Not VAC Secure.

2»

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Could always do what someone in TFC did. They created a hack and released it so other people could download it/use it. This hack however logged anyone who used it. After it was out some time, the creator of the hack released a list to the public of everyone who had used his hack. Needless to say... shit.. .hit .. the ... fan..... when that information came to light. A number of competitive players got caught red-handed that day........
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SanCo wrote: »
    Runteh wrote: »

As the devs have said, if you do find someone cheating then try and find out what it is. I can't remember who you contact, but the website/file can be added to VAC so that it recognises the hack.

Also all these claims of 'getting round VAC' are probably BS, as it is probably associated with your account and you'd probably have to hack Steam. I'm not sure how happy Valve would be about that.

first you say the hacks needs to be recognised, then getting around VAC is bs? Decide. One way to get around it is to use a unique private hack, if you mean getting around a vac ban, yea thats BS. Once banned you stay banned.

Yeah, following up from the OP about how VAC doesn't work because players are getting around it. Or have private accounts or something. I'm saying that if you are banned, you can't get around it as it is linked to your account. Well, I am sure there is always a way around these things, though I am also sure it would require hacking into Steam servers.

I am 100% sure VAC does not globally ban your account. All the people on here saying accounts are globally banned are talking BS. I have been banned like I said (granted this was about 6 years ago) and only CS stopped working online.

Imagine if all your multiplayer games stopped working. Some people have invested hundreds, sometimes thousands in their Steam accounts.

Being banned from playing a game for X months is a good deterrent, despite all the negativity on here. You'll not know what is on the ban list until you lose access to the game, and that is a scary thought.

Imagine if some guy from ARC suddenly changed his STEAM ID, it would arouse a lot of suspicion. That is the trick really, to log STEAM IDs. If someone does slip up and has to create a new account and buy the game again, you'll soon know about it.

Honestly, I have seen so many posts on here about hacking. But the same sort of thing was being thrown about just less than a decade ago, and yet people are still able to.

VAC is fine as a counter-measure to hacking, along with consistency checking. As long as this sort of stuff is kept up to date in the constant war against this sort of thing, that is best you can do.

First person will make a difference though I imagine, though spotting aim-botters (at the extreme end) is not hard. I see posts about aim-botters on public servers, I am sure he was, etc. Even when they are being used in their weakest form it is not hard to see a twitching crosshair, the movement is quite obviously not human.

I remember playing on 30 man public servers during the bad times in CS, the round would begin, and then half the team would be instantly killed by some teleporting aim-botter. Or some guy would run through the level like superman and HS everyone, going so fast he was a blur.

Has anyone actually seen players that go into rooms with 3 Skulks, and they all die in less than they time it takes to expend a clip? I am yet to see a single video of this.

P.s. I know there are different levels and settings for all these kinds of hacks. Some can be used very subtly, but griefers on public servers are obvious when they go on.

• awwwsnapawwwsnap Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160066Members
    matso wrote: »
    Rich_ wrote: »
    okay thanks for the clarification. So if for example, vac banned account STEAM_0:0:32734019 is in an NS2 server, he is in fact using a bypass or hack, correct?

You can have VAC bans for one game and continue to play other games - VAC bans are not global. So you can't draw that conclusion without knowing more.

Eh... pretty sure you're wrong there. I had an extra account years ago that only had original HL games/mods on it. I got VAC banned on that account, and still couldn't join other games that were VAC secure. They may have changed it since then, but I know for a fact VAC bans at least used to be global. I haven't seen any evidence that suggests it was changed either...
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    It's sad because I found it on the official website in 30 second.

It used to be "global", but they changed it a long time ago.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well I got banned (in a morale sense) wrongly, and couldn't play CS on that account for a while. Hackers may annoy people, but from the business side of things it doesn't make any sense. Also, if you get a smack on the wrist and get banned from playing your favourite game, the likelihood is that you probably won't do it again.

I think it is unfair to globally ban someone, so it is the right call imo.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    I've updated Better NS2 to allow servers to make VAC bans work globally if they choose to. That is, someone caught cheating in NS1 or another VAC secured game won't be able to enter the NS2 server. It's currently enabled on the HBZ servers. Type "b" in the console to view the current status.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The OP's misunderstanding of the implementation of VAC in NS2 appears to have been clarified. This thread has degenerated into an argument about competing cheat mitigation systems that doesn't belong in the NS2 general discussion forum.
This discussion has been closed.