Power Node Change

mezimorsmezimors Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35865Members
As an old NS1 hand I have my own personal issues with power nodes, but it is as it is and I accept it. I have noticed some of the current community not being too pleased with the power nodes, and here are my suggestions, followed by my thoughts. You more intelligent members of the community, please feel free to contribute or nix my idea.

The suggestion:
1) Have three weaker power nodes that are more easily built per a room
2) Start the game with two power nodes built in each room except MS and AS, where all or none will be built.
3) When all are built, lights on; when all are destroyed, lights off; when only one is built, structures are powered; when two are built, emergency lights (the red flashing lights).

The reasoning:
You are all familiar with powernodes and how they work. I will detail why I suggest in reverse order from the above.

This change in the system allows for the following:
1) More choice in defense of power nodes.
2) More flexibility with covert phasegates (that is, only building one power node, then building the pg in the dark).
3) Makes the contrast between owned and contested areas even more clear. (if there is sufficient life on the powernodes, the aliens will see it as a secondary priority to kill when there are marines nearby, resulting in contested areas usually existing with the emergency lights on.)
4) Allows aliens to defend their hives in pitch black.
5) Prevents the current shut down of everything in MS from only one building.

Any way, a few thoughts. I lurk more than I post, and I don't have the time or energy I used to for either NS1 or NS2, but take the idea, play with it, see what you all think.

Regards.
-M

Comments

• whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wouldn't it be easier to just build the powernode and have an additional "activate" option?

It's already intense to build all the other stuff.
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    edited February 2013
    personally i think the power node weakness is not a balance issue of the game but rather a map balance issue for putting it in a place that is easy to get at with a bile bomb for example, if the nodes were placed in a harder to reach area that is easier to defend you would likely see a decrease in the amount of node sniping.

I do however have a grave issue with the lack of warning system when said power node is being attacked, many times I have been com and had the power go off without any kind of warning, in some part yes I should be watching with an observatory but one cannot watch everything at once hence the need for at least a warning system and perhaps a little more health on the node to allow some leeway to respond to such a threat.

All that being said, i do find your idea interesting and would certainly try it out to see how viable it is as a working mechanic. Although i think the emergency lights should be on the first node and buildings on the second, you can still build in the dark it just means that you will need to get 2 nodes to like 90% then get your structures up then finish off the power. This would make getting covert gates a little more challenging but i feel it would make more sense as lights take less power than buildings, also if your power goes out on structures at least you will have some light to still fight instead of pitch black.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this is a fine idea, it might be too complicated in the end, but it could work. I like that it allows aliens to kill power in unclaimed rooms as well as rooms marines have claimed. It also makes it a bit harder to rush the powernodes. Not impossible, if you rush as a team, you could just divide your forces, but in theory it could give commanders/marines more warning, that power is being killed.

It could be interesting to try out.