rarely if ever used in competitive matches. JPs tend to be the weapon of choice. Quite simple, JPs provide something that EXOs just cant.

I think that's as much a function of the small team size used in competitive matches as the merits of the techs themselves. Exosuits need other players near them as they're pretty vulnerable in close quarters or without someone to help top up the chipping damage from lerks and gorges, and with five marines on the field in a 6v6 game you just don't have enough bodies for that to be practical.

Either way there's a lot of tweaks to overall balance on both sides and you'll get to see it all in a few hours anyway. =D
  • BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members
    Xarius wrote: »

There's some balance tweaks but nothing breathtaking that Im aware of.

No worries, we know some other places, where balance can come from ;)

I'm more interested in final spawn system changes, cause that can affect balance. Babblers look exciting, but I don't expect them to be a serious weapon. Railgun is not much of use either. Choo-choo still comes 10 minutes earlier.