AMD Bulldozer Quad core 3.6 Ghz FOR NS2?

FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi, does anyone have this CPU? How much fps would I expect with it and what settings? Resolution would be 1920x1080°

edit: oops, can a mod move this to general? I don't know why it's here

Comments

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's pretty impossible to answer that properly, because it depends on the GPU you pair it with and the general messiness of the user.
    If you pile every driver, toolbar and trojan on your PC, even a hi-end system will slow down to a crawl.
    On top of that you can do pretty amazing stuff to your hardware by e.g. buying a low-quality underperforming power supply unit.

Also, at what graphics settings?
    If I tone everything down to low and play @ 640x480 my NS2 runs lightning fast and looks like shit.

Finally, a reference point:
    I have an "old" Phenom II X4 @ 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR III RAM @ 1333, HD6870, 24 inch monitor @ 1920x1200, NS2 installed on Vertex3 Max IOPS 120GB SSD
    This runs at about 40fps with everything set to max except ambient occlusion and texture streaming.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    edited February 2013
    Well, graphics card would be Radeon HD 6770 GDDR5 1 GB
    I just want to know, if I would get 40+ fps even in the end game @ 1920x1080 resolution.
    I'm just hoping to see someone with that cpu and posting his fps.

p.s. 40 fps when? No action? End game action?
  • Mike!Mike! Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143281Members
    I have that processor, and an AMD HD 6700 gfx card. and I can't really play this game, despite the fact that I have my processor over clocked to 4.41 GHz and my graphics card over clocked a bit. Can play other games fine, except this one... I don't like this processor to be honest, even when over clocked it still seems to suck. But maybe that's my graphics card sucking, I don't know. I also have 8 gigs of DDR3 ram.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Mike! wrote: »
    I have that processor, and an AMD HD 6700 gfx card. and I can't really play this game, despite the fact that I have my processor over clocked to 4.41 GHz and my graphics card over clocked a bit. Can play other games fine, except this one... I don't like this processor to be honest, even when over clocked it still seems to suck. But maybe that's my graphics card sucking, I don't know. I also have 8 gigs of DDR3 ram.
    With a pc and cpu like that, is it even possible to not be able to play NS2? :D

• JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have you looked at r_stats while playing?

The waiting on GPU and render Thread part is what interests me.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    edited February 2013
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2048730/#Comment_2048730

See my comment in the above thread. I've the next gen of that chip (EDIT: Vishera) running @4.1 (aka Turbo Mode), so expect much less.

Since 239, my starting in-game FPS is slightly higher while the low end is still the same.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bulldozer does not suck. It does have poor single threaded performance which is what ns2 needs because ns2 uses 1 core and .05% of the second. Bulldozer does suck for ns2. Bulldozer does have really great mulithreaded performance. People who encode a lot of videos like youtube video makers really make use of bulldozers cores. Bulldozer is worse than phenom for single threaded. Piledriver, it successor is actually not that bad and competes with the 2500k.

Mike, your 6770 does have something to do with it but not as much as your processor.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Moved to General Discussion as requested. - GISP
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    I don't want to get called a fanboy, but just get an i5. It'll be slightly more expensive but it will blow anything amd has out of the water. I used to be an AMD guy, and I had a ton of different AMD cpus. K6-2, to Duron. After I upgraded from the Athlon XP 2700+, I went to a Q6600 and was blown away. Since then I've gone to an i5 and stayed there. Way worth it.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I just got an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black for $85(less than half the price of an i5), running at 3.8, never drop below 45 fps end game with everything on high @1920x1080 (- ambient occusion)

P.S. Stays at 44c with stock cooler, I'm gonna be OCing it higher when i get the chance (its only a $100 chip, so no great risk). This CPU is cheap and effective if you already have an AM3 socket mobo. OC the crap out of it!
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Benson wrote: »
    I just got an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black for $85(less than half the price of an i5), running at 3.8, never drop below 45 fps end game with everything on high @1920x1080 (- ambient occusion)

P.S. Stays at 44c with stock cooler, I'm gonna be OCing it higher when i get the chance (its only a $100 chip, so no great risk). This CPU is cheap and effective if you already have an AM3 socket mobo. OC the crap out of it!

That's just it though. Do you want to spend $85 and get 45FPS late game, or do you want to spend $200 and get 120FPS late game.

As far as temperatures go, with a cheapo water cooler (59.99) I get 4.8Ghz and 45C full load with throttlestop. Its really a matter of money. Is $200 way out of budget? If so, go AMD. IF not, get the Intel.

• briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    It's sad because I am an AMD fan, but there's still no reason to buy an AMD cpu for gaming these days.

NS2 is much more CPU dependent than most other games. Pay a little extra, get the i5 3570k and you'll be happy you did.
    edited February 2013
    120FPS late game... sure.
    You also got leprechauns in your garden, right?

Pretty much everyone and anyone across the forums is complaining about the performance; some of them got pretty over-prized Intel gear.
    And they complain just as well.

Unless you turn everything to low and reduce resolution way below FullHD, you won't see 120FPS.
    Which makes me wonder: Do you just make those numbers up as you go or is your set of Intel-made rose tinteds really THAT reality-proof?
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

That's odd, because I have X4 955@3.4Ghz (+GTX560Ti), and I have to turn off shadows, bloom and occlusion, switch resolution to 1600x900, and my fps still drops down to 30-35 in some late game action. At least in pub play. In 6vs6 matches performance is much better.
    edited February 2013
    NS2 is pretty much the definition of a CPU-bound game.
    Having a juicier GPU can't hurt, but the CPU will take the cake.

There are 2 ways to score at CPU performance:
    a) IPC or b) simple, brute clock speed

The current Intel architecture is pretty good at IPC, while AMDs Piledriver is mainly scoring via high clocks.
    Ideally, you wanna combine both both (i.e. overclock a strong IPC CPU) to get the biggest performance.

Still, NS2 somehow manages to run like a hog, even on Intel gear that's heavily overclocked which makes me sad, because as a fan who has bought 5 copies so far I'd like to see it run (smoothly) on all my friends' PCs.

Could someone who is not in bed with the Intel viral marketing divison post their real world results please?
    Oh, there we go: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/128227/possible-120-fps/p1

@Neoken:
    Maybe he is measuring FPS by going to the graphics menu and looking at the counter there?
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Get an i5. I played the game now for months on a AMD sempron 145 on 2,8 ghz single core with a secret unlocked core and could get "ok" fps to endgame with most settings on low. The i5 blows it all away. Even if i got all people on the server in one room fighting for a hive everything stays smooth. I got mine for 150 Euro and it's really worth the little extra cost.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have an amd fx6100, 8gb ddr3, and a 2gb radeon hd 7850.

My monitor is only 1280x1024 @ 75hz.

I have shadows and ambient occlusion off. Everything else is high.

Performance is great. Obviously, if I were running 1080p, this might not be the case.

I'm already heavily invested in this rig, so I'm not switching to intel at this point, but I am probably going to upgrade to the fx8350.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    LOL @ the 120 fps late game comment.

Anyway to actually respond to the OPs question, I would guess you would see 40-60 FPS early game tapering down to 20-30 late game on medium to high graphics settings. It will get pretty choppy at times if you turn everything up and join a 24 player server. I would suggest going with either an i5 or if you want to stick with AMD get an FX-6300 , FX-8320, or perhaps even the X4 965 and overclock it but honestly I would be afraid to try that.

Personally I have an FX-8320 clocked at 4ghz and it runs NS2 pretty smooth at high settings. I will see 150-200 fps in ready room, 60-80 fps early game (depending on the # of players in the server) , and 40-50 late game with occasional drops to 30's when theres all 24 players throwing everything they have in a fight.
  • hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
    Have i7 (4 physical & 4 logical cores running at 3.07 before boost)

Running off a 840pro SSD (doesn't really help with fps...but loads up quick ;) )

2 GTX 670's

Run it at 1080 res, Everything as high as it can go.

............Average 60 FPS (140+ in ready room ;) )

Used to be running a GTX 295 (any body wanna buy it?) it ran the game at 40 fps, (alot of settings turned down tho)

Moral of the story is, most(all?) people ain't running this game with 100+ fps with everything maxed out with BIG rigs (not that mine is) so its ok ;)
    joederp wrote: »
    LOL @ the 120 fps late game comment.

Anyway to actually respond to the OPs question, I would guess you would see 40-60 FPS early game tapering down to 20-30 late game on medium to high graphics settings. It will get pretty choppy at times if you turn everything up and join a 24 player server. I would suggest going with either an i5 or if you want to stick with AMD get an FX-6300 , FX-8320, or perhaps even the X4 965 and overclock it but honestly I would be afraid to try that.

Personally I have an FX-8320 clocked at 4ghz and it runs NS2 pretty smooth at high settings. I will see 150-200 fps in ready room, 60-80 fps early game (depending on the # of players in the server) , and 40-50 late game with occasional drops to 30's when theres all 24 players throwing everything they have in a fight.

Why is that funny? In a 7v7 I was getting 118 fps as marine start was dying on Veil.
    Hamlet wrote: »
    120FPS late game... sure.
    You also got leprechauns in your garden, right?

Pretty much everyone and anyone across the forums is complaining about the performance; some of them got pretty over-prized Intel gear.
    And they complain just as well.

Unless you turn everything to low and reduce resolution way below FullHD, you won't see 120FPS.
    Which makes me wonder: Do you just make those numbers up as you go or is your set of Intel-made rose tinteds really THAT reality-proof?

As I said, 7v7, on veil, 118fps during marine start dying. I'm sorry that you're stuck with something that performs poorly, that may explain your anger.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    I screened my phenom x4 with 6850 running at 40fps+ late game in some of earlier posts. My new i5 almost doubles that with fewer drops. I5 blows the phenom out of the water. Same vertex 3 ssd on 6gb which I think does increase fps smoothness and load times (usually first or second into each map) 8gb ram (1833 8-8-8-27). It isn't a 2500 though, only a 2400 oc to 3.8)

AMD is decent for the money but don't expect it to rock your world. Clock rate beats cores in ns2 anyway. If you can get a dual core to 4ghz+ then it will beat a quad 3.6
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Might as well toss in my anecdotal results. Phenom II 555Black running just shy of 3.8 with a 5850 and I start out around 40-45 fps. About the time fades usually show up I'm struggling to keep it at a consistent 30, and late game with everyone in hive rooms it's not uncommon to see dips below 20. This is with everything on low, the resolution at 1280x720, and never more than 18 player. 24 player servers get unplayable much sooner so I don't bother joining them.

When I check out r_stats, the waiting on render is always (what looks like) 8 to (on very bad days) 20 and waiting on the GPU is always 0. I was thinking of getting the fastest chip my board could take and seeing how that works, but I've just about talked myself into building an Intel PC from scratch, since this machine runs everything else I play fine so the wife or kids could get plenty of use from it.
  • LawparkLawpark Join Date: 2003-03-27 Member: 14949Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but since it is clearly obvious this game is not designed for a multi-threaded world, is there any way to update the code? That way we can put all our processors to work, even if it is just for a few simple tasks, it would be great to push them off into more threads.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013

That's just it though. Do you want to spend $85 and get 45FPS late game, or do you want to spend $200 and get 120FPS late game.

As far as temperatures go, with a cheapo water cooler (59.99) I get 4.8Ghz and 45C full load with throttlestop. Its really a matter of money. Is $200 way out of budget? If so, go AMD. IF not, get the Intel.

Not gonna even try to argue that a Phenom II is better than an i5, i5 wins hands down. Problem was, I would also have needed a new mobo along with that $200 CPU, upgrade bill becomes around $300-$350 as opposed to $85 (since i wouldn't get a crap mobo with that sexy CPU), which is out of my price range atm. As is, that Phenom was the cheapest path to better FPS since i dont feel bad cranking up the clock speed, and already had an AM3 mobo. :D
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Yes. You do what Valve did with TF2. You take one system at a time and make it a thread. Sounds easy, right? Unfortunately, parallel programming has progressed the least in the last 30 years than most everything else. There are no tools or languages (save for something like Google's Go) that specialize in making it easy, automated, or bug free. This type of programming creates the most esoteric errors that are often next to impossible to replicate reliably.

The "Good" part is that a game engine has many segmented parts that can be completely separated from other code, expect for the public API. For example, the ass-end of a sound engine only needs to play waveforms with some effects applied. The front end of this process, however, needs to know the map to cull out or dull out certain sounds. Similarly, things like the ass-end of animations systems, also, easily fit into this scenario of something that just needs some data feed into it with little to no responses needed. Particles systems, also, are an extremely likely candidate.

The bad part is that half or more of CPU time is spent on the scripting, so even splitting up the rest of the engine into threads can only address less than 20%* of the total CPU time.

Lawpark wrote: »
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but since it is clearly obvious this game is not designed for a multi-threaded world, is there any way to update the code? That way we can put all our processors to work, even if it is just for a few simple tasks, it would be great to push them off into more threads.

• WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Is my 5800K APU 3.8Ghz (4.2 in turbo) decent?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Lawpark wrote: »
    Games in general are poorly suited for multi-threading. Instead, most of the performance improvements focus on making the code run faster rather than offloading them onto other cores.